Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hockey's Holy Grail card

How much do you hockey collectors think this will end up at? This is the first time this card has been offered by itself at public auction. It's only a PSA 1 and already at $20,000+.

Text

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like it is one of those funky auctions where it is also part of a set listing too.

With 24 days to go this has to be considered a strong start.

Is there an estimate on the card?
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    First time it's been offered by itself. All we can do is guess. The last one sold as part of a complete set that was SGC graded. The 40 card set sold for about $130,000+. This is the only one that has the redemption punch hole so it's officially a 1 of 1.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting. This will be a fun auction to watch.

• Options
    heck of a card there. I do not like the redemption hole , that turns me off from bidding on this card. If Im going to put a second mortgage on my home image no holes please.

Its going to be really interesting to see.
  • Options
    wait how does this auction work ? Maybe I did not read clearly are they auctioning the set and the card individually ?

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>wait how does this auction work ? Maybe I did not read clearly are they auctioning the set and the card individually? >>

Yes ... ALL the cards are being auctioned INDIVIDUALLY and the ENTIRE SET is being auctioned as one item. Whichever gets the highest bid (the total of all the individual cards or the set as a whole) is the way the set will be sold.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Not a hockey guy and have never heard of this card. Question - is the redeemed/punched card more desirable? Why or why not? Is that true for the other cards in the set?
  • Options
    I'm not a vintage hockey collector at all. I thought the holy grail was a Georges Vezina card from the early 1900's?

This card seems analogous to the 32 US Caramel Fred Lindstrom or the George C Miller Ivy Andrews. Wasn't that card cut in half to show the redemption?
  • Options
    I agree that this card is not a hockey holy grail card (i.e. Honus Wagner T-206).

It IS a holy grail in the sense of how rare it is, but collectors do not desire this card as much as many other cards.

If this card were a Vezina, then it would be hockey's holy grail card for sure.
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Over $55,000 with extended bidding just starting. Not bad for a PSA 1.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Sold as part of the set for $99k + 19.5% juice..
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could think of many other Hockey cards I'd rather have
  • Options
    How high did the individual card get up to?
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    $60k including juice.