Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle PSA 6 Great Centering....

Wow someone just pointed this auction out to me. This is a great looking example. Very rarely do you see one of these in a straight auction.

PSA 6 Mantle on EBAY

25k in less then 24 hours.

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Nice card
  • Options
    Beautiful card.

And a step in the right direction. The images don't appear to be enhanced.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Somehow this card will be the highest priced for a PSA 6 Mantle ever by auction end.
    It is amazing!!!!
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Time to put the biddin' shoes on.
  • Options
    C'mon!!! That couldn't pull a 6.5 lol that's a beautiful 52 mantle!
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    PSA 7

chaz
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    A beautiful card, yes. But that splotch to the right of his ear? I couldn't live with it for that kind of money.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA 7

chaz >>

PSA 6

chaz
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Really surprised it pulled a 6 with the scuff mark and light wrinkle on the border(which it might just be the scan).
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Same card sold on Ebay in Oct 2009, only difference was it was in a holder with a single line PSA grade tag. Tag has been updated to two line tag, and not surprisingly still grades a 6.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Same card sold on Ebay in Oct 2009, only difference was it was in a holder with a single line PSA grade tag. Tag has been updated to two line tag, and not surprisingly still grades a 6. >>

KB what was the price it sold for? Thanks.
  • Options
    It sold for 18.5k in between legit sales of 22k for nicer looking cards. The last 2 sales at 15k and 16k have been awful looking 6's. The current card is a 25k card in today's market for nicely centered cards, but will probably be pushed higher by somebody thinking the card is a lock for a bump. It will take another trip to PSA where the graders will comment, "this card, again."
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    That's a really nice 6. It might bump to a 6.5 but it looks like it'll sell for about a 6.5 price anyway. I think there is too much corner wear for it to ever be a 7.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A beautiful card, yes. But that splotch to the right of his ear? I couldn't live with it for that kind of money. >>

+1

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>A beautiful card, yes. But that splotch to the right of his ear? I couldn't live with it for that kind of money. >>

Unfortunately me either. The splotch is all I see image. Great card though.....
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    why would you challenge any auctioneer to disclose something which is already quite clearly visible? that would be like saying "Hey! Here's the sore thumb!"

i think that any of us would prefer the disclosure of any disruptive feature that doesn't appear as it would when the item is actually in hand. that is where trouble starts with dissatisfied buyers.
  • Options
    i see Leon's comment as a collector's perspective.

i would prefer the most accurate description possible, particularly for a presumed high value item. my eyes work well enough to identify what is clearly visible.

the wolves can't swallow PWCC, either. they've been chewing for a very long time and the auctions still keep churning out. the greater the success, the louder the criticism.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Somehow this card will be the highest priced for a PSA 6 Mantle ever by auction end.
    It is amazing!!!! >>

What is the record for a 6?

A '4' went for over $29k 10 days ago, so expect this 6 to go crazy.
  • Options
    Final day of bidding. 441 watchers on this bad boy. Obviously most of those are spectators like me but a ton of eyeballs none the less.

I am anxious to see where this finishes.

Someone please post the VCP of a PSA 6 Mantle. I don't think those figures tell you much in a rising market and for a card with such strong centering but I am curious what the bench mark is to judge this cards final price against is.

• Options
    Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 6 - Average Price: $15,014.20

0/25/12 Mile High Image 8 $15,014.20
    10/4/11 eBay Image prewarcardcollector q***m 44 $16,645.40
    7/22/11 Greg Bussineau Image 9 $19,440.00
    5/20/11 Mile High Image 12 $16,286.30
    12/27/10 eBay $16,500.00
    5/2/10 REA Image 18 $19,975.00
    1/31/10 Greg Bussineau Image 21 $22,800.00
    10/24/09 eBay Image jlh9287 l***t 28 $18,536.20
    10/2/09 eBay Image sportszone_collectibles 1***e BIN $30,000.00
    5/28/09 Huggins & Scott Image 14 $22,000.00
    8/29/08 Mastro Image 22 $28,800.00
    9/1/07 Mastro 9 $18,826.80
    8/24/07 Goodwin $20,780.00
    4/29/07 REA $18,800.00
    4/28/07 Mastro 10 $17,656.80
  • Options
    Thank you Bobby.

