Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Lyman Bostock collection

Hello everyone,
I just recently signed up on the board and I am enjoying reading all of the message board topics. I wanted to post a few pics of my Lyman Bostock collection, but I am having trouble uploading them to a post. I got my first Bostock card in the early 1990s after reading his story on the back of his Sportscaster card. Since then, I have collected everything Bostock related I can find.
If anyone has any Bostock items they are looking to move, please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! Nice cards. Where do you obtain the information to create your custom cards to match a specific Topps design?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome! Nice cards. Where do you obtain the information to create your custom cards to match a specific Topps design? >>

Thanks. I actually make my cards very crudely. I get a picture that I want to use, get a picture of a Topps card from the team and year I am making, and make the card with MS paint. I am sure there are some really nice programs out there for making custom cards, but I have good luck with how I am doing it.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>Hi, hello, how are ya? image >>

Thanks. I am very well.
    I just updated my bucket with pics of my Lyman Bostock Topps Vault photo proofs.
    I will be adding my Pirates collection to my bucket soon, since that is my main collecting focus. I collect Clemente, Groat, Stargell, Mazeroski, Van Slyke, and others.
  • Options
    buntbunt Posts: 625
    he went so far as to build a bostock photobucket account, and actually take time to upoad them.

• Options
    Yes I did. What's your point?
  • Options
    Well you for sure have the bet collection of gis stuff I ve seen. A great memorial to one of the best late 70s rookie stars and a true humanitarian. He died helping others and that was probably what he most cared about.

I think I might have some high grade 77 cards of him.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    [q He died helping others and that was probably what he most cared about.

>>

huh?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    What?
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What? >>

He sounded like a good guy but he didn't die helping others (he was shot & killed in the back seat of car)

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Very cool collection. I love specialized collections like this of players that are not heavily collected. Cool stuff.

Ignore the haters.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    nice stuff!!

welcome
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes I did. What's your point? >>

One of my favorite responses of 2013.

Welcome to the boards!

Nick
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. Among the Bostock items on my dream list are:
    PSA 10 1976 rookie, PSA 10 1977, the Kellogg's Dock Ellis variation, and eventually a single signed baseball.
    I have a Bostock model glove, a beautiful PSA 10 graded signed 3x5, various cut signatures, vintage photos, and I even started a Facebook page for him in which a few members of his family have reached out.
  • Options
    Ummm he died visiting someone he had mentored and financially supported since the girl was a child. Unfortunately that girls friend husband shot and killed him when he and his uncle were dropping them off
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    I had never seen the 78 hostess Bostock card before I bought a large collection of them years back. Hostess action shots are quite unique and along with a Carew from the same time frame, they are a couple of my favorites and would love to have both signed.

Sadly, Bostock collectors don't have the opportunity to go after much variety.
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    hi, I see that you show photos of both variations for the Kelloggs Bostock cards and was wondering if they are available for sale ? I am trying to collect every Kelloggs card and am missing this different photo on back variation,
    hope to hear from you,
    sincerely,
    mike
    mcady68677@aol.com
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    Was unfamiliar with Lyman Bostock's story until today - very sad.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The 1978 season started off poorly for Bostock; he batted .150 for the month of April. Bostock met with the team's management and attempted to return his April salary, saying he had not earned it. The team refused, so Bostock announced he would donate his April salary to charity. Thousands of requests came in for the money, and Bostock reviewed each one of them, trying to determine who needed it the most. Ultimately he would recover his form, hitting .404 in June on the way to a .296 average for the season, just outside the top ten for the year.

Bostock was a man of principle, and he felt a responsibility to live up to the contract he had signed. It's a damn shame that he didn't live longer.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

Bostock was a man of principle, and he felt a responsibility to live up to the contract he had signed. It's a damn shame that he didn't live longer

I agree a 100%,