Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about 1/3 & 2/3 thalers.

I have a group of 1/3 and 2/3 Thalers that were in a large group of coins, both copper and silver. They seem to have been together for a while. My question is two-fold. Have you ever seen older silver coins (1680's through early 1770's) develop a look of old copper? Meaning, they look like old copper coins with some resemblance to silver coins. I ask because I don't normally collect old Thalers and haven't got the feel for what a typical example looks like in hand. The second part of my question is, were 1/3 & 2/3 Thalers heavily counterfeited in their day? I do not think these are anything but genuine, but the color just seems weird to me on a few. Again, I am the furthest from an expert as you could get on this.

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see a picture.....you make it sound like a treasure hoard. I can't speak specifically to the copper hue of the coins, but environmental damage can come in several flavors. Maybe forum members can examine pictures and offer some perspectives.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I've seen cleaned/retoned silver coins take on a copper look, but it was still obvious they were silver. Pics?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson