Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 Topps High Grade BASEBALL - Help!

OK, so I'm at 93%+ now on my set all 9s and 10s, but I am having a lot of trouble making further progress...I am willing to pay fair prices for the remaining cards that I need. I would appreciate any help from fellow collectors and/or dealers, Ive been working on this thing for years and it has slowed to a snail's pace.

Thanks much,

EOMINT

Comments

• Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    With three sheets selling for good money last night through REA you might get your wish. Not to mention the 15k paid for the 70 sheet with the Rose and Jackson AS cards.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    Did pristine paper win it? Lol
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    I have the one card you need from my set lol image, hopefully someday I can get home and sort though all my cards. I am wondering though why not just complete the set? Many 8s look just as strong as 9s and there are 50 or so cards that are almost impossible to find in the condition you are looking for and might not be available anytime in the next decade or two unless there is a 1971 "black swamp" find. Highly unlikely
    Your set is incredible enough without having to worry about all the cards being a 9 IMO.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Mini,
    Is PSA now grading sheet cut cards?
  • Options

<< <i> Mini, Is PSA now grading sheet cut cards? >>

No, but there have been strong rumors of an eBay seller that sells a lot of pristine cards who also bought a high end laser cutter and may have gotten a few past PSA
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    I dont need any star cards, just commons left...low pop commons, but commons...and PSA doesnt grade sheet cut cards like some of their competitors do, maybe some slip by here and there who knows, nobody is perfect, but PSA is the most conservative w the most stringent standards out there.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Officially, they do not grade sheets, and I do not believe they do so knowingly. That said, no one on Earth can convince me that someone paid $15,400 for a clean 70 sheet with 3 each of the Rose and Jackson AS (and a second sheet with Mays), to hang it on a wall. It will be interesting to watch for high grade 70s in the coming months. 3 71 sheets went for 3k, in spite of having cards carved out, ruining the eye appeal.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    Agreed...PSA should simply allow the sheet cut cards to be graded. If you can cut it to a 10 it should be a 10. It would be a telling study to submit all the cards together at the same time with the same cutting process to see the grade spread. Other then the outside edges and corners, why wouldn't they grade consistently assuming no damage to the front or back of the sheet.
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    How does psa know the difference between a "real" card from the 1970s and a card that has been recently cut from a sheet ? Does the edge look different? What if the uncut sheet was cut with the same type of blade/paper cutter used in the 1970s?
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I would rather you filled it with 8's and with the savings bought a scanner and paid some college kid beer money to scan and
    load the pictures of these cards so we can see them.. It's a win win you help out a poor college kid and we get to see some
    great cards...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's going to be tough sledding from here on out. Lots of pop 1s in the set. Hopefully you got some of Spence's 9s. I see the Hill collection is a lower GPA than Spence's set was, implying that he didn't pick up all Spence's 9s.

You'll need to submit these yourself or hope one pops up someday. So far they are pop 0 in 9

253 Sudakis
    352 Doyle
    373 McCraw
    398 Reed
    539 Brown
    673 Janeski
    725 Gentry
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Quitcrab,

Good question; but I'm thinking nobody has the answer to that question. Including all TPG's.
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

President John F. Kennedy, September 12, 1962, at Rice University, Houston, Texas

It's not the space race by a long shot, but his quest is real and demanding. Best of luck! From The Dude.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    nice quote! Ever notice how the greatest leaders quotes are timeless and are applicable well past and beyond the event in which they were created?
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I'm submitting a very strong 1971 Gary Gentry (725) next week (along with quite a few other 71s), but I don't think it will grade higher than an 8.5.

I don't collect this set in ultra high grade, so if it does grab a 9, I'll let you know.

Justin