30k plus is the number I would think.
  • Options
    13 minutes to go.
  • Options
    $34,100
  • Options
    Winner Winner Spicy Chicken Dinner! d-drodeo (private)
  • Options
    Double stacked bids means he was willing to go higher. 40% bids with PWCC. Wonder if it will get paid for?
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what it would have sold for if PWCC hadn't mentioned the splotch
  • Options
    The winning bidder only has 28 bid retractions in the past 6 months.
  • Options
    Ebay allows bid retractions, so until Ebay removes that "feature", bid retractions will be used by serious buyers of all types to help them obtain cards. Everyone seems to think the only thing bid retractions are used for is to shill up bids. Bid retractions are also used by serious buyers to see what's going to be needed to win the card. A card is sitting at $500, you want it but you aren't sure what you want to pay. You place a bid and immediately get outbid by the proxy bid. You wonder what it will take to win it, so you bid $5000 and become the high bidder at $760. You retract your bid and wait until the end to snipe what you hope will be the winning bid. Or you could bid $5000 and become the high bidder at $2000 and now you know you have no chance to win it or desire to pay that much, so you retract your bid and move on to the next card. Is it fair? Is it nice? No but it's useful and Ebay allows it and not everybody has unlimited funds to be on the hook for 20 different cards all at once. They can only afford to win a couple of cards and use retractions to budget accordingly. Bid retractions are probably used a lot more for those reasons rather than shilling by the seller, especially larger consignment sellers who just want to move large quantities of items and could really care less what the stuff sells for.
  • Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ebay allows bid retractions, so until Ebay removes that "feature", bid retractions will be used by serious buyers of all types to help them obtain cards. Everyone seems to think the only thing bid retractions are used for is to shill up bids. Bid retractions are also used by serious buyers to see what's going to be needed to win the card. A card is sitting at $500, you want it but you aren't sure what you want to pay. You place a bid and immediately get outbid by the proxy bid. You wonder what it will take to win it, so you bid $5000 and become the high bidder at $760. You retract your bid and wait until the end to snipe what you hope will be the winning bid. Or you could bid $5000 and become the high bidder at $2000 and now you know you have no chance to win it or desire to pay that much, so you retract your bid and move on to the next card. Is it fair? Is it nice? No but it's useful and Ebay allows it and not everybody has unlimited funds to be on the hook for 20 different cards all at once. They can only afford to win a couple of cards and use retractions to budget accordingly. Bid retractions are probably used a lot more for those reasons rather than shilling by the seller, especially larger consignment sellers who just want to move large quantities of items and could really care less what the stuff sells for. >>

Bid what you will pay for it. No need to play games.
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ebay allows bid retractions, so until Ebay removes that "feature", bid retractions will be used by serious buyers of all types to help them obtain cards. Everyone seems to think the only thing bid retractions are used for is to shill up bids. Bid retractions are also used by serious buyers to see what's going to be needed to win the card. A card is sitting at $500, you want it but you aren't sure what you want to pay. You place a bid and immediately get outbid by the proxy bid. You wonder what it will take to win it, so you bid $5000 and become the high bidder at $760. You retract your bid and wait until the end to snipe what you hope will be the winning bid. Or you could bid $5000 and become the high bidder at $2000 and now you know you have no chance to win it or desire to pay that much, so you retract your bid and move on to the next card. Is it fair? Is it nice? No but it's useful and Ebay allows it and not everybody has unlimited funds to be on the hook for 20 different cards all at once. They can only afford to win a couple of cards and use retractions to budget accordingly. Bid retractions are probably used a lot more for those reasons rather than shilling by the seller, especially larger consignment sellers who just want to move large quantities of items and could really care less what the stuff sells for. >>

Bid what you will pay for it. No need to play games. >>

I agree. I have no idea why people do this sort of thing.
  • Options
    Still can not believe there are veteran eBay users that insist on bidding up items instead of sniping, especially on big ticket items where a few extra bids could mean a few extra thousand dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>Bid retractions are also used by serious buyers to see what's going to be needed to win the card. >>

Far more often than not, bid retractions are used to see what's going to be needed to not win the card.

