Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Great Britain 1902 Silver Circulation Set

A dealer who I know purchased a Short Great Britain 1902 Proof Set a few months back in the original felt lined case. Primarily he wanted it for the gold and I was offered the silver coins (crown, half crown, florin, shilling, sixpence, and maundy set of 4d,3d,2d, and 1d).

It turned out that the coins were not proofs after all, they were circulation strike coins that someone had put in the box 100 or more years ago where they've sat untouched. This sounds like a bad thing but believe it or not the circulation strike coins are quite a bit scarcer in mint state than the proofs. More valuable too.

All the coins are in the MS64 range (except the maundy set) and they are all toned somewhat but lustrous and pretty. The maundy set is all pl66 and is the best 1902 maundy set I've seen. I had to sell off some coins and swap some others to pay for for the set but I'm super happy with it. I don't buy much these days but this complete and original year set was too hard to resist. Here's the crown, half crown, and florin. I'll put up images of the others later.

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you get the case?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    No, but I can ask if he's still got it. You want?
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did well. image The florin is one of my favorite British designs.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice set, I also really like the florin design for Ed. VII.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Nice pieces, as usual. You are right about the scarcity relative to the proofs. In addition to that, most high grade Ed VII is 63 or less for shillings on up.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always liked that florin design, and have never had an example.

Nice rosy hints on the halfcrown reverse.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Here's rest of the coins. The shilling is MS64+, the maundies are all PL66. The rest of the coins are MS64.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunners. Wow.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Neat coins and great story! Thanks for sharing.

I'm not much of a maundy person, but that 4d is amazing!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Will pass on the holder..I had to put together the hard way (piece by piece) both the unc. and mattes of that year. Grading by the TPGs, especially on the mattes, is to say the least a hit or miss affair so beware of grading! Never did get the matte maundy set.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be interested in the case- depending on price and condition

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>I would be interested in the case- depending on price and condition >>

OK I'll see if he's still got it.

I did have a long set case but it was (to borrow a term) "farmyard fresh" from under some floorboards where it had been stored with the coins in it for 60+ years. The wood of the case was rotten and I swear the thing fell into more pieces every time I looked at it.