Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about grading older cards...

I recently inherited some cards from the 50s-70s, and don't really know what to do with them. Does PSA give these cards a break at all on grading, since they are so old? Most of them are off center, and they all have some corner, or fuzzy edge issues. There are some good cards included, but if they are graded to today's standards, they probably won't get more than a 5-6.

Comments

• Options
    You could expect a lot of 5's and 6's then. There really is not a "break" given due to age. On the bright side you'd probably have a lot of cards in there that while they may only grade at a 5 or a 6 it will still increase their value enough to do so. You may want to post a few scans of the better ones here and try to get some opinions. Most of the guys here collect vintage and there's a ton of knowledge available.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Off centered and fuzzy corners sounds like 2-4's. Not worth grading unless they are stars. Post scans.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, let's see some pics. I would grade even low end Mantles or HOF rookies if your intent is to sell them.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    I know that PSA does not have anything written about leniency on older cards. However, experience has taught me that this is a glass half full or half empty situation. Even though we cant say they are easier on vintage cards, they are certainly more strict on newer cards. If not, there can be no explanations as to why cards from the 80's through present, right out of the pack and centered, receive 9's or even 8's, while somehow cards from 60 - 80+ years ago have survived in gem mint condition??????

Other than that, others are correct in asking you to scan some of the star cards. Many of these guys are spot on with their grading and can help you figure out if a card is worth selling raw or getting graded.

Final option is to sell the whole lot to me at a discount and I will handle all the troubles for youimage