<< <i>Bid retractions are probably used a lot more for those reasons rather than shilling by the seller, especially larger consignment sellers who just want to move large quantities of items and could really care less what the stuff sells for. >>

It's not the consignment sellers doing the bid retractions; it is the consignors.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    KBKards said it perfectly in regards to bid retractions. I don't like what he said; but it's true. When shillings comes in to play it just gets downright nasty.
  • Options

<< <i>I have no idea why people do this sort of thing. >>

they are the best at what they do. therefore, they maintain buyer status while piling up retractions because there is nothing to actively prevent them from doing so.

conclusion made at first glance when checking bid histories, if lead dog has a pile of retractions, move on. the auction has been tainted.

it's just an assumption. better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to kick a bid retractor in the junk, just for fun of it. Seriously, there needs to be some kind of penalty paid for amassing bid retractions, like a suspension of bidding privileges or being kicked off the system.
  • Options
    Mantle 52 Topps

This example is getting some action. I am curious to see what this one sells for.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take the PSA 6 over that tilted Mantle any day.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>Mantle 52 Topps

This example is getting some action. I am curious to see what this one sells for. >>

I think I like the PSA 6 better, the splotch wouldn't bother me as much as the diamond cut would. not to mention the SGC card will probably sell for around $20000 more at least
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mantle 52 Topps

This example is getting some action. I am curious to see what this one sells for. >>

A little too much frosting on the holder for me to have confidence in it.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mantle 52 Topps

A little too much frosting on the holder for me to have confidence in it. >>

Looks good..I have gotten freshly slabbed sgc cards with that type of light frost on it.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That holder is absolutely fine. An AH like that is going to know a bad slab on a high dollar card; they will also make good if something got past the goalie, so to speak. Also, the TPGs often hand cards over hot off the press with even more frosting and stress cracks by the pins.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure, yet as someone who has studied this card for many years, I believe what separates the best from the rest when it comes to #311s is centering (inc. tilt) and a clean surface. An unblemished blue background like the latest Mile High example does wonders for eye appeal; that said, the tilt is quite rugged. I will trade corners for centering and surface all day with the 52 Mantle.

As a side note, I think it's fun to study a ton of examples, then see what the card's endemic flaws are. I then try and seek out examples that are in effect rare because they do not exhibit the usual flaws. There is no pop report for Bird/Magics that don't have the dreaded black line or smudge, or that do have centered panels with respect to the perforations, but collectors know that's rare. Another example would be Gretzky rookies that have a centered oil drop in the team logo. It is a fun way to parse a card's pop and seek out rarity. I'd rather have a centered PSA 8 Gretzky with a centered oil drop than a PSA 9 with poor centering, OC oil drop, and razor corners, because in reality the PSA 8 example is actually rarer despite the pop report indicating otherwise. With the Mantle, for example, how many examples have a blemish-free blue background like the Mile High example, or perfect centering-- as compared to good corners? Looking at cards this way creates a hunt within the hunt, some more fun and also different perspective on a card.

Another noteworthy example is a T205 Cobb. Many achieve a higher grade on corners and edges, but how many do not have a registration issue with red ink shifted onto the baseball and bats and basepaths? These anomalies of eye appeal within a given card's extant pop often lead to a big premium. I can't imagine what I'd pay for a 1978 Brett that is nice and has no broken border. The 1969 Ryan also has a break in the border much of the time. 1963 Roses have much PD in the blue area. 1975 Schmidt is plagued by PD, centering, a blue line at top. A Wilson Franks Ted Williams usually has a tilted top cut, making square cuts more attractive and relatively rare. The list can go on and on of course.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    ^^^ well said. Very interesting comments.

Will also be curious to see where the SGC 3.5 ends up in REA. Great centering, decent surface, but SGC sometimes doesn't get the same respect when it comes to their postwar grading (the ending prices reflect it).

Link to auction - 1 of 4 copies in REA

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Mantle 52 Topps

A little too much frosting on the holder for me to have confidence in it. >>

Looks good..I have gotten freshly slabbed sgc cards with that type of light frost on it. >>

Yep all SGC cases have that much frost.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That holder is absolutely fine. An AH like that is going to know a bad slab on a high dollar card; they will also make good if something got past the goalie, so to speak. Also, the TPGs often hand cards over hot off the press with even more frosting and stress cracks by the pins.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure, yet as someone who has studied this card for many years, I believe what separates the best from the rest when it comes to #311s is centering (inc. tilt) and a clean surface. An unblemished blue background like the latest Mile High example does wonders for eye appeal; that said, the tilt is quite rugged. I will trade corners for centering and surface all day with the 52 Mantle.

