Home Sports Talk

Roberto Duran/ Sugar Ray Leonard meet in the ring 33 yrs after no mas

30 for 30 ESPN. Did anyone see this tuesday? Leonard went to Panama recently for the first time, to meet Duran to see if he could get the truth on why he really quit that fight. Duran says he didnt actually say "no mas." Their first fight in Montreal was one of the best fights I ever seen. Anyway great story. Discuss.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1811596-espn-30-for-30-no-mas-guide-to-film-on-roberto-duran-vs-sugar-ray-leonard

Comments

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I watched it. Very interesting. The tension when they met in the ring again was intense.

Those 30 for 30s are all amazing.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    It was a good episode and definitely worth the 90 minutes of your time.

edited to add fixed link
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    The 30 for 30 series is as good of sports reporting and documenting as there is. Which is sad, really, that ESPN proves they can do sports right when they want to, but descend to garbage like First Take instead.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you what went on. Duran was frustrated that he could not knock the sh*t out of him.....and when Leonard started the fancy footwork and toying with him, he grew even more frustrated. Duran wanted to just punch it out and see who wins.....which I agree with. Leonard doing these wind up circular punches was not the sport that Duran loved and knew. He at that point said this is bullsh*t and quit. I don't actually understand what the mystery is....it's very easy to see.

Duran should have stuck it out and maybe landed a big shot with Leonard fooling around and then the clear fool would have been Leonard.

Very, very dissapointing fight for boxing.
  • Well said Mick. I think the only way Leonard thought he could beat Duran was to clown around. And Duran was caught off guard and wanted no part of it. Whats even more disappointing is Duran wanted a deciding 3rd fight the next year(81) and Leonard wouldnt fight him.
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Whats even more disappointing is Duran wanted a deciding 3rd fight the next year(81) and Leonard wouldnt fight him.

What's even more disappointing than that, is that Duran, one of the most revered boxers in history just quit. He was like a child that couldn't get his way. Leonard fought Duran's fight the first time, albeit foolishly. But he fought on and even came back to win later rounds. He showed courage in the face of obvious defeat. Duran on the other hand, could not adapt to Leonard's normal style. One of the most disrespectful incidents in boxing history. People around the world paid big money to watch that fight and he cheated them. Poor loser anyway you look at it.

• << <i>Whats even more disappointing is Duran wanted a deciding 3rd fight the next year(81) and Leonard wouldnt fight him.

What's even more disappointing than that, is that Duran, one of the most revered boxers in history just quit. He was like a child that couldn't get his way. Leonard fought Duran's fight the first time, albeit foolishly. But he fought on and even came back to win later rounds. He showed courage in the face of obvious defeat. Duran on the other hand, could not adapt to Leonard's normal style. One of the most disrespectful incidents in boxing history. People around the world paid big money to watch that fight and he cheated them. Poor loser anyway you look at it. >>

No doubt it was the wrong thing to do and quit. I accuse both fighters, especially Duran for quitting. A win is a win and leonard won the fight. However Leonard admitted that it bothered him by the way he won the fight with Duran giving up. Because the storyline became why did Duran quit?, other than Leonard winning the fight. And it bothered and hurt Duran more what he did. So there should have been a deciding 3rd fight, but Leonard wanted no part of it.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    It would be awesome to see raw footage since their encounter in the ring was clearly staged. Regardless, it was still very entertaining.

Disney Magic, FTW.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Happy birthday Sugar Ray!
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Happy birthday Sugar Ray! >>

Uno Mas!
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2023 11:12AM

Cosell said no mas... Duran never said it

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@soundgard said:
    << Whats even more disappointing is Duran wanted a deciding 3rd fight the next year(81) and Leonard wouldnt fight him.

What's even more disappointing than that, is that Duran, one of the most revered boxers in history just quit. He was like a child that couldn't get his way. Leonard fought Duran's fight the first time, albeit foolishly. But he fought on and even came back to win later rounds. He showed courage in the face of obvious defeat. Duran on the other hand, could not adapt to Leonard's normal style. One of the most disrespectful incidents in boxing history. People around the world paid big money to watch that fight and he cheated them. Poor loser anyway you look at it. >>

No doubt it was the wrong thing to do and quit. I accuse both fighters, especially Duran for quitting. A win is a win and leonard won the fight. However Leonard admitted that it bothered him by the way he won the fight with Duran giving up. Because the storyline became why did Duran quit?, other than Leonard winning the fight. And it bothered and hurt Duran more what he did. So there should have been a deciding 3rd fight, but Leonard wanted no part of it.

It didn't hurt Duran lol...Duran was past his prime fighting above his weight class against one of the best welterweight ever...

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@soundgard said:
    << Whats even more disappointing is Duran wanted a deciding 3rd fight the next year(81) and Leonard wouldnt fight him.

It didn't hurt Duran lol...Duran was past his prime fighting above his weight class against one of the best welterweight ever...

Not sure about the time frame, but Leonard basically retired because of a detached retina. Not sure how much later that was after the Duran fight.

Also does it really matter the exact words Duran spoke? Duran quit and that is a fact. It's not like his corner threw in the towel against his wishes, or the ref stopped the fight too soon.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double Dragon needs to come back and clarity this thread, before it spirals out of control. 😉