Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Contest with a $20 prize paid with Paypal (looking for going on 6 years!)

I am heading up a baseball card related contest. I will send $20 via PayPal to the first person that finds me the following card for my collection.

The deal is that if you have the card, I will pay you $20 for it. If you find it for me and the card is someone else's (at a website, show, etc) , I will still pay you $20 for finding the card if I buy it. In other words, just give me a successful clue that leads to a purchase and you win the $20.

The card is this - a 2001 Topps Chrome Retrofractors #146 Fernando Tatis.

I have been looking for this common card going on 3 years. It is for my Cardinals team set collection. This part of my team set collection is Topps Chrome and Refractors. I have everyone since they started the Chrome Refractors in 1996 except for this Tatis. Help me find this card and you win $20 via PayPal.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I dont think thats the one. Looks like that is from the TRADED set and its card #31. Shane is looking for the one from the REGULAR set and its card #146.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I dont think thats the one. Looks like that is from the TRADED set and its card #31. Shane is looking for the one from the REGULAR set and its card #146. >>

Exactly. No traded card in an Expos uniform. Only the #146 in a Cardinals uniform. It looks like this card, except it is a refractor.

2001 Topps Chrome Tatis

Shane

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever seen one? Maybe they just didn't make it? Hard to believe a common refractor would be so elusive.

If I had a lead on one for you to buy, you'd get it for free, but I don't. Good luck in your search!
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

<< <i>Have you ever seen one? Maybe they just didn't make it? Hard to believe a common refractor would be so elusive.

If I had a lead on one for you to buy, you'd get it for free, but I don't. Good luck in your search! >>

I have often wondered that. I actually wondered that on about 5 of them from that year. However, 4 of them eventually turned up. The last one I got was the Will Clark Highlight card. I got it a couple of months ago. It took well over 2 years to find it. I have the regular Chrome, but I haven't seen a refractor/retrofractor yet.

Thank you for the kind offer.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>
    I have been looking for this common card going on 3 years. It is for my Cardinals team set collection. This part of my team set collection is Topps Chrome and Refractors. I have everyone since they started the Chrome Refractors in 1996 except for this Tatis. Hep me fund this card and you win $20 via PayPal. >>

That is a hell of a collection. I will keep an eye out. Good luck
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you ever seen one? Maybe they just didn't make it? Hard to believe a common refractor would be so elusive.

If I had a lead on one for you to buy, you'd get it for free, but I don't. Good luck in your search! >>

They're not exactly common. Limited to 500.

I'm working on the Traded Retrofractor set. 43% done so far.

Good luck Shane.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>

They're not exactly common. Limited to 500.

I'm working on the Traded Retrofractor set. 43% done so far.

Good luck Shane. >>

I actually didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Good luck on the set.

Shane

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Really kind of a strange set. In series 1 the retrofractors were green, then in series 2 they made them gold. For the traded series they went back to green.
    Many people think the Gold are harder to find, but they're all printed to 500. Not numbered on the card, but commonly known to be printed to 500.

The traded cards are much easier to find. I think there is a lot of series 1 product that has not been opened, thus sometimes they can be very hard to come by.

<< <i>"Randomly inserted into packs at one in 12, this 661-card set is a complete parallel set of the 2001 Topps Chrome base set. Please note that these cards were produced with Topps Refractor technology." >>

<< <i>All 266 Topps Chrome Traded cards are available as a "Retrofractor" parallel, seeded one in every 12 packs, which are limited (but not serial-numbered) to 500 copies. Retrofractors are so named, because they are Chrome Refractors printed on old fashioned grayback cardstock. 1-99, Traded Veterans. 100-144, Through the Years. 145-150, Magagers. 151-210, Prospects. 211-266, Rookies. >>

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    I can attest to them being hard to come by. This set is by far the hardest to complete from the Refractors run from 1996 to present.

Shane

• Options
    I won't bump this thread very often, maybe once a week, but I will continue to search until I find one. Maybe will help in the search.

Shane

• Options
    Bump to the top.

Shane

• Options
    Finders fee still applies! Still looking!

Shane

• Options
    Still looking! Anybody else want a crack at it?

Shane

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Shane, based on the response so far, that finders fee should be $50.00 or $100.00! LOL (No, I do NOT have the card.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    This must be the regular chrome version and not the retrofractor ?? Even if it's not the retrofractor it looks like they have over 20 available. Maybe shoot them an e-mail an ask about a retrofractor.

2001 Tatis

• Options

<< <i>This must be the regular chrome version and not the retrofractor ?? Even if it's not the retrofractor it looks like they have over 20 available. Maybe shoot them an e-mail an ask about a retrofractor.

2001 Tatis >>

That would be a great idea. I started to do just that, then I noticed the sellers was Burbank Sportscards. They have millions upon millions of cards in their warehouse, but not a single Retrofractor Tatis.

Shane

• Options
    Still looking. Prize is still available.

Shane

• Options
    wow Burbank sportscards has over 1 million items for auction with pictures that is by far the most I've ever seen Did they use those 40 monkeys in a room with typewriters or is there some advanced automated way of getting pictures and listing auctions ?
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wow Burbank sportscards has over 1 million items for auction with pictures that is by far the most I've ever seen Did they use those 40 monkeys in a room with typewriters or is there some advanced automated way of getting pictures and listing auctions ? >>

As I recall, they contracted with Beckett and utilize Beckett's image database to provide stock images for most of their cards. I do not believe that they use their own images or that the images are necessarily of the exact card being offered.
  • Options

<< <i>wow Burbank sportscards has over 1 million items for auction with pictures that is by far the most I've ever seen Did they use those 40 monkeys in a room with typewriters or is there some advanced automated way of getting pictures and listing auctions ? >>

That have a very, very fast scanner. I saw a video about it a few months ago. They almost never listed a card with a picture. Now, they can scan cards very fast, but they are very bad scans. The main thing is that they do not show the edges.

All scans need to show a dark background and a gap between the edge of the card and the edge of the picture.

Shane

• Options
    Still looking for this stupid card for GOING ON 6 FLIPPIN YEARS!

Shane

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Estil
    Is this the right one?

That one is only the Chrome. It looks exactly like that card, but needs to be a Refractor / Retrofractor.

Shane

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    And I thought I was gonna actually win one of these contests for a change... image

That's okay though as long as our Cats are going snippity snip snip on April 4, right? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Absolutely!

Shane

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    So is it safe to say this card does not exist yet?
  • Options
    I was beginning to think so, until I saw a picture of one from a guy that has one. I also happen to know that one sold on comc last year for $0.99. When I found that out this week, I almost threw up in my mouth!

Shane

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I'm holding out until the prize is raised to $40.