Home Sports Talk
Options

Report: Ellsbury to Mariners for Massive Money

Story

"TThe rumors are starting early this year. This morning, Ken Rosenthal was on Boston Sports radio (WEEI), and predicted that Jacoby Ellsbury would end up in Seattle for the steep price of $21 million/year, over 6 or 7 years. The Mariners have been linked to Ellsbury all season long, given their holes in the outfield, the loose Northwest connection between both parties, and a few failed splashes over the past several offseasons.

Ken Rosenthal doesn't stir the pot for fun. If he comes out and makes a prediction, you can bet he knows there's some legs behind it. Nobody knows what other offers are going to be on the table, but it seems pretty safe to assume that the Mariners like Jacoby Ellsbury a lot. Enough to offer him an extremely lucrative deal and outbid what will surely be a fair amount of suitors."

Comments

• Options
    Let Ellsbury walk for that amount. No way the Red Sox let Pedroia think Ellsbury is worth more to the team.

Give the full time right field job to Nava, and let Victorino play center.

If it's true, so long Jacoby, and thanks for your contributions.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll agree with Fitz.

With Ellsbury's home town in Oregon, that may be a factor in his decision. No doubt Boras will be pushing this thing to the hilt.

Way too much money for ANY ballplayer IMO. An example would be BJ. Upton who had a subpar year with the Atlanta Braves, but are on the hook to him for $60m, if memory serves.

Ellsbury's contributions to the Red Sox will not be soon forgotten. Like others who have come and gone before him, you don't like it, but you do understand why it happens. I wonder what kind of offer Cherrington will come up with before John Henry says no mas. Fortunately, as Fitz points out, we have some depth in the outfield positions so we should survive ok if Ellsbury is gone.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let Ellsbury walk for that amount. No way the Red Sox let Pedroia think Ellsbury is worth more to the team.

Give the full time right field job to Nava, and let Victorino play center.

If it's true, so long Jacoby, and thanks for your contributions. >>

Completely agree and well said
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jacoby who? image

They want to pay him Pujols money? Really? Pujols wasn't even worth Pujols money imo, and he was arguably the best player in baseball when he cut his deal with the Angels. Can anyone here make that claim with a straight face about Ellsbury?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Why are you comparing it to Pujols contract? Jacoby is younger and the deal isn't a ten year deal. Plus pujols power numbers were destined to decline. Ellsburys skillet will age much better than Albert's too.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    What's up with Ellsbury's 2011 numbers? 32 homers? Did he accidentally drink from Papi's water bottle or something?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Ellsburys skillet will age much better than Albert's too>>>

I've never heard that said about somebody whose game is predicated on speed.

Jacoby is a good player, maybe even great player on his best days. The problem is you are only getting him for about 140 games, if you are lucky. Take away 2011, and you have a guy that never hit more than 10 HRs in a season. I'd love the Sox to resign him....for maybe $13-15m per year over 5 years. Problem is, he's going to get $18-$20 for 6-7 years, and he's clearly not worth that, IMO.

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    He'll be a good buy over the first four years and overpaid through the last two or three, which unfortunately teams like the Mariners have to do to attract top tier free agents.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whomever gets him will overpay. Sox got plenty to fill in for a while. It was great having him in Boston.

Any sports writer speculation is just that.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He'll be a good buy over the first four years and overpaid through the last two or three, which unfortunately teams like the Mariners have to do to attract top tier free agents. >>

Not doubting your crystal ball, but I think I'll remain in the show-me camp. IMO he doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant $21 mil/yr.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ellsbury better enjoy the postseason -- it will be his last whiff of it for 7 years. But for that much stupid money, you can't blame him.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Don let the door hit you in the a$$ Jacoby. Good luck, we will miss ya but not $21 million a year worth.