As a side note, I think it's fun to study a ton of examples, then see what the card's endemic flaws are. I then try and seek out examples that are in effect rare because they do not exhibit the usual flaws. There is no pop report for Bird/Magics that don't have the dreaded black line or smudge, or that do have centered panels with respect to the perforations, but collectors know that's rare. Another example would be Gretzky rookies that have a centered oil drop in the team logo. It is a fun way to parse a card's pop and seek out rarity. I'd rather have a centered PSA 8 Gretzky with a centered oil drop than a PSA 9 with poor centering, OC oil drop, and razor corners, because in reality the PSA 8 example is actually rarer despite the pop report indicating otherwise. With the Mantle, for example, how many examples have a blemish-free blue background like the Mile High example, or perfect centering-- as compared to good corners? Looking at cards this way creates a hunt within the hunt, some more fun and also different perspective on a card.

Another noteworthy example is a T205 Cobb. Many achieve a higher grade on corners and edges, but how many do not have a registration issue with red ink shifted onto the baseball and bats and basepaths? These anomalies of eye appeal within a given card's extant pop often lead to a big premium. I can't imagine what I'd pay for a 1978 Brett that is nice and has no broken border. The 1969 Ryan also has a break in the border much of the time. 1963 Roses have much PD in the blue area. 1975 Schmidt is plagued by PD, centering, a blue line at top. A Wilson Franks Ted Williams usually has a tilted top cut, making square cuts more attractive and relatively rare. The list can go on and on of course. >>

Nailed it Matty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

There are collectors like you and me that look at centering as crucial and won't touch anything that's off cut. Then here are others who look at picture clarity and/or corners, and don't have an as much of an issue with centering. Then there are those who see nothing but the number grade and subjective opinion of a 3rd party grader. I was aware that the PSA 6 Mantle was almost double the most recent PSA 6's, but I was ok with that....because the centering is extraordinary, and so very difficult to find on the 52T Mantle. The blotch is there, but it adds character to the card (yeah, that's it lol)

I can see why this SGC 84 Mantle would appeal to so many collectors. It's a gorgeous picture with the bluest blue you can find on a Mantle, but not my cup of tea. A diamond cut is a deal killer for me, but for many others no biggies, just like the blotch on my PSA 6 was a deal killer for many in this thread.

All this is why I find the 1971 T Baseball and 1975 T Minis so fun to collect. Centering is all over the place on both, but when you hunt and hunt and finally find that PSA 9 with 50/50 centering, all is right in the baseball card world
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    52 Topps PSA 4

I was searching EBAY for recent auctions and came across this one. This looks like a nice Mantle. Really clean surface and pretty strong centering.

Obviously I am no expert on 52 Mantle's but I like to follow them as they are clearly one of the centerpiece cards of the hobby.

I think anyone could be happy with this example unless they just have big cash to spend.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely a good deal nicer than most of what's been surfacing lately. The usual slight tilt and centering issues are present, but not egregiously so. Would be hard to upgrade that one with a more expensive average 5 holder that isn't so vast an improvement in eye appeal or card quality. Someone who wants one for their collection might jump all over it, then be happy and just hang back in the event a better one surfaces. Healthy price already. Wouldn't look out of place in a 4.5 and some might be bidding into that. I wonder how many offline offers at 17k direct they've gotten. Considering it's THE card for almost everyone, that it's hot as hell right now like many key cards, and that it's pretty nice, I'd say 18k.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Just for the heck of it I checked the SMR pricing for the 1952 Topps Mantle and it has moved up significantly. I still have some SMR's laying around from 2010 and the card in a PSA 8 was listed for $75,000.

The pricing has moved up to $150,000 in that grade and the liner notes cite a sale from 2014 of $179,250.

This card on average has outperformed the SP 500 during that time frame. I doubt you will read any stories online pointing this out and instead they will say baseball card collecting for the most part is dead.

Time and time again the same philosophy seems to work. Buy the best cards in the best condition that you can.