Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What would you grade this Ruth autograph? Update on the last post!

I was looking at it today at the bank and thinking about submitting to PSA/DNA for grading.
Any thoughts?

AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    looks authentic in every way... nice looking dark sig too

a few reasons...
    not easy to find an old unsigned blue/red stitch ball
    not easy to put old shellac on a modern fake sig (its not fake)
    and Ruth sig is easily the most common from that Era
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Love the ball. Nice bold sig! Not often I have seen a shellacked ball that I find appealing but that is VERY nice.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! Any thoughts on a numerical grade? It has a LOA from JSA already.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I think that sig looks 9-10. There is no ink fade, its solid, no skip marks, no smudging/overlap. What PSA would grade it, I have no idea. Not sure how they assign grades to a sig.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Love the ball. Nice bold sig! Not often I have seen a shellacked ball that I find appealing but that is VERY nice. >>

+ 1
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely submit it to PSA for grading. There's so many fake Ruth autos out there that having PSA grade it - whatever the grade - will boost the value.

If I remember right, PSA grades the ball and the autograph separately then averages them for a final grade. Something like that. I can see the ball getting a very low grade but that auto is super-nice. I would think the auto would get a 9. Ball might get a 1 or 2 though image

<< <i>Absolutely submit it to PSA for grading. There's so many fake Ruth autos out there that having PSA grade it - whatever the grade - will boost the value.

If I remember right, PSA grades the ball and the autograph separately then averages them for a final grade. Something like that. I can see the ball getting a very low grade but that auto is super-nice. I would think the auto would get a 9. Ball might get a 1 or 2 though image >>

It already has a JSA cert which does hold some weight I believe.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Looks like grade 5, I see a lot of white specks in the signature.
  • To me authentic would be enough.
  • GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    If I remember right, PSA grades the ball and the autograph separately then averages them for a final grade. Something like that. I can see the ball getting a very low grade but that auto is super-nice. I would think the auto would get a 9. Ball might get a 1 or 2 though

I don't think that's how it works, don't they usually put on there auto grade only? Shouldn't that mean it's just based on the ink? And Id say the ink is 7+ The h at the end of Ruth may lower it a tad.
    Nathan Wagner
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Absolutely submit it to PSA for grading. There's so many fake Ruth autos out there that having PSA grade it - whatever the grade - will boost the value.

If I remember right, PSA grades the ball and the autograph separately then averages them for a final grade. Something like that. I can see the ball getting a very low grade but that auto is super-nice. I would think the auto would get a 9. Ball might get a 1 or 2 though image >>

It already has a JSA cert which does hold some weight I believe. >>

Missed that about the JSA. Of course, if you ask Hauls of Shame, JSA is barely worth the paper it's printed on. I think I'd still get it graded.
  • GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Honestly, I've had items I have gotten in person turned down from psa and was disapointed but I could accept it. But then Psa refused to authenticate an item I bought in a pre certified lot from R&R auctions...if Psa is really the gold standard then why didn't they authenticate items they already pre- certified as being authentic enough to be put in a major auction?? After that fiasco I give my business to JSA (Who passed my item (: ) in my opion they are more courteous and every bit as reputable as Psa but everyone has different opinions and feelings on the matter.
    Nathan Wagner
    An update to and old thread. The signature was found authentic by PSA/DNA. They wouldn't grade the signature or the ball through because there are 5 signatures on the ball, and apparently they will only do grades for three or less sigs.

I actually found a similar ball up for auction with heritage. Christy Walsh gave these as gifts to VIP's who were attending the 1930 World Series. The balls were mounted on ink blotters at the time, as was this one but obviously removed. Here is the link:

Ruth Ball Heritage

Thanks for looking and commenting on the thread!
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

• << <i>

<< <i>

It already has a JSA cert which does hold some weight I believe. >>

Missed that about the JSA. Of course, if you ask Hauls of Shame, JSA is barely worth the paper it's printed on. I think I'd still get it graded. >>

They have torn in to both lead authentication companies from what I understand.

As for the ball, it's really nice to have an authentic Ruth sig and backed up by PSA/DNA and JSA LOAs. Great piece!