Home Sports Talk
Options

Best format for NFL overtime?

Here's the format for O/T that I'd like to see the NFL use- the first team to score 6 in overtime, wins. Simple. So if you score a TD on the kickoff or your first possession, you've earned the win. Or the first team to get 2 FGs wins it.

I think it'd be exciting and make for good strategy. If a game goes into O/T tied at 24, the first first team receiving might get a FG, and make it 27-24. Now, the other team can win with a TD.
But if they fail to get a TD, the first team can win it with its second FG. Under this format, the team that kicks off in O/T would get a chance at an O/T possession as long the defense/special teams doesn’t allow a TD. I think that's fair enough.

I say make the winning team get 6 in O/T, and getting 6 wins it.

What does everyone think?

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    That is in essence of what they have now.......(not quite but a FG does not end the game like it used to)
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    I've never understood why the rules in OT are different from the regular game. I would think a 15 minute period, with whomever is ahead, wins. If it's tied? Go another period.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They probably limit OT to 1 quarter due to time and players ability to play any longer.

At least a FG doesn't win it on 1st possession like it used to.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the way college football does it.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this would be simpler and fairer:

1. Team that wins toss gets ball on 50 yard line
    2. Three downs for a first down...NO PUNTING OR KICKING OF ANY KIND ALLOWED
    3. First to score a touchdown wins.

Same ol' fashioned sudden death concept, but no more "OMG!!! FIELD GOAL!! ME WIN!!!!" image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the way college football does it. >>

Just like innings in baseball. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    College football rules are great, if half of the players don't belong on the field in the first place....kinda like....COLLEGE FOOTBALL.
  • Options
    If the game is tied after 60 minutes, call it a tie; counts as one-half win and one-half loss in the standings

In the playoffs, if the game is tied, play an additional 15 minutes. Still tied after that? Reverse field position and next score wins
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the game is tied after 60 minutes, call it a tie; counts as one-half win and one-half loss in the standings

In the playoffs, if the game is tied, play an additional 15 minutes. Still tied after that? Reverse field position and next score wins >>

I absolutely hate ties in any sport. I don't want to go spend my day watching a football game and have it end in a tie. It's like a waste of time for fans and players.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I think the current system is fine. College football rules are a joke - they should at least make them move the ball to get into field goal position. It would be much better if they started from the 35 or 40.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Baseball plays until there's a winner.
    Basketball does the same.
    Hockey plays a full period overtime, then shootouts after that.
    Football rules in OT are completely different than a regular game, and it's the only one of the major sports to do so. They really should either do a full OT period, and if still tied then it's a tie, and in the playoffs, keep playing until there's a winner.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    The NFLPA resisted changing overtime rules last time due to concerns with the players' safety.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, people. For some reason, I was curious to see what people thought. I just want to say that I really agree with jdip9 about college FB O/T. I almost hate it when a college game goes into O/T, knowing the offense will start at the opp. 25. I think if you're going to use that format, fine but make the offense start at about the opp. 40, or even midfield. To let the offense start already in FG range, I just don't get it.

For the NFL, I think the current system is okay, but I don' t really like how one FG can win it. That's why I suggest the first team to 6, wins.

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Thanks for the replies, people. For some reason, I was curious to see what people thought. I just want to say that I really agree with jdip9 about college FB O/T. I almost hate it when a college game goes into O/T, knowing the offense will start at the opp. 25. I think if you're going to use that format, fine but make the offense start at about the opp. 40, or even midfield. To let the offense start already in FG range, I just don't get it.

For the NFL, I think the current system is okay, but I don' t really like how one FG can win it. That's why I suggest the first team to 6, wins. >>

One FG can win it only after the other team failed to punch it in- it's much better than it was before with sudden death, and I have no problems with it. It gives both teams an equal chance to stop the other and beat the other
  • Options

<< <i>I absolutely hate ties in any sport. I don't want to go spend my day watching a football game and have it end in a tie. It's like a waste of time for fans and players. >>

A tie is far better than determining the winner by a coin-flip, which is what the previous format virtually did. Even the current format gives too much of an advantage to the team that wins the coin flip

The only good way to break ties is to continue playing with the same rules. The problem is that 75 minute (and longer) games can beat up teams too much, especially with so many of them playing on short weeks so often

There are 267 NFL over five months. Just because the tie is not broken on that very afternoon, over the course of the season, the better teams will be at the top of the standings and the best team will become the champion. Why pretend that a 27-27 tie after one game some horrible tragedy, but when the division is tied after 16 games, we let it end in a tie and put one team ahead of another is some convoluted manner? Allowing ties would actually be better way to separate teams in the standings and allow a better story as we watch the season unfold over a full 23 weeks