Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Modern UK Coin Collector Question

Do collectors of UK decimal coinage send their coins in for grading? I was looking at the certified populations and they seem really low(by US comparisons). Would there be any point except to a registry set collector?

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    The expense of slabbing very common coins is probably what prevents a lot of people from sending decimal pieces in. I would agree with your rhetorical premise (if that is what was meant by the question) that it would be of little interest to anyone but a registry set builder.

I know of at least one person on the board who does slab decimals and I hope he will weigh in on this.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Decimal? I wouldn't even think about it, besides what's the point when every single coin is readily available, in mint or proof sets, with very smart packaging? I've recently sent in a submission with an almost complete 1917-1956 farthing set, with most coins in 64-65RD and I still don't find it cost effective at all, but I did it for sentimental reasons, plus you never know, they might turn out to become more valuable as the years pass by.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Hi erwindoc

There is a mindset difference between the UK/Europe and the US collector. The American thinking is where absolutes rule applies - hence once you can assign a grade to a coin then you have a numerical value and then everyone is happy.

The coin is recorded, graded and you can buy & sell without seeing the coin.

In the US you build a collection then sell it and measure your success by the quality of the collection and money you sell your coins for.

Conclusion for 25 years in the US a multi-billion $ industry has developed on Federal Coins, great thinking and creativity.

Jeff
    www.petitioncrown.com
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    I used to ... but got tired of expense of acquiring mint sets to break up for the series I was working on at the time. Not to mention the expense of submitting to PCGS coupled with the slow turnaround times ... there is basically no way to recoup the cost of submission when weighed against the value of the coin. I was also hoping that PCGS would split the decimal sets based on the reverse design changes that went in a few years back, but I suppose they will only split sets when the Monarch changes so ...

Will I try to restart any decimal sets? I doubt I will for the forseeable future as I am rather enjoying chasing Farthings at the moment.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    Hi Wybrit, who would want to hide that beautiful 1856 3d in a "prison". I asked a number of dealers and collectors in the UK who buy from the USA choice British material, if they buy many pieces slabed. Firstly they say most pieces are not and those that are once they arrive in the UK they are taken out of the slabs, one dealer say it is great, the coin arrives in pristine condition before we break the plastic. Great way to ship.

A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    And a great way to destroy it with hairlines and fingerprints once it's out of the slab. JMHO.

PS: And judging from the wider and wider acceptance of slabs in the UK, (they even have their own grading service) as well as the increasing number of their submissions to PCGS' Paris office, it seems that the mentalities are changing. How exactly is wybrit's PCGS case a prison compared to an airtite? And have you asked to see what happens the other way round? Coins sent from the UK to the US, only to discover previously unmentioned hairlines and fingerprints?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I wouldn't even think about it, besides what's the point when every single coin is readily available, in mint or proof sets, with very smart packaging? >>

I wish!

Virtually no one at all collects decimals. Until only a few years ago no one collected the
    '50's and 60's cu/ ni either and prices were extremely low. Now the prices have been spiking
    and creeping up to some fairly respectable levels. Almost no base metal coins from anywhere
    were saved except for low denominations. No one set aside copper nickel because mintages were
    so high and quality tended to be poor.

I've been saving modern English for years and years now but don't really find very much. Decimal
    mint sets didn't begin until 1982 so earlier coins are elusive. No one seems to notice they are el-
    usive but the decimals tend to be far more difficult to find than the early cu/ ni.

A lot of modern world coins have been spiking sharply higher and I believe the early British decimals
    are due at any time. Things like a 1985 50 P will probably always be common above VF but try finding
    a nice choice 1977!!! Even decent VF's aren't easy and Uncs are tough. Choice is very very tough.

Like any coin, if they aren't collected you can't tell a common one from a rare one.
    Tempus fugit.