Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This is a modern baseball card worth having

Cincinnati Equirer story

edit: a wonderful thing for Topps to do. Unfortunately, the card is a so-called SSP and is a pretty tough get. Too bad - that kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Comments

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Teddy is a fan favorite around Great American Ballpark. That is an awesome card!!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>edit: a wonderful thing for Topps to do. Unfortunately, the card is a so-called SSP and is a pretty tough get. Too bad - that kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth. >>

On the other hand, it makes his card one of the most sought after and valuable in the set and won't ever end up being a 'junk' common. It would be nice if Topps would send a few the family's way (perhaps a hundred Tiffany-style like the 1990 George Bush WH edition).

Awesome story, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. Multiple parties doing something right. It is always fun and refreshing to read stories like this.
  • Options
    ESPN did a wonderful story on Teddy just recently. Olberman remarked the other night that this Topps card is selling on ebay for about $150.
    Here's the link to the whole thing, the portion about the Frazier homerun starts at about the 8:00 mark which is very cool:

Video
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Man, this is a GREAT heart warming story. Great to see Frazier with that smile along with Teddy's.

Check out Teddy's forearms ... looks like he could be the 3rd Bash Brother! GO GET'EM TEDDY!!!!!

Edited to add: Just watched the video. If that does not put tears in your eyes ... you better get your pulse checked!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Great story. Thanks. That card is going for 80-100 on the bay right now. Give it a few weeks and the price will drop.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    What Arturo said.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Wow! A good 10 minutes of my life spent. GreAt story.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! Thanks for the link!image
  • Options
    They should have put the picture with Frazier on the card. I remember that game, can't look at those two without smiling. I'd want the card just for that reason alone.
  • Options
    I think Topps needs to stick to people in the game (Players, Managers, Coaches). I do not care if he is a fan, so am I. Where is my card??

I do know I'm in the minority, but this is a disgrace. Unless he has the talent to make it to the show, he needs to stay off the card board.

OK, go ahead and bash me all you want.

Dave
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    That would be a neat card to get signed too (: Kind of like when the little boy from nebraska signed a few of his own cards! I love great storys like these
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options

<< <i>I think Topps needs to stick to people in the game (Players, Managers, Coaches). I do not care if he is a fan, so am I. Where is my card?? I do know I'm in the minority, but this is a disgrace. Unless he has the talent to make it to the show, he needs to stay off the card board. OK, go ahead and bash me all you want. Dave >>

Dave ... you are definitely a friend from these boards, but all I can say about your comment is ... wow!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>I think Topps needs to stick to people in the game (Players, Managers, Coaches). I do not care if he is a fan, so am I. Where is my card??

I do know I'm in the minority, but this is a disgrace. Unless he has the talent to make it to the show, he needs to stay off the card board.

Dave >>

My question is why ? and how is it a disgrace ?

Topps covers all different aspects of the game. this is one. so whats the big deal ? When has topps only covered players and coaches ? and when did they say they only did ?

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>I think Topps needs to stick to people in the game (Players, Managers, Coaches). I do not care if he is a fan, so am I. Where is my card??

Dave >>

My nominee for most ignorant and spiteful post of the year.

You're not just in the minority, you're a party of one on this one. Your spiteful post isn't even worth debating. Try watching the clip that was helpfully provided. Not that it will open your mind, but show a little respect.
  • Options
    I had to go down to the southern portion of Ohio due to work for a few days (This was back in May), and went to a bar to eat/drink at night. FS Ohio had a really nice piece about this kid. It's awesome how Topps made a card for him. Kudos to them.
  • Options

Dave >>

Yeesh...better not open any Heritage...or Allen & Ginters...wow.
  • Options

<< <i>

Dave >>

My question is why ? and how is it a disgrace ?

Topps covers all different aspects of the game. this is one. so whats the big deal ? When has topps only covered players and coaches ? and when did they say they only did ? >>

I feel this is a disgrace due to the fact that these people worked hard every day of their lives to get to the top. This fan did not, and should not have a card. He put in no work, no training nothing. That is my problem. His issues have nothing to due with anything.

If he wants a card, send him to Single A and see if he makes it to the majors.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    LOL c'mon!
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I wish I could say that I'm shocked but I'm not. They'll give anyone a keyboard these days.

Yankee001, for your sake, in the future, you should probably just keep thoughts like that to yourself. Good luck with everything.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    I partially agree with Dave, but not on the Teddy card. I think special cards that have a baseball story are neat, but cards like the one of Prince George is totally random. The Teddy story is awesome and is a nice tribute. I'd be in favor of including anything that has a cool baseball background, but not anything else.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I feel this is a disgrace due to the fact that these people worked hard every day of their lives to get to the top. This fan did not, and should not have a card. He put in no work, no training nothing. That is my problem. His issues have nothing to due with anything.

If he wants a card, send him to Single A and see if he makes it to the majors. >>

You're given a chance to redeem yourself and you just dig yourself a bigger hole. Nice work! His 'issues'? Wow, way to sound like even more of a spiteful jerk.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Great Idea and a nice gesture.. Good job Topps...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Great card and great gesture by Topps. However this type of card would be better suited for Allen & Ginter. Probably shouldn't be in the base set. But anyway, great gesture by Topps.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    buntbunt Posts: 625

<< <i>Great card and great gesture by Topps. However this type of card would be better suited for Allen & Ginter. Probably shouldn't be in the base set. But anyway, great gesture by Topps. >>

ummm Which way did you go with that ?
  • Options
    Somebody who doesn't like Dave must have hacked into his CU account!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    That's a great card and kudos to Topps for doing it. Fans are part of the game!
  • Options

<< <i>Somebody who doesn't like Dave must have hacked into his CU account! >>

Nope, I just do not feel this is a Baseball Card. The Allen and Ginter set is fine.

