Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Condition Census Spanish Colonial 2 Escudo

From the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation A publication that gives a history of the 2 escudo as a coin sanctioned by the Continental Congress September 2nd 1776.

This example is a condition census .......

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an amazing piece of history... now are you telling us that you own it?image
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    What does this mean, "condition census?" I'm hoping the collective "you" can provide a more interesting response than Merriam Webster.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Condition Census usually means it's one of the finest known. Probably top ten, maybe even top 5 I'm not sure how they break it up. How did they make the planchets for these. It looks very interesting.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What does this mean, "condition census?" I'm hoping the collective "you" can provide a more interesting response than Merriam Webster. >>

yes it is the top graded at NGC and PCGS.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how one goes about grading something so primitively struck.

I'd have a hard time distinguishing AU58 from MS, let alone the micro grade splits between 65 and 66, for instance...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how one goes about grading something so primitively struck.

I'd have a hard time distinguishing AU58 from MS, let alone the micro grade splits between 65 and 66, for instance... >>

Good question I don't know.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how one goes about grading something so primitively struck.

I'd have a hard time distinguishing AU58 from MS, let alone the micro grade splits between 65 and 66, for instance... >>

Very true. On another forum, a member recently graded an ancient coin "MS12", which is a perfectly accurate grade for it!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    < I wonder how one goes about grading something so primitively struck.

The easy part is judging the luster, the wear, and the post-strike marks. The tricky part is judging how a TPG will net grade the coin for weakness of strike, centering and other things that have nothing to do with the condition (as opposed to "grade") of the coin. Frankly, I haven't figured that part out yet.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.