Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Searching for good dealer

This is my first posting on any forum of any kind.

I have been an obsessed coin collector for years, but of U.S. coins.

My Mother was English. My Dad was an avid coin collector. I have been sitting on a hoard of raw "run of the mill" English coin since my Dad died about 10 years ago. All of this stuff was brought back from family trips to the U.K.
For whatever reason, this stuff has more sentimental value than the U.S. coins he left me. I am finally ready to turn loose of this stuff. My goal is to trade bulk for a few nice pieces. I'm not yet sure what a few means, but I am sure I will figure it out.

My point to this post is this:Will someone recommend a trustworthy dealer in British coins who would be willing to work with me to go through the stuff that now fills shoeboxes and albums of 2x2s to upgrade the collection into a more manageable set? I think I know the monarchs on whom I would like to focus, at least to start. But I want advice and guidance, as I provide the clients with whom I work in my profession. I do know dealers in U.S. material but not really any with a U.K. coin focus.

Suggestions?
Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you located?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where are you located? >>

X's 2!
  • Options
    Hello,

FWIW

I have made several trades of duplicate UK material with GBC Coins (at gbccoins.com.com) and I have been pleased with my dealings with them.

Chris

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, sounds a busy bit of work. Were the coins obtained through change whilst visiting or by dedicated collecting?
    From circulation, that is a tough job; from collecting by astute purchases, that would be the opposite.
    Good luck though...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think ajaan scared him off with that uber personal questionimage
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in Birmingham, but don't work with any dealers here.
    I have bought at shows and from websites from dealers from around country. I would prefer a southeastern dealer whom I would see at multiple shows during year. However, that is not a deal killer.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    Birmingham? Alabama, Michigan or England? We have a family friend from england and she is there for this whols month and is looking for some coins for me .
  • Options
    I am open to help and trades but I am not a shop owner and I have not sold at shows most of my dealings are private. I like the British coins. Do you Have older large cent Victoria's with the young head portrait?
  • Options
    I live in Birmingham, AL.
    Yes, I do have a supply of young head cents but all in low grade.
    Are there certain dates and condition you seek?
  • Options
    you should go into your settings and turn on private msgs so people can talk to you with out blowing up the msg board. as to the young heads there are key dates and some type/errrors that I would be interested in and I like all conditions as long as the date and Victoria are visible .
  • Options
    I changed my profile to allow for PM.
    However, I rechecked my holdings and saw they only go as far back as the bun head of 1861.
  • Options
    Did you get my PM I sent you concerning the dates?
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice avatar, Yorkshireman! image

Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    Thanks, yours is awesome as well.
    I'd like to find the real thing with the same toning in both cases!
  • Options
    See your PM