Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

WTB unopened cases from 1970-1986 Topps cases

I am interested in paying a very strong price for unopened case(s) for Topps baseball, basketball and football for the following years.
Football 1987 and older
Baseball 1983 and older
Basketball 1981 and older

looking for wax, cello and/or rack. The case must be sealed and must be in fine shape.

I have been reading on the message boards that some members seem to think there is plenty of stuff of this out there. So if you have any unopened material for sale, please feel free to contact me via PM.

Thanks
Shane
Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases

Comments

• Options
    flash300flash300 Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Shane -- Make sure your inbox is empty. Got a feeling your going to get a lot of offers image .If you can't handle it all let me know lol
  • Options
    Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    Shane,
    I sure hope you will share your experiences with what kind of response you get. I for one believe this stuff is NOT that available or plentiful, but there sure seems to be a lot of members who think this stuff is out there and "easy" to find. In fact, it would be nice to see some of them contact you with information on how and where to find it. However, I'm betting "all their talk" is just that...
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Somewhat connected...I thought this was an interesting recent story from the NYTimes about a car dealer/collector in Nebraska -

In Nebraska, a Field of Low-Mileage Dreams

With this as a backdrop, I would assume the following:

1. Some of these cases are out there somewhere.

2. The various people that own them tend not to visit internet bulletin boards.

3. Virtually impossible to prove a negative - no offers does not mean no cases exist.

Kevin M.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    While I agree with what everyone is saying, you will never have a chance to buy or sell if you don't ask people. Bottom line is I knew it was a long shot and I knew that I would get a crazy comment too. Good news is that perhaps someone with a nice case might see this and might send me a PM.
  • Options
    Check with Larry Fritsch cards. Rumor was years ago was that they had a lot of vintage unopened wax. Doesn't hurt to ask!
  • Options
    I agree that the boxes/cases are out there and that is way I am looking to buy it. Just need to find a collector that wants to sell.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just need to find a collector that wants to sell. >>

Easier said then done.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Shane - I'm not saying you're crazy. Nothing wrong with asking at all. It's always a fun topic as to what is out there somewhere. Just thought the car story was interesting and somewhat comparable. Many people thought cars like that simply did not exist. - Kevin M.
  • Options
    Kevin,
    That was a cool article...glad you shared it...it's always fun to read about those kinds of finds. I think it's a given that there is a certain amount of product (cars, coins, wax, <insert your desired collectible&gtimage that the general public is unaware of or may never see. It's also a given that these "finds" aren't limitless and that even if/when they do surface, it doesn't seem to spell doom for the overall value of that product. Those cars are selling for an enormous amount of money - I would guess record prices for those types of items.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's also a given that these "finds" aren't limitless and that even if/when they do surface, it doesn't seem to spell doom for the overall value of that product. >>

Maybe not doom, per se, but it can certainly diminish the value. Look at the prices for 64 Stand-Up packs as an example.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After REA flooded the market with the Conlon collection and cases of 75 mini wax, prices per box dropped to under 1k per box but have since not only rebounded but are higher than they ever were at over 2k per box. Wish I had bought more and opened less back then, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Grote I think we all wished that. This thread is a shot in the dark but there are collectors out there who read these boards that might want to sell at some point. I for one feel that the unopened is drying up but other collectors are just the opposite. Keeping the fingers crossed it will result in a purchase.
  • Options

<< <i>Grote I think we all wished that. This thread is a shot in the dark but there are collectors out there who read these boards that might want to sell at some point. I for one feel that the unopened is drying up but other collectors are just the opposite. Keeping the fingers crossed it will result in a purchase. >>

Good luck, Shane!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Shane,
    Hats off to you for putting a buy offer out there. Like others, I don't think there is very much available and those that do have cases are probably not selling. But, as the old adage goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained. You don't know unless you ask. Good luck!
    Doug
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    Thanks for posting, great story on that Lambrecht collection car farm. I'm shocked that any of them didn't think to put upa few walls and build a larger stroage facility. If they would have sold a few of the used cars, built a few barns,they would have pulled in 5x plus the amount they did.
  • Options
    Only 1970s case I have seen for a while was on eBay. I think it was a cello from 1977. Can not find the listing anymore though.

What prices are you offering?
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Shane, I hope you get some wonderful offers. You never know unless you try.
  • Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. If you have a specific year on the case you would like to sell please PM me and I will shoot you a price. Wow a 1977 Topps case would have been very nice to buy. Wished I had seen that come for sale.
    On the 1981 Topps Football rack case- I will contact you via PM.

Shane
  • Options
    any other cases for sale?
  • Options
    Shane, did you purchase that football rack box for $4500 earlier in the thread? A big dealer like you I'm sure knows the high and lows of the market place and wasn't afraid at that time to pull the trigger on a big purchase like that. If you did, great purchase and foreshadowing on it!
  • Options
    Thanks SherveBo. Looking to meeting you one day
  • Options
    CrissCriss
    I am interested in the case from 1980 Topps baseball. Please post some pictures of the case and then I will PM you with an answer in 24 hours. Looks like you have some very nice boxes for sale. Not sure the pricing is right but I have been wrong before. Good luck in the sale and looking forward to the scans.

• Options
    This is awesome - haven't seen an unopened '80 case in a long time. Can't wait to see the scans. Don't make us wait too long CrissCriss.
  • Options
    A CASE of 1972??
  • Options
    Thanks CrissCriss
  • Options
    Criss- still have not seen the unopened case that you have for sale. Please forward over the pictures when you can.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Did you ever send him pictures?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Nope never happened. I don't think very many cases exist to buy from the 1970's now with the exception of 1978 Baseball and football and 1979 Baseball. The 1977 Topps case was a great item and Steve did a very nice gesture to break this up for the collecting community. I am still a buyer of cases should one come up for sale.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shane - I think the wise thing to do is not feed a troll. Good luck and hope you find some nice items out there in the near future.

KC
  • Options
    Criss - nobody said you were a troll - you just jumped in and assumed people were talking about you - now what does that tell you?
    As far as like or dislike I don't know you so I cannot judge you, but people have noticed every time I make a post you come in with a snide or sarcastic comment.

Appreciate the nice comments on my cards, but don't understand the comment about "you may not know what to do with them." What am I supposed to do with them? Cards are for collecting, for sharing with friends, for maybe making a couple of $$ to possibly pay for college, for sharing a hobby with my son who loves vintage cards, but mainly because they are fun.

As far as my 53 Mantle your obsession with it is quite scary, and your facts are WAY off. It has not been to two Nationals. As far as "several people", if by people you mean a couple of good friends who set up at the National who are amongst the best in the business at what they do, then yes I showed it to a couple of them. BOTH of them said to sub it - if not I had no plans to do so. If I don't sell the 53 Mantle to people that offer big money guess whose decision that is?

Appreciate the tips, but there are some major collectors on here who I listen to for advice and I would like to think I have done ok listening to them. My collection is nowhere near what a lot of folks have on here, but if I can pick up a few decent cards here or there and make some good friends along the way I would consider myself pretty fortunate.

Take care.

KC
  • Options
    Nope. Did not have it nor the Mantle rookie insured at that time so I did not bring them.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options

Is this the same Crys that I bought the 81 Topps football rack case from? My name is John and we met and did the deal at the Strongsville Ohio show.

• Options

I will send you a PM, I want to know if you still have the 76 Topps wax 20 box football case for sale and what else you may let go of.

Thanks,

John

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one odd BST thread.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

How about posting a photo?