Home Sports Talk

Hey 1985fan.......did you see the end of the New England game?

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
That's what elite QB's do.....win games!

Romo is no Brady and never will be!

Class dismissed!image

Comments

• 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    So by that 'reasoning' Brees isn't elite because he didn't lead enough TD drives in the fourth quarter to give his team the win.

edited for spelling/grammar.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brees is also an elite QB. If there would have been time left he would probably have led his team down for a score.

Those are 2 of the 20 some QB's I would trade Romo for.image

<< <i>Brees is also an elite QB. If there would have been time left he would probably have led his team down for a score.

Those are 2 of the 20 some QB's I would trade Romo for.image >>

But he didn't, they LOST so by your own definition he isn't elite!

I don't think I have ever met anyone as stupid as you 1985fan!

Better get to you TV and watch your boy play. If he can't beat the hapless skins.....

The TV guys just talked about Romo and his choking ways.

Every body seems to see this but you......wake up....and enjoy the game!

<< <i>
    Better get to you TV and watch your boy play. If he can't beat the hapless skins..... >>

He's YOUR team's QB. He's YOUR boy. Your rooting against him violates every rule in the fan's rulebook.

<< <i>The TV guys just talked about Romo and his choking ways. >>

Because the guys on TV are the epitome of unbiased, objective reporting and NOT just arguing for argument's sake. Hey, kind of like you!

<< <i>Every body seems to see this but you......wake up....and enjoy the game! >>

Again, the Cowboys AREN'T my team, they're YOURS!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all due respect Dimeman, it does sound like you're almost rooting for Romo to fail. If you're a true Cowboys fan, that is just absurd.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Hey, nobody and I mean NOBODY will be happier than me if Romo could turn his losing ways around and become a winner and lead the Cowboys to a SB win. I defended him for years, but have been burnt so many times that I am to the "SHOW ME" point now.

A good solid game and win tonite would be a good start.
    I've never seen someone supposedly root for one team yet applaud so much when a member of that team fails. It truly is mind blowing, it's almost as if you can't wait for Romo to stumble so you have something to crow about.

Would you rather go back to the Quincy Carter days? How about Bledsoe or Testaverde?
  • Hey 1985Fan yu make this place so annoying I don't even like to look at it ! Can you please shut up and go away with your kindergarten he-man sports talk wanna be sh*t ? SHUT UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bunt you're joking, right? Someone else started this thread, you do realize that?
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Brady got multiple attempts at a comeback in the final minutes b/c the Pats defense limited the Saints to a FG and then forced a 3 and out.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Dimeman,

I have a question for you. You claim that elite QB's elevate their game when the game is on the line. You point out how some guys can elevate their game at the end, score more often, and as a result win more often.

I have to ask you, if an 'elite' QB has this ability to become a better QB on the last drive, then why do they just save that unstoppable ability for the last drive or last play? Why not employ that unstoppable ability all game? They would never lose!

In essence, you are calling them stupid. Because, if they do indeed call on their ability to elevate their game in the final moments, then they must realize that doing that ALL GAME would mean that their team would never lose! Stupid.

Or maybe they are psychic? Maybe they realize that they know that they can just play at one level all game, figuring that the game will stay close enough, that they would then be able to play the role of hero by saving their elevated skills just for that moment. Psychic.

You are also calling them lazy! I've heard this before? You say, well, they can't play at that level all game! Really? Why not? Is it that taxing to decide to throw the ball to a guy on your team, as opposed to a guy on the other team? They must be lazy if they are not willing to do that all game...yet they don't.

If Brady, Brees, etc... do indeed have this ability to elevate their game from a 95 rating QB to that of a 140 rated QB on the final drive, then why not play as a 140 QB the entire game? Are they stupid, psychic, or lazy? Because based on all the stuff you have been saying on this topic, those seem to be the only choices.

Or just maybe, the fact is that at the elite level of play(like the NFL), there are too many variables at play, including, teammates, luck, randomness, and insufficient sample sizes, when using last minute drives or Playoff wins as your barometer of how good a QB is, over what the larger sample of the other 16 games(which are also of extremely high pressure) already say.

Has Tom Brady forgotten how to be clutch? His team is 3-5 in their last eight playoff games. Why isn't he calling upon that clutch ability that you are saying Romo needs to do? Answer is, because there variables at play, teammates, luck, and randmoness at the elite level in such small sample sizes...just likewhen they were in his favor in his earlier playoff times when they won Super Bowls.

Joe Montana was clutch because he went 4-0 in Super Bowl games. Then why did he chose to only play good enough to go 4-3 in Conference Championship games? Was he being lazy, stupid, or psychic? Did he not realize that playing at that elite clutch level would have allowed him to win SEVEN super Bowl games?? No, variables were at play. He isn't anymore 'clutch' or elite than what he showed in the 16 regular season games each season.

