Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinion on 1975 Topps Lou Brock

First post on the forums after lurking for a while. I just opened a 75 cello (regular size) this morning and pulled this beauty from the middle of pack. Centering on the back is very strong as well. Curious to get folks opinion on where this one would grade when I submit to PSA. Will be sure to update the thread once I get the results back.

Thanks!

Ryan

Lou Brock 75 Topps

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. The centering is near perfection. How do the corner look under magnification? That will be the key.

Shane

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't see it.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Centering looks great......... Small black line under the "cardinals" between the "L" and they"S"..........psa 9 if the corners are strong.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Can't see it. >>

Ditto
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Had a slight problem with the link. Corrected now. Please try again. Corners and edges look sharp.

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    When I "magnify" the card, the upper right corner appears slightly touched, as does the lower left. I will say a strong PSA 8. Very nice looking card.
  • Options
    Top corner is the only one that isn't 100% "pointed". I wouldn't describe the top right as touched per say, I've seen worse corners on 9s in this year. This is under magnification. Thanks for all the feedback.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA 8 = 80% likelihood
    PSA 8.5 = 15%
    PSA 9 = 5%

Nice card.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice card. Presents well. I think that top right corner keeps it in an "8". Not sure if the "fisheyes" in the "R" and "K" in "Brock" will have an effect on this particular card. Is that white spot in the "A" in "Cardinals" on the card or is it the scan?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I think that top right corner keeps it in an "8". Not sure if the "fisheyes" in the "R" and "K" in "Brock" will have an effect on this particular card. Is that white spot in the "A" in "Cardinals" on the card or is it the scan? >>

I only wish PSA grading were as uniformly conservative as you guys make it out to be. I regularly see 9's with corner wear and fisheyes. Then again, I often suspect much of the stuff on eBay is recycling of bad examples of the grade.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I will go with a 9 on a good day. Nice card.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>When I "magnify" the card, the upper right corner appears slightly touched, as does the lower left. I will say a strong PSA 8. Very nice looking card. >>

The more I look at it, the lower left corner is fine. I still think the upper right corner keeps it an. 8, but it could go higher.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely has a shot at a 9, imo. Maybe 60% 8, 40% 9.

A 9 can have a slightly touched corner per PSA grading guidelines. I don't think PSA will downgrade for fisheyes on this card as they are pretty minor. Here's the trechnical criteria for a Mint 9 grade (I have also gotten an ST qualifier on any card that exhibited a wax stain on the reverse):

MINT 9: Mint
    A PSA Mint 9 is a superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image

Nice card.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Nice card but 9 at best thanks to fishy eyes.
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Nice card - probably an 8. Maybe just maybe a 9.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    PSA 9
  • Options
    Thanks for all the opinions. When I first looked at it, I thought it had a chance at a 10, but under closer inspection I'm thinking 9. Planning to submit this along with several other 1975-80 raw cards to PSA in a couple of weeks. Will let folks know how I do.

• Options
    Looking at ones like this gives me hope that this could end up Gem MT. I see a couple of fish eyes and the top left corner is very similar to the one on my Brock.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looking at ones like this gives me hope that this could end up Gem MT. I see a couple of fish eyes and the top left corner is very similar to the one on my Brock.

image >>

Color and registration on the 10 is stronger than the Brock, though. That is usually the factor between an 8 and a 9, or a 9 and a 10.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Anywhere between a 7 and a 9... or a 10 if they are drunk that day. You just never know. That's part of the "fun." Good luck.
  • Options
    My submission results just popped. I mailed them out on 10/31 and they were logged on 11/4. Cards shipped out today - this was on the 45 day CC special. Very quick turnaround. I was very surprised that the 75s graded where they did, but overall pretty happy especially with the 10 on the 1979 Leflore (pop 5). Overall I found I was about a grade higher on my estimates on about 70% of this submission.

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 528 WALLY BUNKER
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS 23 BILL RUSSELL
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS 69 JOHN ODOM
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS 98 RICH FOLKERS
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS 540 LOU BROCK
    MINT 9 1978 TOPPS 11 RICK MANNING
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 TOPPS 123 MANNY TRILLO
    NEAR MINT 7 1978 TOPPS 400 NOLAN RYAN
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 TOPPS 642 DENNY DOYLE
    GEM MINT 10 1979 TOPPS 660 RON LeFLORE
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1979 TOPPS 671 JOE FERGUSON
    NEAR MINT 7 1980 TOPPS 17 BRUCE SUTTER
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1980 TOPPS 68 LARRY HARLOW
    MINT 9 1980 TOPPS 220 DAVE CONCEPCION
    MINT 9 1980 TOPPS 243 JERRY AUGUSTINE
    MINT 9 1980 TOPPS 307 RICK HONEYCUTT
    MINT 9 1980 TOPPS 457 BERT BLYLEVEN
    MINT 9 1980 TOPPS 500 TOM SEAVER
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1980 TOPPS 526 PHILLIES TEAM MGR. DALLAS GREEN
    NEAR MINT 7 1980 TOPPS 629 JIM TODD
    NEAR MINT 7 1980 TOPPS 580 NOLAN RYAN
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1980 TOPPS 720 CARL YASTRZEMSKI
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 TOPPS 181 ROGER CLEMENS
    GEM MINT 10 1997 BOWMAN'S BEST 117 ADRIAN BELTRE REFRACTOR

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Ryan

Overall very nice results.

I think the Brock is about right due to the upper right corner - overall tho - a beautiful card.
    Mike
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice little pop image

Now rip some fresh ones!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Congrats on the sub!! The Brock card was right where I thought it would be. It has high eye appeal.