Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How is this card possible??

sheet cut? even that, who had a perfectly maintained sheet? recent pack opened and just happened to include it??

Orr BVG 10

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..or a hell of a counterfeit.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    don't even care, that card is insane..
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I ask that question whenever I see any card from before 1960 that carries a "Gem Mint" grade.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Amazing card.
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    That is a sheet cut card. I know who sends these in. He has many BGS 10's of many big hockey cards. No one buys these cards because they are sheet cut and are pretty much worthless to a serious collector. PSA and SGC will never encapsulate these cards. There are many out there.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's been listing that card a _long_ time, several years. I would love to know what some of the high offers have been over the years. $250k doesn't sound all that far off what I'd have expected it to be worth IMO, even if it is beyond ridiculously out of my range.
  • Options
    Just because it is in a BGS holder does not mean it is sheet cut. Most of these cards are just flat out trimmed. Sheet cut and trimmed are not the same thing and it seems that most people here think they are. I know the result is the same, but clearly many of these sheets are not just sitting around. These are just doctored cards and a large majority of them end up in BGS and PSA holders eventually.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These are just doctored cards and a large majority of them end up in BGS and PSA holders eventually. >>

You're forgetting one image
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options

<< <i>I ask that question whenever I see any card from before 1960 that carries a "Gem Mint" grade. >>

agreed, I think all gem mints or most mints something is wrong.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping for a discussion of the 89 Upper Deck Gary Pettis.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    What I want to know is why is Orr popping up in a Maple Leafs vs. Canadiens game?
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What I want to know is why is Orr popping up in a Maple Leafs vs. Canadiens game? >>

I loved that question last time it came up on this board over the summer. I have looked at this card for years, and until then had never noticed that part.

I think the budget was low for NHL teams back in the day so there weren't enough full-time scouts or video coaches, and so the NFG had to go check out other teams to help with the game plan.
  • Options
    Full sheets are not as uncommon as you would think. This seller has told me that he sends sheet cut cards to Beckett. He also submits cards to KSA and PSA.
  • Options
    I guess head back in the sand.
  • Options

<< <i>Sheet cut and trimmed are not the same thing and it seems that most people here think they are. I know the result is the same, but clearly many of these sheets are not just sitting around. >>

Yeah because clearly there's tons of super oversized cards just sitting around that can be trimmed on all 4 edges and still be slightly oversized.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sheet cut and trimmed are not the same thing and it seems that most people here think they are. I know the result is the same, but clearly many of these sheets are not just sitting around. >>

Yeah because clearly there's tons of super oversized cards just sitting around that can be trimmed on all 4 edges and still be slightly oversized. >>

a)It doesn't have to be super oversized to start with or finish noticably undersized. Thousands upon thousands of cards are in holders that are "Mini-Mes".

b)I know it is hard to believe, but many cards need only 1 edge removed or cut to clean it up.

c)Cards are, more often than not, oversized straight from the factory. This doesn't mean they are supersize or whatever, but they have leeway on any or all sides to remove potential damage. Feel free to buy a small metal ruler and start lining up your cards to see just how common this is.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand this whole sheet-cut theory that keeps getting tossed around. We've all seen sheets, right? They are typically more tore up and haggard than most regular cards because they're very difficult to store since you can't necessarily place them in anything to protect them. Most of the time they're rolled up. It would be more difficult to find a mint sheet than it would be to find a mint card. Every time I see someone claim "sheet-cut" it makes me shake my head.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idea that ultra high grade vintage cards can't exist is fallacious. Obviously they are not common. I talked to a smaller dealer at a show recently who had several PSA 8.5 and PSA 9 1956 baseball commons. I always love a story so I asked him where they came from. He had found a collection containing 1952-1956. The earlier cards were well-used, but the '56's had never been handled because the buyer was getting too old for cards and just let them sit. He told me he sees this phenomenon a lot.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand this whole sheet-cut theory that keeps getting tossed around. We've all seen sheets, right? They are typically more tore up and haggard than most regular cards because they're very difficult to store since you can't necessarily place them in anything to protect them. Most of the time they're rolled up. It would be more difficult to find a mint sheet than it would be to find a mint card. Every time I see someone claim "sheet-cut" it makes me shake my head. >>

More difficult to find a mint sheet than a mint card? Of course. But, even in poor condition, a sheet can possibly still contain some mint cards.

Back in 1980, I had a 1980 Topps set, plus 6 Rickey Henderson rookies. By the early 90s, none of the star cards were mint. If I had bought some 1980 Topps sheets in 1980, I'm sure by the early 90s they'd have plenty of wear, but I'd say there's a very good chance that at least some of the star cards would still be mint. It's not like I would have handled them every few days like I did with the single cards. Plus, cards that aren't along the edge have built-in protection. They don't even have corners (yet).

Also, every card on sheet can have 50/50 centering, right?
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand this whole sheet-cut theory that keeps getting tossed around. We've all seen sheets, right? They are typically more tore up and haggard than most regular cards because they're very difficult to store since you can't necessarily place them in anything to protect them. Most of the time they're rolled up. It would be more difficult to find a mint sheet than it would be to find a mint card. Every time I see someone claim "sheet-cut" it makes me shake my head. >>

The dealer in question showed me the sheets at a card show in 1991. They were rolled up in tubes for storage. At the time, he suggested framing them. While every card on a sheet won't be mint, some will be and often a rare 10 sells for more than the sheet. Worn and banged up sheets seem to be readily available on ebay but won't yield mint cards.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

I tend to agree.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think too many people that are relatively new to the hobby have ANY idea what's out there in personal collections.

I have only been collecting since the late 1980's, so I am still a novice as far as I am concerned.

Here's one example; I was talking to an "old timer" dealer at the National in St Louis in about 1991 or so. We were discussing the 1960 Post Cereal "cards" that came on the back of "Grape Nuts" boxes and are about 6"x8".

My comment was they were hard to find, his reply was they had stacks of them at one time and were selling singles for $5.00 each. Now they have nearly disappeared.

Full sheets are less common, but I am betting there are MANY out there in private collections, and in good condition. With the technology out there today, cutting a sheet perfectly would not be that difficult.

That Orr card is unbelievable!!!!! Sheet cut or not WOW!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the card PSA built it's rep on, the famous trimmed Wagner, I've never understood why there is such a backlash against sheet cut cards. Of course there's not as much publicity in grading sheet cut OPC(or other) cards when compared to ye ole Wagner. Even so, most cards are cut from sheets at some point. What's the big deal.