Home Sports Talk

Is Eli Manning headed to the Hall?

If Manning never rebounds from the way he is playing now, does he make the Hall on past glory?

I think yes. 2 Super Bowl MVP's, including a most improbably one over one of the most dominant teams in NFL history. Namath did a lot less and made it.

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Yes ... Yes ... Yes.

Broadway Joe made it for more than just his actual play on the field.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Dunno about the Hall, or if he's over the Hill, but this year he is in Hell
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two-time Super Bowl MVP winner, including one vs the undefeated Pats, gets him in, imo, though maybe not on first try.

Edit to add: Namath's Super Bowl upset win was much more significant in the history of the NFL, however, as it legitimized the AFL (who had been considered akin to a junior league at that point in time) and pretty much facilitated the merger of the two leagues.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the mess hall. nowhere's else.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the Giants, but I figure Manning is a lock
  • Yes he will get in......for $22
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    If his best days are behind him and they might just be at this point then no way no how, regardless of two super bowl wins. Not with the unprecedented depth at qb in this era.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes he will get in......for $22 >>

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No brainer.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Happy birthday Eli!
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Not sure how I missed this thread a couple months ago, but I'm surprised to see the overwhelming support for Eli's candidacy.

He's played almost his entire career in the pass-happy NFL era, where the elite QBs have completion percentages around 65% and TD/INT ratios around 3:1. Eli has a career 58% and 1.3:1 ratio, and has led the league in interceptions 3 TIMES. His career passing rating is 81.2(!).

I don't put much stock in the Super Bowl MVPs, especially since he won the first one by default (not unlike Brady's first SB MVP, which should have gone to either Vinatieri or Ty Law), since nobody else had a strong statistical game (I would argue someone from the defense should have won it, for holding the all-time highest scoring team to 14 points). There are plenty of one-time SB MVPs not in the HOF.

The eye test tells me he is not a HOFer, but the induction committee loves players with Super Bowl rings that maybe he will get in on the 7th or 8th ballot. There is no doubt his playoff resume (to date) is impressive, but there are going to be so many players with better stats and at least 1 Super Bowl ring that Eli's putrid stats will make it hard for him to get induction right away.

• He still has a few years under his belt and I'm sure this year they'll be more successful than this year.
    He shouldn't but he will get elected.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He shouldn't but he will get elected. >>

What 1985 said.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I simply can't believe anyone votes him into the Hall. Perfect example of a "game manager" who had a tremendous team around him.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't him and Big Ben kind of the exact same type candidates? The "EYE" test sounds a little stupid; but I agree. SB's are so huge....and he has 2, so he gets in (Eli and Ben)
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Aren't him and Big Ben kind of the exact same type candidates? The "EYE" test sounds a little stupid; but I agree. SB's are so huge....and he has 2, so he gets in (Eli and Ben) >>

Agreed, two championships and two Super Bowl MVP's should get him inducted.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK I give up.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Aren't him and Big Ben kind of the exact same type candidates?>>>

Pretty much, yes. Ben's numbers are better in the regular season, Eli's better in the post-season...both have 2 rings, but Ben got to a 3rd Super Bowl. I wouldn't put either guy in, but Ben would get in over Eli for me.
  • GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    If two super bowl wins get you in where the heck is Plunkett??/
    Nathan Wagner

<< <i>If two super bowl wins get you in where the heck is Plunkett??/ >>

Unfortunately for him Plunkett didn't play in NY, where every success is overexaggerated to the max. Look at Joe Namath, who might be the most unqualified HoFer. Eli was fortunate to be on two teams that won the super bowl. 58% career completion percentage is hardly setting the world on fire, three times has led the league in interceptions, and you have a guy who should count his lucky stars every night to have those super bowl wins, because without them, he's not going to the hall.

I'll say it again: he's not deserving, but he'll get inducted.
  • Eli Manning will rebound when the Giants rebuild the offensive line and have 3 healthy wide receivers not named Nix and a tight end that can run a route and chew gum at the same time. He is 33 and should play 5-6 years! His stats will be HOF caliber! A chance he may be a three time SB MVP. He will be elected to the Hall in the first 3 years of eligibility! How about putting Charlie Conerly and Phil Sims in before Eli. If you have any doubts see Dvd's of the Giants vs Pats SB 42 and SB 45 to refresh your memory! I was lucky enough to be at both games!

Craig
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get some players around him and he has a good shot at 3 rings.

Yup, he's in.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.