Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver/Gold Brands to buy for the future

ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
I am planning to make some large purchases ($25,000-$50,000+) soon and wanted to know what brands you would recommend.
I'm planning on keeping these bars for 15-20 years and then add some small stuff like the Lunar Series II for the kids so they stay interested.

For Silver, I have been leaning towards all JM 100oz bars, but, with the more and more posts about fake bars, I'm wondering if it is worth paying a slight premium for new bars like the Sunshine V2 with a security label or the Geiger bars.
Also, curious if you would bother with 1 oz and 10 oz bars if I plan on buying 2000-3000 ozs?

imageimage
imageimage

For Gold, I am going with some US Mint products like graded Buffalos and Eagles, but, have also started buying more Pamp bars because they are well known and always in demand.
imageimage

I am a little worried with any bar that doesn't have a security label and a serial number. Anyway, just curious what you guys are planning for the future and how you plan to sell too.

Cheers, Tim

Positive BST Transactions with:
Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am planning to make some large purchases ($25,000-50,000) soon and wanted to know what brands you would recommend.
    I'm planning on keeping these bars for 15-20 years and then add some small stuff like the Lunar Series II for the kids so they stay interested.

I have been leaning towards all JM 100oz bars, but, with the more and more posts about fake bars, I'm wondering if it is worth paying a premium for new bars like Sunshine V2 with a security label or the Geiger bars.
    Also, curious if you would bother with 1 oz and 10 oz bars if I plan on buying 1500-2000 ozs?

Anyway, just curious what you guys are planning for the future and how you plan to sell too.

Cheers, Tim >>

I would also look at the silver bars made by the Royal Canadian Mint.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I would go with Monster boxes of ASE for the majority and then some variety of bars you like.

Pamp makes 1 kilo bars now, don't know how bir of a premium they require.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all purchases should be made with resale in mind, even if years down the road. The best premiums now will more than likely return the best premiums. There are good reasons buyers are willing to pay higher premiums on select products. The higher metals go, the more they will be counterfeited. The sealed ASE monster boxes would also be my first choice. Remember, collecting and stacking are not the same thing.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would go with Monster boxes of ASE for the majority and then some variety of bars you like >>

I would highly second that opinion.

I feel there are a number of subtle benefits to owning silver eagles as the primary core position for ones silver holdings.
    Indirect government protection against future rampant counterfeiting is one that comes to mind.
    Highly recognizable, small and transportable. Tubes of 20 up to full monster boxes store very easily.
    With one ounce increments it's just as easy to sell 5oz as it is to sell 40oz or 500oz for that matter, this could be important should the criteria ever change regarding the reportable level of transactions for bullion sales and you happen to be someone who has privacy issues. Never underestimate big brother.
    There are plenty more I 'm sure we could think of.
    Given your projected budget I would consider the purchase of a monster box to get started and then use the remaining funds to purchase 10 - 15 tubes per year so that your averaging in your position and adding the benefit of having multiple years (differing dates) of silver eagles. You never know what years could prove to be more desired at a later time that could provide an added bonus beyond the obvious bullion value.
    The only real downside, at least as I see it, is the fact that the initial premium tends to be higher, but as others have stated, that premium may be able to be made up, or perhaps partially made up, on the other end.

Personally, I don't think I would go all in with a 25-50k purchase. I'd at least consider averaging my purchases over a broader period of time. I think one has to consider that, at the very least, there is an equal chance that silver can go lower from here as there is that it can go higher, particularly given what "feels" like manipulation in the PM space right now. I recognize that a long range hold was mentioned but circumstances can always change, sometimes outside of our control. I never heard anyone complain that they had a lower cost of entry/ownership. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    I would go with the silver eagles as well. If I were you, I get a fresh monster box of 2014 SAEs when they come out in a couple months. That way you know you're getting a brand new product from the mint. I know the premiums are higher, but IMO, it's worth it (especially with this large of a purchase).
  • Options
    Oh man, you guys are no fun!!! image I know that monster boxes of ASEs are probably the safest thing to do, but, a coupled sealed boxes in a SDB is so...boring haha.
    I just love the look of silver bars and they actually are a little easier stack in a SDB. Plus monster boxes are sealed and you can't even look at them! I know I can always just buy sealed rolls and stack those in a SDB as well.
    Maybe I'll do rolls of ASEs of my kids birth year for them and do 100 oz bricks for daddy!!!

Anyway, I do plan on cost averaging over the end of the year and will try to buy on the dips. Most of this is inheritance money from grandma for the kids and wanted to invest half in PMs. I don't plan on cashing anything out in the next 15 years and just wanted the safest bullion available. So, you guys are right (and that's exactly why I ask my fellow bullion brothers), ASEs are probably the safest thing to buy for the long term.

