Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1993 Atlanta Braves Lykes Perforated Set

As far as modern sets go, the 1993 Lykes Braves Sets seem to be one of the hardest to find. I came across a separated Perforated set consisting of 30 cards recently as this has been on my radar for quite a while. The set represents the Braves in their prime, with key cards of Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, Tom, Glavine, Steve Avery, Terry Pendleton, Ryan Klesko, Fred McGriff, David Justice and Deion Sanders among others. Although Chipper Jones was on the 1993 roster, he wasn't considered a starter and thus not included in the set. The set was a stadium giveaway and came intact along with a team picture at the top. Each card measures approximately 2 1/8 X 3 1/8. There is a "standard" Lykes set also, which has the traditional smooth edges and different card design. PSA has yet to grade any cards in either of the two sets. I plan on sending a few in, although they will not garner high grades due to minor creasing. I would appreciate if anyone has any more information to please add or if any own either of the sets please share images. Here are a few of the key cards from the perforated set:

Comments

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Did the sheet come with a team photo attached? That's the case with the '94 set.
  • Options
    Very difficult to find. I have the 92 and 96 version still intact. Bryans hot dog also released a similar product. Not sure about the years
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did the sheet come with a team photo attached? That's the case with the '94 set. >>

The 1993 set does come with the photo attached. I received the set in a small binder with the Braves and Lykes names printed on the front and back cover and the binder also had card holder pages designed to fit the smaller cards. The cards themselves aren't fully perforated on all sides, just the top and bottom.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dad worked for Lykes and I have a ton of those somewhere in my basement. I didn't realize they had value and hard to find. All my sheets are all intact
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    I keep thinking some day the hobby will appreciate sets like this and the zillions of regionals that were issued in the 1980s and 90s. Some are common but many are virtually impossible to find these days. Rookie cards that are far more rare than their card company counterparts. A lot of them are odd sized and really interesting. Most were 'card night' giveaways or underpublicized food issues. I used to collect these pretty fervently in all sports and the Lyke's sets were always tough. There used to be a few dealers who actually specialized in the modern regional sets until the interest sort of faded in the 2000s.
  • Options

<< <i>As far as modern sets go, the 1993 Lykes Braves Sets seem to be one of the hardest to find. I came across a separated Perforated set consisting of 30 cards recently as this has been on my radar for quite a while. The set represents the Braves in their prime, with key cards of Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, Tom, Glavine, Steve Avery, Terry Pendleton, Ryan Klesko, Fred McGriff, David Justice and Deion Sanders among others. Although Chipper Jones was on the 1993 roster, he wasn't considered a starter and thus not included in the set. The set was a stadium giveaway and came intact along with a team picture at the top. Each card measures approximately 2 1/8 X 3 1/8. There is a "standard" Lykes set also, which has the traditional smooth edges and different card design. PSA has yet to grade any cards in either of the two sets. I plan on sending a few in, although they will not garner high grades due to minor creasing. I would appreciate if anyone has any more information to please add or if any own either of the sets please share images. Here are a few of the key cards from the perforated set:

Would you be able to scan the perforated McGriff? I have been looking for this version for my McGriff collection for a long time and have never seen it. I would be very interested if you had any plans of parting with it.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422

<< <i>My dad worked for Lykes and I have a ton of those somewhere in my basement. I didn't realize they had value and hard to find. All my sheets are all intact >>

Buried treasure! Those teams were loaded. 2 HOFers and counting. I believe smoltz, mcgriff and chipper should all be in, but mcgriff hasn't gotten much love from the voters. Had like 490 HRs and his name has never been mentioned with PEDs. I met him last November and he was a gentleman to boot. Great guy.... And enormous forearms! Lol
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Eventually there may be, but for now there is enough love from those that appreciate them to drive prices up. i feel the same way about the newspaper "cards" as well.

[URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/My Collection/VTPressGuidryPinella_zpsf4749a33.jpg.html]image[/URL][URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/My Collection/1980-11_zps219b839e.jpg.html]image[/URL]

<< <i>I keep thinking some day the hobby will appreciate sets like this and the zillions of regionals that were issued in the 1980s and 90s. Some are common but many are virtually impossible to find these days. Rookie cards that are far more rare than their card company counterparts. A lot of them are odd sized and really interesting. Most were 'card night' giveaways or underpublicized food issues. I used to collect these pretty fervently in all sports and the Lyke's sets were always tough. There used to be a few dealers who actually specialized in the modern regional sets until the interest sort of faded in the 2000s. >>

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    I was trying to find some information on the 93 team set when I found this thread. I found mine recently when I helped my parents move and was going through my old stuff. I know a few people were asking about specific cards and what they looked like, so I thought I would share some pictures
  • Options
    I was trying to find some information on the 93 team set when I found this thread. I found mine recently when I helped my parents move and was going through my old stuff. I know a few people were asking about specific cards and what they looked like, so I thought I would share a picture 93 lykes team set
  • Options
    here are a couple more. [url=http://postimage.org/]image[/url]
    [url=http://postimage.org/]upload image online[/url]

[url=http://postimage.org/]image[/url]
    [url=http://postimage.org/app.php]print screen[/url]
  • Options
    Cool stuff! I love oddball cards like these.
  • Options
    It took me a little while to find mine. I have two of the 1995 set.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice.

Admiral Yost down in the lower right corner.
  • Options
    So can somebody tells me what Lykes is? Obviously a brand of some sort, but is it a store chain or what?
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Lykes is the official hot dog of the Braves
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options

<< <i>Lykes is the official hot dog of the Braves >>

OK thanks!
  • Options
    I am getting married next year and unfortunately selling off most of my childhood cards, toys, etc. I'm auctioning off the team set, but with ten minutes left, $30 is less than I was hoping for.