Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2012 W burnished AGE retains lowest mintage standing

derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today's US Mint sales numbers show net year do date sales for the 2013 W $50 uncirc burnished American Gold Eagle at 6,765, an increase of an amazing 1,035 coins (15% sales increase) over just the last week. 2013 W proof AGE sales in all sizes have already surpassed the 2012 W $50 burnished AGE keeping the 2012 W as the lowest mintage AGE with only 6,118 coins sold. Minted since 1986, there are currently 227 different AGEs that include four denominations of bullion coins, four denominations of burnished W mint-mark collector coins, four denominations of W mint-mark proof coins and a single W mint-mark $50 reverse proof coin issued in 2006 as part of a three coin 20th anniversary set.

Last week's surge in 2013 burnished AGE sales is undoubtedly a move by the larger dealers in anticipation of a new low mintage coin. Remains to be seen how many of them are returned to the mint, likely because of this week's new total. This in itself could result in the 2013 W posting a lower mintage, and still possible lowest mintage when the final numbers come in.

2006-2012 American Gold Eagle mintages

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
- Nick Giambruno
Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the Mint didn't base their 2013 production on last year's numbers, which was an unexpectedly early sellout.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭
    Or the mint made a typographical error. I guess we will know next week.

My mint ship date on my last order of reverse proof Buffaloes says 10/11 but still is backordered.image
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    My guess is that they minted closer to that in 2011. This is based on both having the same backorder status for a brief time in and around the 4K-4500 mark.

This plus the grid price for the week had dropped, plus the us mint had just done a mass mailing for the 2013 Christmas catalogs...Kinda a smart move to actually stuff that's in the catalog available for sale.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, what I have learned from listening to and watching the Modern Market folks is this and I am sorry if this seems harsh:

On this mint product...low mintage...so what? What are they going to mint next year and will that be the lowest mintage and then will that coin style be worth a premium? Maybe, maybe not. We will have to wait until next year to see. And we will have to wait again the nest year to see.... This has been going with this coin since 2011.

If you can buy this coin in MS70 PCGS FS holders for under 2K that would be a good buy, so I am told...Oh and make sure you get the Original Government Packaging.

What I do not understand is that the PR/MS 70 First Strike ASE 25 Anniversary 5 coin sets are priced at about $1,100 or LESS!!! You can buy them on Ebay or other sites at this price. These are sets that contain two coins of 100K mintage and the third lowest I believe of the series. Maybe it is the same deal. Wait and see there could be a lower mintage in the future so do not buy in yet unless you can get them for cheap so I am told. I don't know. After purchase and grading, the cost on these sets is over $650.00! With the right label.

Modern guys please correct me if I am wrong, I love to learn!!

• Options

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Yeah, saw that and many other that had "Offers Accepted"..... I taking about what the Modern Marketers will pay not high retail ebay....
  • Options
    Yeah, saw that and many other that had "Offers Accepted"..... I taking about what the Modern Marketers will pay not high retail ebay....

Find me some for less. The OP is pointing out a critical data point for a popular, long-running series.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Yeah....LOL call any modern coin company or buyer and offer your coin and you will see offers for less...much less!
  • Options
    I don't understand your complaint. If you think dealers are overpricing them, just go out and buy one cheaper. If you think dealers are underpaying, sell one yourself on ebay.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ultimately, buyers set the price. They are paying a pretty penny for the lowest mintage AGE as well as the next two lowest mintage AGEs. Moderns are set apart by mintage.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Give me three modern guys I will call them and report their offer price... Will that work?
  • Options
    If you can buy this coin in MS70 PCGS FS holders for under 2K that would be a good buy, so I am told...Oh and make sure you get the Original Government Packaging.

Oh, I'm guessing that you didn't buy any of these coins when the price was under 2K.

I will give you 4 modern dealers to contact who might have a few of these. Wondercoin, Modern Coin Mart, Casman & Danny Marks.

If you expect tight buy-sell spreads on a coin that's now become the Key of the Series, you will be disappointed. This is bound to happen when new data on a major Key becomes available.

I'm still not understanding your complaint. You obviously have no interest in Moderns, and that's ok - but there's nothing inconsistent with prices increasing on this particular issue, in spite of your disbelief.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    No complaints here Jimmy. Mintage is not a big deal with these. That's it. I will contact them and see if I can sell what I have. Thanks...

Also the low mintage plats are in the same boat.

• Options
    "Also the low mintage plats are in the same boat."

Now since you mentioned them and I collect them I'll post the following observation.

If you search for recent sold listings with "Platinum $25 PCGS MS 70" you will see quite a few of them selling in $900-$1200 range

That is 3-4X their melt value. Now let's talk about "just bullion" ..... Have you've got any of them to sell me at melt? image
  • Options
    Nope, Mine are ms69's and I have had very low offers on the 2008 Ws from Modern guys as well.... It has been awhile maybe I should try again..
  • Options

<< <i>Nope, Mine are ms69's and I have had very low offers on the 2008 Ws from Modern guys as well.... It has been awhile maybe I should try again.. >>

Try selling retail to a collector and not wholesale to a dealer/flipper. Your problem is they are 69s. Big difference in price than a 70, even when talking low mintage.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Modern guys please correct me if I am wrong, I love to learn!!

Let's be frank. You weren't looking to learn anything when you posted to this thread. I was going to offer some additional advice, but decided against it. Sorry I took the bait. Good luck with your endeavors.

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file