I'm not saying Romo is as good as either Brady or Montana, just that your method of evaluating is quite faulty and poor. Yes, I know broadcasters do the same thing...but they aren't all the sharpest tools in the shed and they need to create stories and drama to make everything more exciting so people watch. So I wouldn't take what they say with anything more than a grain of salt. If you want to listen to their advice on how to tackle or block, then probably good advice.

Romo may not be as good as his QB rating indicates, now that may be a different debate!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets make one thing clear, Tom Brady and the New England Patriots since 2007 cannot win the big game so lets not talk about the word "Clutch" when it comes to the Pats. They won yesterday more so by the NO Defense playing poorly when the game was on the line.

Their last Super Bowl appearance was made by stupid luck not clutch performance.
    Here are the all time leaders in Game Winning Drives:

1. Marino 51
    2. Manning 50
    3. Elway 46
    4. Favre 45
    5. Brady 39

43. Aikman 21
    51. Romo 19

58. Starr 18
    65. Steve Young 17
    65. Simms 17

I guess it is good to see Romo where Aikman is at, since Aikman was the beneficiary of one of the greatest supporting casts ever(and waaay overrated as a QB because of the SB wins his elite team has).

In fact, in the seven years where Aikman did not have the elite supporting cast, his QB record was 38-52. If Aikman were so great, and so clutch, don't you think that he should have done much better than that in those seven years?? He was clutch and elite, right? He knew how to win, right? Not right!! Those seven years comprise more than half of his career! SEVEN YEARS out of 12 he was average to below! More than half his career he couldn't win, lol.

Add that he only had 21 game wining drives, it is easy to see that you have a QB that won becasue of the eliteness of his teammates, and having some good luck and randomness go his way.

Put Aikman on a team that doesn't have an elite supporting cast, and he too would be viewed the way that Romo is! How do I know that? Because he played seven years on teams like that and he only went 38-52, lol!

Dimeman, you said "thats what elite QB's do, they win games." I guess Aikman isn't elite. His supporting cast in his Super Bowl years, elite, 100% yes! Him? No. He couldn't win games without them!
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can adapt that "not successful without his supporting cast" Aikman statement to Brady as well. He hasn't been winning the big ones since his favorite recievers left.
    Just saying.

Edit to add- I've no dog in this hunt. Bears fan. I'm used to mediocrity. image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

• << <i>

I have to ask you, if an 'elite' QB has this ability to become a better QB on the last drive, then why do they just save that unstoppable ability for the last drive or last play? Why not employ that unstoppable ability all game? They would never lose!

! >>

For some reason Tim Tebow had incredible 4th quarters in the NFL. He was not an elite QB, and he did not have incredible 4th quarters all the time.
    But his incredible 4th quarters greatly outweighed his bad 4th quarters.

I think that's what Dimeman is saying, that Romo has a history of blowing big games, whereas Brady does not have that reputation.

If someone were to say that Romo is more clutch then Brady, that would be upsurd.
    What a shock that fitz would bring Tebow into this.

The only people suggesting that Romo has a problem with closing out games are either ignorant fans or equally ignorant media analysts who choose to ignore facts in order to perpetuate a story line that simply doesn't hold up to the light of logic and reason.

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Hey 1985Fan yu make this place so annoying I don't even like to look at it ! Can you please shut up and go away with your kindergarten he-man sports talk wanna be sh*t ? SHUT UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

I think you're actually worse than him.
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    don't think I have ever met anyone as stupid as you 1985fan!

Hey Dimeman, try looking into the mirror.

Even if Romo isnt a "Brady", how many QB's are?

It's cool if you dont like or respect Romo as a quarterback. But to say that he is in the bottom 12 starting quarterbacks in the league, simply proves your lack of knowledge.
  • Have you guys heard this lunatic?

Scott Zolak, Patriots color guy
  • Larry, Moe and Curly are the all time Greatest Bumbling bafoons. Their hilarious stupidity is legendary!

Dimeman, 1985fan and Skin7 are obviously challenging for the title every time the open their mouths.

HILARIOUS STUFF you three! Do you guys practice the routine are does it just come natural?

Corn you have a problem with a sports discussion? What exactly do you have a problem with what's being said?

<< <i>Larry, Moe and Curly are the all time Greatest Bumbling bafoons. Their hilarious stupidity is legendary!

Dimeman, 1985fan and Skin7 are obviously challenging for the title every time the open their mouths.

HILARIOUS STUFF you three! Do you guys practice the routine are does it just come natural? >>

I would imagine that Corncobb has strong beliefs in some things...and finds offense to these posts because they shine light through the great big holes in his theories. He is much like a ten year old kid discovering that Santa Claus isn't real, so he scoffs, laughs, and makes fun, because that is the only thing he is capable of doing when his beliefs are shown to be nothing but a figment of his imagination.