Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

75 Mini Boxes - Gone?

For the first time in a long time, I don't see 75 mini wax boxes available at BBCE. Did the last group rip eat up the remaining inventory? If/When they come back in stock, will the price move at all?

I feel like the availability through Steve kept prices constant for some time, but now that they're gone (if they're gone) will we see more popping up with prices over $2250?

For the time being, my box is still earmarked for ripping, but I am curious as to the thoughts of others.

Thanks.
52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

Comments

• Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Depends on how long he is out. A lot of boxes went at this level over the last few months. Of course, we will have ripped/parted out at least 6 of them here.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Very few left I am quite positive. Jim (MiniDuff) is sitting on pure gold with his unopened case! The mini collectors agreed that the boxes were gold a few years ago at 800.00 - I believe the boxes will be 3000.00 in 2-3 years (best guess).
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I have read and heard this was the first product that was bought up by collectors and much of it was hoarded unopened.

Even with boxes being broken, I am sure there is a lot of unopened out there that is sitting on shelves in peoples basement that won't be opened until the current owner dies.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I will never touch anther mini box again.I have had 4 or 5 boxes in the last several years and IMO the quality control leaves a lot to be desired.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    I am sure there is a lot of unopened out there that is sitting on shelves in peoples basement

I hope you're correct. That would great if some of those boxes would be opened and fresh cards show up for our sets. When the last slug of boxes associated with the Conlon collection showed up a few years ago, nice raw mini's were easy to come by at card shows. That's not so much the case anymore.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I am sure there is a lot of unopened out there that is sitting on shelves in peoples basement

I hope you're correct. That would great if some of those boxes would be opened and fresh cards show up for our sets. When the last slug of boxes associated with the Conlon collection showed up a few years ago, nice raw mini's were easy to come by at card shows. That's not so much the case anymore. >>

Don't forget the rest of the statement/opinion, this product isn't going to come on the market until some of the current owners pass away. The way the prices are going you would be a fool to open any.

Just my thoughts, I couldn't care less about unopened product.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I got the part about some of them staying locked away until the current owners pass. And, I wouldn't open them either, but there are others that would do so. What happened the last time based on my experience (which is admittedly limited), was that boxes were opened, the stars were pulled, and the "discarded" commons sold to dealers. The dealers in turn sold the commons at card shows and I gobbled up as many of the nice ones that I could find at 35-50 cents apiece. Many of those sit in my registry set today, and some were sold to finance other parts of my set. Those were good times.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely less product out there now than 6-7 years ago when the Conlon collection went to auction. A lot of those cases and boxes have been ripped. What we see surfacing from here on out will be fewer and farther between.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    What percentage of '75 mini wax boxes do you think are still unopened?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What percentage of '75 mini wax boxes do you think are still unopened? >>

No way to know the answer to that question, but I'd guess less than 1%.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    i bought them all
  • Options

<< <i>I will never touch another mini box again.I have had 4 or 5 boxes in the last several years and IMO the quality control leaves a lot to be desired. >>

Agree wholeheartedly. You would be either entirely foolish by ignoring all the warnings given by board members or a total adrenaline junkie to crack any more boxes. The unopened are vastly more valuable than the cards you are going to pull. This is why I have been hoarding high end mini cards in holders for years. The remaining unopened will hardly explode the population reports and I believe most of the 26 cases from the Conlon sale have been cracked or stored away in family collections.
    This is such an interesting set with so many side stories - just a joy to collect over the years even after busting 22 boxes with disastrous results for the most part.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!