Home Precious Metals

Remember a 14.70 tr. oz. J-M silver bar on here?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
Can't find the old thread. For some reason my Precious Metal threads only go back to Sept. 27.

Anyways, at the time none of us could figure out the odd weight. I suggested that it might be equivalent to some South Asian weight system, such as the Tael or the Tola.

For the record, I have scoured Krause's Unusual World Coins book, and can find nothing that it equates to or is a multiple of.

TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    14.35 oz
    keceph `anah
  • THIS?

Btw, in orderto view more old threads you need to increase the numer of days under the "customize" menu.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>THIS?

Btw, in orderto view more old threads you need to increase the numer of days under the "customize" menu. >>

No, this was just a few months ago, and it was 14.70 oz.

Edited to add: Oh, and I'm not talking in the search feature. When I open up the PM Forum, I only have about 3-1/2 pages of threads available.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>
    Edited to add: Oh, and I'm not talking in the search feature. When I open up the PM Forum, I only have about 3-1/2 pages of threads available. >>

Check and increase the numbers of days in your customize menu. You should be able to see more pages when you open any section of the forum.

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Edited to add: Oh, and I'm not talking in the search feature. When I open up the PM Forum, I only have about 3-1/2 pages of threads available. >>

Check and increase the numbers of days in your customize menu. You should be able to see more pages when you open any section of the forum. >>

Thanks, that worked. I don't know what happened; I never changed the old settings.

How many days back can you set it? I want it to infinity, and beyond!

• Sounds like an " regular " pound of silver .... image
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.

<< <i>Sounds like an " regular " pound of silver .... image >>

Doesn't convert into anything even in avdp. ounces.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible someone sent them some scrap silver to be refined and requested a 999 silver bar be made from their silver rather than being paid in cash?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

<< <i>Is it possible someone sent them some scrap silver to be refined and requested a 999 silver bar be made from their silver rather than being paid in cash? >>

Possible. Or perhaps they were doing a pour for a specific client and did a number of standard weight bars and then, at the end, poured whatever was left over into a mold, weighed it and stamped it. The odd piece could have been kept by the client as a novelty.

<< <i>

Doesn't convert into anything even in avdp. ounces. >>

Actually 14.70 toz are equal to 1 lbs (1.008 to be precise)

<< <i>

<< <i>Is it possible someone sent them some scrap silver to be refined and requested a 999 silver bar be made from their silver rather than being paid in cash? >>

Possible. Or perhaps they were doing a pour for a specific client and did a number of standard weight bars and then, at the end, poured whatever was left over into a mold, weighed it and stamped it. The odd piece could have been kept by the client as a novelty. >>

That makes sense. Those big comex bars are seldom an even 1000 ozs so if someone wanted to convert a 1014.7 comex bar to smaller standard size bars, there would be 14.7 oz of left over metal. Of course, this all speculation.

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Actually 14.70 toz are equal to 1 lbs (1.008 to be precise) >>

??? what math is that...???
    keceph `anah

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

??? what math is that...??? >>

14.70toz x 31.103g = 457.21g = 1.008 lbs
    (sorry I am italian and need to use the metric)

Google and my converting app also agree.

Where am I wrong?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

??? what math is that...??? >>

14.70toz x 31.103g = 457.21g = 1.008 lbs
    (sorry I am italian and need to use the metric)

Google and my converting app also agree.

Where am I wrong? >>

Your math is correct, but I just can't see a major bullion refinery making an intended weight (one avdp. pound = 14.5836 troy ounces) almost a percent too high and not marking the intended weight in the measuring system in which it was intended.

Had it been marked something like "14.60 TR. OZ./ 1.0 AVDP. POUND," I could see it as an attempt to market silver to people not familiar with either troy ounces or the metric silver, but that is not the way that the precious metals markets work.

I agree with your reasoning, Capt.
    I can only speculated that the size (1 lbs) was meant for a specific market and "labelled" (14.70 toz) to explore a different market.
    Or somebody could have thought that it is more "fancy" to use troy ounces. In the end, using grams in the US would make no sense, but still we find bars stamped with metric units.

One question: aren't there any bars that states 32.15 oz?

<< <i>One question: aren't there any bars that states 32.15 oz? >>

Monarch Precious Metals makes one.