Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay - Change to Saved Searches

FYI.

We've changed "saved searches" to "searches you follow"

When you follow your favorite searches, you'll see updates in your eBay feed. Visit your eBay profile to view and manage your preferences.
The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Ebay's really good at meddling around with stuff that doesn't need changing.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Because they have to justify the existence of their software people on the payroll
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Search Took a downturn when they stopped using the wildcard character

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Search Took a downturn when they stopped using the wildcard character >>

I like how they passed it off as an improvement, claiming that by eliminating wild card searches, searches would become more precise and yield fewer false-positives.

And starvation will help you avoid food poisoning.

• Options
    Why can't they leave the site alone? What are they expecting to gain by making these small changes?

It's funny how the other auction houses....memory lane, robert edward, mile high, etc all stick to a consistent form. Ebay seems to be constantly meddling. I still wish they had the wildcard searches. Surely, with the level of technology today, that sort of change can't make that big of a difference. Baffling.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Because they have to justify the existence of their software people on the payroll >>

Exactly. Lot of people on the eBay payroll that would be sitting around doing nothing so they tinker with the site for no good reason what so ever.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    The wildcard search utilizes a lot of resources on a server. I'm sure that was a cost-reduction decision. If you remove wildcards, you eliminate some of the need for additional servers to compensate for the load. I wish they were still there as well, however, I just wanted to say that I don't think it's a lack of ability or available technology that prompted them to take it away.
  • Options

<< <i>The wildcard search utilizes a lot of resources on a server. I'm sure that was a cost-reduction decision. If you remove wildcards, you eliminate some of the need for additional servers to compensate for the load. I wish they were still there as well, however, I just wanted to say that I don't think it's a lack of ability or available technology that prompted them to take it away. >>

So they moved money from server upkeep to the design teem to keep cranking out look-and-feel changes every few months. Nice.

• Options
    They still tinker with the site way too much. I wonder if there's a website or resource that has chronicled all the changes. Feedback at one point I think showed all complete auctions. Then they changed it to where you can see only the last few months.

Also, it seems like most changes haven't been well recepted by long time members.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Plus, all the User Id's not being shown and winning bids....etc... make it real "Shilly" this time of year.

I think my favorite is you can't see the Best Offer price accepted. Crazy
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed that unless the item such as a card is actually on ebay at the time...you cannot save the search

You would think that what might bring more sales is a good think.

Then again it's ebay........

Do they actually read the 'what do you think' link at the top of the page......naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    It is amazing to me how people complain about EVERY SINGLE CHANGE that eBay makes to its interface.

And then turn around and complain a few months later about the next change and say, "It was JUST FINE the way it was."

Rinse and repeat...

You'll get used to it. Just the way you have gotten used to the previous 10,000 changes.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is amazing to me how people complain about EVERY SINGLE CHANGE that eBay makes to its interface.

And then turn around and complain a few months later about the next change and say, "It was JUST FINE the way it was."

Rinse and repeat...

You'll get used to it. Just the way you have gotten used to the previous 10,000 changes. >>

The people that complain about "every single change" are probably not the same people that say "it was just fine the way it was".

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>"It was JUST FINE the way it was 10+ years ago." >>

• Options

<< <i>I have noticed that unless the item such as a card is actually on ebay at the time...you cannot save the search

You would think that what might bring more sales is a good think.

Then again it's ebay........

Do they actually read the 'what do you think' link at the top of the page......naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh >>

I just saved a search that yielded no results, and it saved it just fine.

• Options
    Compared to other sites, ebays changes have been hideous and haven't been well received by the ebay community, or the internet at large.

For example, amazon has made changes to their site (mostly cosmetic) but people don't complain about that as much, if at all. I think people are so invested in ebay (or were), when you change the functions around, it throws people off. And the official excuses seem very lame.

Not being able to see best offer prices is absurd. People usually like more information when on an auction or trading site. You can make better decisions. They seem to keep taking away things.
  • Options
    kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭
    All searches now crash the mobile app almost immediately. Web version seems to be working, though all tracking links are dead.

Way to go ebay.
    Kevin Thomas
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My beef with searches is that eBay kinda does a wildcard all on its own. I search for size XLT shirts all the time. To get the results I want, I have to have a mile long list of exclusions because eBay thinks "XXLT" and "5XLT" and so on are the same as "XLT". Thanks, eBay.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are any of you having a problem with seeing completed auctions. When I check my saved searches for complete auctions I don't see any complete auctions that ended in the last day and a half.
    James
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Plus, all the User Id's not being shown and winning bids....etc... make it real "Shilly" this time of year.

I think my favorite is you can't see the Best Offer price accepted. Crazy >>

Pretty easy to still see the Best Offer price; all you have to do is go to the URL when you are on the item page, and switch the "www." to "item." instead and you're good to go.

The change I'm not used to yet is being able to see the item that is associated with a feedback.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Pretty easy to still see the Best Offer price; all you have to do is go to the URL when you are on the item page, and switch the "www." to "item." instead and you're good to go. >>

WatchCount.com also shows you the best offer sold-price when you copy/paste the eBay URL into their home page search box.

Even better, they also show you the best offer history --- what earlier offers were declined, and for how much. Pretty handy sometimes.
  • Options

<< <i>WatchCount.com also shows you the best offer sold-price when you copy/paste the eBay URL into their home page search box.

Even better, they also show you the best offer history --- what earlier offers were declined, and for how much. Pretty handy sometimes. >>

Where exactly do you see the amounts of the declined offers? I tried to see them for item 181232887031, but it doesn't seem to show them.
  • Options

<< <i>Where exactly do you see the amounts of the declined offers? I tried to see them for item 181232887031, but it doesn't seem to show them. >>

That item. Hmmm. Looks like the "History" link that shows past offers only appears when the item finally sells. (I'm gonna email them and ask about this. They've responded to me quickly in the past.)

Here's an example of that History link appearing on a sold item.

Update: I heard back from them (that was fast) - it was a bug that the history link wasn't showing all the time. They said they'll be fixing it soon, but that history pricing still may not be available until after the item has sold.
  • Options

<< <i>That item. Hmmm. Looks like the "History" link that shows past offers only appears when the item finally sells. (I'm gonna email them and ask about this. They've responded to me quickly in the past.)

Here's an example of that History link appearing on a sold item.

Update: I heard back from them (that was fast) - it was a bug that the history link wasn't showing all the time. They said they'll be fixing it soon, but that history pricing still may not be available until after the item has sold. >>

Thanks much.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are any of you having a problem with seeing completed auctions. When I check my saved searches for complete auctions I don't see any complete auctions that ended in the last day and a half.
    James >>

Yup, and even more annoying, active items with under about 40 seconds to go disappear from seller pages. I guess they really didn't want people putting in first-time manual bids without having watched the item first.

Remember ebay's motto: If it ain't broke, break it.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    Digging up an old thread...

I added a bunch of "followed" searches the other day and I get emails for none of them. I have subscribed to email alerts -- anyone experience this?
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    This hasn't happened to me. I get e-mails on a daily basis from followed searches without fail. Checking these e-mails from the throne is part of my morning ritual, lol. I know...TMI.