I was also wondering if you guys are worried about common JM and Engelhard bars that can be counterfeit and if anyone was starting to look at bars with security type measures?
    Also, wondering how most of you plan on selling in case of an emergency or if PMs take off....I mean, you have to cash out at some point...right?

Thanks again for your insight! Tim
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know that monster boxes of ASEs are probably the safest thing to do, but, a coupled sealed boxes in a SDB is so...boring haha. >>

and there lies the problem with a quantity of ASEs - storage. SDB is not cost effective because of the bulkiness of silver vs. it's value. SDBs work best with gold.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    if you are truly stacking metal...

Sealed ASE MB...hands down.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get each kid a bulky monster box and a 100 oz bar (JM or Engelhard), and allocate the rest of the money to a "collection" of compact gold and platinum.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I concur with the ASEs, any quantity.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the wisdom of putting anything of value in a SDB. You might just lose everything. I would never ever put anything in a SDB.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say Perth items would be fine, for bars as well - gold or silver. Honestly whatever is 'on sale' when you're ready to buy that is a solid name will treat you right.

My stack is so mixed up it's crazy, gold from every continent, silver from all over the place too. Absolutely nothing wrong with variety. I steer clear of the 100ozers though, limits the resale options vs singles/5s/10s.
  • Options
    I wouldn't get hung up on buying a specific brand. Buy what you can from reliable sources at a price close to melt. Just make sure you buy bars from recognized producers such as NTR, OPM, Silvertowne, Sunshine, J-M, Engelhard, APMEX, etc. Paying a premium over melt for Pamp or similar premium bars is risky since that premium may disappear down the road.

• Options

<< <i>I'll say Perth items would be fine, for bars as well - gold or silver. Honestly whatever is 'on sale' when you're ready to buy that is a solid name will treat you right.

My stack is so mixed up it's crazy, gold from every continent, silver from all over the place too. Absolutely nothing wrong with variety. I steer clear of the 100ozers though, limits the resale options vs singles/5s/10s. >>

My stash is the same way. As they say "Variety is the spice of life."image

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For silver, I also agree on ASEs, although I still have some 90% in bags. It's unlikely that 90% will be questioned as potentially counterfeit. I opened my sealed boxes of ASEs in order to consolidate them into smaller boxes, but the benefit of a smaller storage footprint seemed to make sense. As long as I know where they came from, they can always be verified when sold.

If silver bars are being counterfeited, the incentive for counterfeiting gold is even greater, so I'd keep to the major known types of gold issues and buy from reputable sources only. I'm torn on whether or not Swiss gold bars might be an advantage or not.

Not being political, but I was shocked to hear on the radio last night that some secondary school history books put emphasis on the internment camps during WWII, but make no mention of Pearl Harbor. When I hear stuff like this, I sometimes wonder if the US will someday be completely shunned and it's gold products discounted. But I don't believe that will happen in my lifetime.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For Gold, I am going with some US Mint products like graded Buffalos and Eagles, but, have also started buying more Pamp bars because they are well known and always in demand. >>

I would not pay the premium to have graded US gold. Gold Eagles or Buffalos from a reputable dealer should be fine.
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    Whatever you decide to go with, do not purchase the card to detect the "valid" Sunshine Minting bars. You can see the VALID even with a naked eye...
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    ASE's and AGE's.

I wish I had a rich grandma...........
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bags of 90%, in $100, $500, or $1000 face value are also real liquid in whole or part...

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Grandma wasn't rich at all, just paid her home off in LA and died from brain cancer after a 10 year fight. My mother in law was actually an awesome lady, so hard to see her go like that, especially at 65!

I would like to say that I used to have around $70K in PMs until I sold it all for a house last year. My problem was that I bought mostly JM 1, 5, 10, 100 oz bars and lots of assorted stuff with high premiums.
    When it came time to sell, I lost a lot of the premium because I needed the money faster than I thought selling to Apmex. Although I did sell at $38-44 after buying most at $16-28.
    I also had to sell a lot of special high premium stuff on ebay and got hit with crazy charges. It also took hours each day trying to list and ship all that stuff.

My point is that when it comes time to sell this time, I will only have low premium bars and ASE/AGEs. I also found a dealer close to me that can cash me out quicker and up to $100K when the time comes to sell.

I'm still looking at 100oz bars for me and a monster box for each kid for silver and AGE and Pamps for gold.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. You did change my mind about the ASE monster boxes!

Pics coming in a few months then its all off to the SDB. I don't like having that amount of metal in the house, if you know what I mean!
  • Options

<< <i>Bags of 90%, in $100, $500, or $1000 face value are also real liquid in whole or part... >>

Very true. I do like me some Walking Liberty Halves :-)
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting comrade z. I was just thinking about a new venture of poured bars that would cost around, oh, $25-$50k. These bars would stamped with a pineapple and "Kama Aina." I can give you a discount if you come out and help. You said you don't want boring.