Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA certifies 110,000 cards for the month of September (highest number ever)

Great job PSA.

Can anyone figure out how many cards per day that is ?

Comments

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    including resubbed EOT's? image
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone figure out how many cards per day that is ? >>

3,666.67?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder where all those subs are coming from? They didn't have a great special. I don't see a flood of newly graded cards hitting the market. I don't see a flood of new registry sets.
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Assuming only M-F business days, plus Labor Day being closed, then there were 20 business days in September.

That would bring the daily average to 5,500 cards.

How many graders are there? With 20 graders (I'm randomly picking this number), that's 275 cards per person per day, or about 34 cards per hour (just under 2 minutes per card) for an 8 hour shift.

Anyone know how many graders there are?
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    That explains the lack of compelling specials in recent months.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    My sub of 600 cards with 75% 8s weeps at the # of cards graded
  • More than anything that tells me that we won't be seeing any good monthly specials for a while....if ever again. I'm glad they are doing well though.

That also tells me that if all of those Card Savers are going to recycling there's another huge market they are missing out on. I'm all for recycling but I don't think I'm the only one on here that would re-use a cardsaver probably dozens of times. Understandably that's not part of their business plan, but with I'm sure with a few minor Process changes they'd find a buyer.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

so much for my grader getting a good night of sleep!!!!
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Assuming only M-F business days, plus Labor Day being closed, then there were 20 business days in September.

That would bring the daily average to 5,500 cards. >>

I didn't even consider that. Scooter gets a gold star!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • What kind of business do you think they would have been doing at the high point of the card boom with a healthy economy? I would think they have more than 20 graders on staff right?
  • PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    I do know PSA brought in a lot of submissions at the National. perhaps some of those cards didn't get graded until September. The volume does amaze me. I thought vintage would dry up at some point but it appears a lot of older cards are still being submitted. I do agree with itzagoner... I have received more EOTs and MSR this past year than ever before. I have re-submitted about 15-20 of them this year and about half of them did get a grade.

• << <i>I do know PSA brought in a lot of submissions at the National. perhaps some of those cards didn't get graded until September. >>

I'm still waiting on two subs from July special
  • I think the PSA Invitational is going on this week which would account for a huge increase in the number of submissions that probably had to be sent in last month. Just a thought
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    Your numbers are inaccurate. PSA did in fact do 110K cards in September according to their home page, but that far from the highest ever. Last quarter according to disclosure documents filed with the SEC, PSA did 403,300 cards which is a much higher avg than 110,000. I've been keeping track and in July they did 147,000 cards. The numbers based on their web site are just guesses as they don't always update the web site on the first of the month. In September, they did not update the website until Sep 13. So the 110,000 is actually 3 weeks, not a full month.

This quarter is on track to be a new record of about 420,000+ cards.
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Assuming only M-F business days, plus Labor Day being closed, then there were 20 business days in September.

That would bring the daily average to 5,500 cards. >>

I didn't even consider that. Scooter gets a gold star!

image >>

I've been working in Finance for about 15 years now - if I can't get that right then I shouldn't be making this mediocre salary I'm pulling in!
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I'm all for recycling but I don't think I'm the only one on here that would re-use a cardsaver probably dozens of times. >>

Better watch out, Ryan.

A few of us have been pilloried on these boards for even hinting at a suggestion like that.

Nick

• << <i>Your numbers are inaccurate. PSA did in fact do 110K cards in September according to their home page, but that far from the highest ever. Last quarter according to disclosure documents filed with the SEC, PSA did 403,300 cards which is a much higher avg than 110,000. I've been keeping track and in July they did 147,000 cards. The numbers based on their web site are just guesses as they don't always update the web site on the first of the month. In September, they did not update the website until Sep 13. So the 110,000 is actually 3 weeks, not a full month.

This quarter is on track to be a new record of about 420,000+ cards. >>

Last quarter PSA did 403,300 cards is correct. However, that was a quarter, not a month.

<< <i>What kind of business do you think they would have been doing at the high point of the card boom with a healthy economy? I would think they have more than 20 graders on staff right? >>

From their recent 10K filed with the SEC:
    PSA Trading Card and Authentication and Grading Services . Leveraging the credibility and using the methodologies that we had established with PCGS in the coin market, in 1991 we launched Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA), which instituted a similar authentication and grading system for trading cards. Our independent trading card experts certify the authenticity of and assign quality grades to trading cards using a numeric system with a scale from 1-to-10 that we developed, together with an adjectival system to describe their condition. At June 30, 2013, we employed 15 experts who have an average of 27 years of experience in the collectible trading card market. We believe that our authentication and grading services have removed barriers that were created by the historical seller-biased grading process and, thereby, have improved the overall marketability of and facilitated commerce in trading cards, including over the Internet and at telephonic sports memorabilia auctions.

<< <i>

<< <i>Your numbers are inaccurate. PSA did in fact do 110K cards in September according to their home page, but that far from the highest ever. Last quarter according to disclosure documents filed with the SEC, PSA did 403,300 cards which is a much higher avg than 110,000. I've been keeping track and in July they did 147,000 cards. The numbers based on their web site are just guesses as they don't always update the web site on the first of the month. In September, they did not update the website until Sep 13. So the 110,000 is actually 3 weeks, not a full month.

This quarter is on track to be a new record of about 420,000+ cards. >>

Last quarter PSA did 403,300 cards is correct. However, that was a quarter, not a month. >>

so what is your point? How can 110,000 be a record if they did 403,000 last quarter. That is an AVERAGE of 134,300/month. 134,300 is GREATER than 110,000.
    Just did 160,119 cards for month of October.