By issues I mean Down Syndrom. I have nothing against these people. I knew many years ago an Olympian who has Down Syndrom. He was a power lifter, and a great guy.

I just do not feel this is proper for the regular set.

If Topps comes out with a set of cards of Super Fans that would be cool. You do not have to be famous to be a Super Fan.

I competed professionally (not in baseball), and I take these things personally (maybe too personally). Until you give your blood, sweat and tears to be the best, get off my back. I have a severely damaged neck and have no good joints left in my body. I'm only 38. If I could go back and do it again, I would. It was a great ride.

I have not and will not put down Teddy. His energy and love for the game is outstanding. Put him in a Super Fan Set, not a player set.

Dave
  • Options
    I can picture how happy that card made Teddy, blood sweat and tears? Give me a break.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    While I see Dave's prospective, I don't agree for this reason; Its not like Topps took a pic of a fan in the stands and gave him a card. The Reds choose to make Teddy a part of the team for a time period. That in and of itself is enough to elicit his inclusion in something like this. I think the fact thats its an SSP is cool. I would be more bothered if they had made it a normal base card, showing up in everyone's packs and going into most common boxes or trash. As it is, it involves a person that the team and its players thought was important to them as a team and franchise. I think that qualifies it for an occasional card like this.

If there are 30 of these in next years set, then, yea, I think more people would start to have a problem with it and rightfully so.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>By issues I mean Down Syndrom. I have nothing against these people. >>

These people? Unbelievable...

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave, no disrespect and this is a serious question: How did you react to the San Diego Chicken cards or George Bush card?
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I disagree with you Dave. I like the card. And unlike me, Teddy was indeed a small part of the game. The SSP makes it a neat card I think.

Of course, I'm a Reds fan and was familiar with the story before the card.

As for the holier-than-thou, politically correct police, give it a rest. Dave said he didn't like the card because Teddy didn't play the game. The rest is being twisted. I'd hope he'd feel the same way if they put my face on a card.

Oh, and Hi Geordie!!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, the old saying by Lincoln comes to mind here about remaining silent rather than removing all doubt.

There have been many cards printed on which the subject never played professional baseball. The institution of baseball is much greater than its players.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    As a father of a son with Down Syndrome, I can assure the poster that suggests Teddy does not deserve to be on a card suffers from a severe case of lack of self worth. It's just sad man.

To make the statement: "I feel this is a disgrace due to the fact that these people worked hard every day of their lives to get to the top. He put in no work, no training nothing."

You do not know the first thing about the struggles and hard work a child and then adult with Down Syndrome endures from the time they are born. Thousands of hours of surgeries, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy.....just to fit in with the garbage our society produces, like you ironically.

And don't toss out the guy you know with Down Syndrome....you know nothing nor care about him.

My sincere gratitude to Topps. Thank you.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Dave, if you really wanted to discuss what should and should not be on a card in a certain sets, you could have found other examples that wouldn't pull at people's strings like this one. It should be a new thread and would be an interesting topic. But with your post as is, it looks like you just wanted a rise out of people. (aka trolling)
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    He did make it to the majors and is fully deserving of the card.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    better him than a friggin squirrel.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Skimmed the thread, and I'm with the guy that is getting hated on. I get it, Topps did something nice and gave the kid a card....how awesome is that. Anytime anyone does something "special" these days as Topps as done, everyone thinks is "ohhhhh how awesome and heartwarming is that?!"

When the Mariner Moose gets a card that everyone loves, I'm on board. Until then, it's silly. And, Maurice is a rat.

• Options

<< <i>And, Maurice is a rat. >>

Excuse me?

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    This card is not really part of the regular set, it is a short print card??
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Teddy put more effort into getting where he is than you did getting where you are.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Well, I am of two minds on this. I love the story and it is nice to see positive videos in this day and age. However, in regards to baseball cards and baseball card sets I think we need to be careful because indeed it can become a slippery slope. What if the cards then start dabbling in special interests like one breast cancer awareness card or one for the troops (oops), then we get political like having the government force a card extolling Obamacare or such.

But then again, when I see Teddy's exuberance - sometimes we need to put cynicism aside and just enjoy the ride. So thumbs up; thanks for sharing because it is very unlikely I would ever see the card or pay attention to anything post 1985 that isn't Tiger related.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    If anything, MLB needs MORE of this type of card. It's no secret that the interest in baseball has been dwindling, and has been for a long time. The continued slide in ratings and the year over year decline in attendance is further proof of this. Bringing to light amazing stories like Teddy's and highlighting them with super short printed baseball cards can only do GOOD for the game. Anyone suggesting it's a negative thing is an ignorant fool (and yes, I am looking directly at you, Yankees001). Your spite and ignorance is attitude baseball and its fans needs infinitely less of.

• Options
    I agree with what you are saying 100%...but MLB attendance isn't really an issue.

attendance
  • Options
    "Attendance is actually down a smidgen from 2012, believe it or not."

"Over 800,000 more fans showed up for games last year."
  • Options
    I'm not denying it was down for one year...but 800K spread over that many teams is pretty insignificant...and this was one of those years where no new ballparks were opened. Miami alone probably made up most of that difference...

The NFL is going to have more attendance issues than baseball...even though the sport itself is untouchable in popularity.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭
    You have insulted enough people for the day. I have sent screen shots of your comments to Joe O and requested that he just remove the piece of garbage that you are Dave