Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Granny Goose Potato Chips A's - Rickey Henderson UPDATED WITH PICS!!

Is this card considered rare? Or do people just not grade them?

Does anyone have any insight about this particular issue? Past sales? (PSA graded, that is)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Hal

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Sorry - I don't have any details on the card, but I would love to see a scan.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I have multiples of all the sets in storage

1981 is easily the scarcest set because the set was issued over a short time with little advertising and only in Bay Area. it also had to be put together card by card 1 at a time buying twin bags of GG Chips (NO complete set offer at Ball Park) . They also had a high % of cards with grease stains. If you wanted to you could shake the bag a bit and the card would slide to the white areas of bag and you could see the players name through the wax paper (front or back) so no need to buy dups if good at this image. I bought hundreds of bags over the 3 years of these sets and still have a few of the empty bags w/ advertising and pics on outside. The 1981 Revering card was the real rare one, I was lucky to find out it was short printed while the cards were still in bags and got at least 6-8 of them that summer (my Dad was a Safeway mgr so it helped image )

the 2nd rarest set would be the 1983 set with coupons intact and unscratched, because the complete set given away at the ball park in Oakland that year had them cut off so the only way to get the coupon cards was in bags of chips.

I dont have scans handy of the '81's

this is a 1982 bag pics (image on bag is a 1981 Henderson)
    imageimage

1982 set

1983 Display
  • Options

<< <i>I have multiples of all the sets in storage

1981 is easily the scarcest set because the set was issued over a short time with little advertising and only in Bay Area. it also had to be put together card by card 1 at a time buying twin bags of GG Chips (NO complete set offer at Ball Park) . They also had a high % of cards with grease stains. If you wanted to you could shake the bag a bit and the card would slide to the white areas of bag and you could see the players name through the wax paper (front or back) so no need to buy dups if good at this image. I bought hundreds of bags over the 3 years of these sets and still have a few of the empty bags w/ advertising and pics on outside. The 1981 Revering card was the real rare one, I was lucky to find out it was short printed while the cards were still in bags and got at least 6-8 of them that summer (my Dad was a Safeway mgr so it helped image )

the 2nd rarest set would be the 1983 set with coupons intact and unscratched, because the complete set given away at the ball park in Oakland that year had them cut off so the only way to get the coupon cards was in bags of chips.

I dont have scans handy of the '81's

Wait a sec--pack/bag searching has been around for 30 years? LOL
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Darn pack shakers. Wonder what people did back then when they caught someone shaking in the snack isle.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    prolly gittin dat groove thang on wit Peaches and Herb.
  • Options
    fkw: That is an amazing amount of information/help. Thank you!

I believe the issue that I found was in fact the 1982, not 1981 image However, I also believe I saw one or two of the 1983 issue with the tab still attached. I hate to be one of those posters, but I do not have access to them right now. I've told this story a few times before, but my girlfriends father passed away over 30 years ago but had an impressive collection. Although I've gone through most of the expensive stuff (50s and 60s sets), everytime I go to visit there seems to be something new/different to look at.

I found the Henderson Granny Goose cards (as I said probably 1982 & 1983 issues) along with a bunch of early to mid 80's regional issues (police sets, mother's cookies, etc.) and I wasn't sure about the Henderson. I am not sure the next time I am going to visit her families house, but I will most definitely update this thread with scans of the cards. Maybe around Xmas time? We shall see!

Thanks again for the help!
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    This brings back memories. I "fondled" many bags of chips in 81 to 83. I collected cards with my grandparents at the time and we literally had potato chips coming out of our ears. I even got sick of them. My grandparents had a neighbor who had a tooth for BBQ chips so we kept him fed. As Rickey Henderson was and is my favorite player, every Rickey bag would be snagged up. I have a "zillion" of these cards today.

I agree with the above poster about rarities/etc. That is my same recollection. I believe sets were offered at the ballpark each year (or at least in 82 and 83) and we went to those games. I'd hit up people coming in and buy their sets for a dollar. I almost got chased off by stadium security. Pesky kid.

I have fond memories of these cards as they remind me of great times with my grandparents. While I have not seen any sales in ages, I cannot imagine the demand is high. I'm not even sure the '81 Revering will still command a premium.

Matt
  • Options
    Granny Goose is kinda hot
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Just wanted to add that I forgot to mention the 1982 Signature cards/set (see offer on back of 1982 bag), they would be the scarcest set overall

looks like the Henderson w/signature won you a trip to the World Series

the cards w/signature are facsimile and printed on card

I dont have any of these and never found one in a bag that year, but do have some cards with real signatures I got signed at ball park

here are some pics of the winning Signature cards I found on internet
    1982 GG A's Signature Cards
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Cliff Johnson is almost smiling. remarkable.
  • Options
    Here are some scans of the cards in question! It turns out there were all three version (81,82 & 83 as well as an unscratched version of the 83)

Is the 83 without the scratch foil a variation? There is no sign of any sorting of scratching the occurred with the card, and I have the rest of the complete set as well unscratched!

Enjoy the pics! Hal

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Nice. I've been looking for a nicely centered 81.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Those are nice!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Love the 83..