Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

JMac's Rack Pack Thread : Show Off Your Packs

I have recently began collecting baseball rack packs. I know there are many unopened collectors here, so I wanted to share some. As I get more, I will add them. Please post pictures if you have a nice rack pack you would like to share.

The first is a nice 1980 Topps Rack Pack with Pops on the front:

Second, Here is a 1979 Topps Rack Pack with Nolan Ryan on the back:

Third, Here is a 1978 Topps Rack Pack with Mike Schmidt on the front and Carlton Fisk on the back:

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Nice start to a thread! I look forward to seeing more additions.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Very nice 80 Rack! That Stargell is very hard to find that well centered. I would open and submit. image

Justin
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not open that Stargell pack. The last PSA 9 sold on eBay for $16.99. If PSA feels generous at the time, the card would get a 9.
    Daniel
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    All of these are remaining unopened. The packs with HOF showing that are authentic are getting harder and harder to find.
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would not open that Stargell pack. The last PSA 9 sold on eBay for $16.99. If PSA feels generous at the time, the card would get a 9. >>

Yeah, it probably isn't, but when have I ever been known to keep racks sealed? image

The Stargell would not gain a 10 ever due to the registration, but darn if that isn't nicely centered.

Justin
  • Options

<< <i>

The Stargell would not gain a 10 ever due to the registration, but darn if that isn't nicely centered.

>>

Newbie question......what do you mean by "due to the registration"?
  • Options
    Registration relates to the overall quality of the photo itself: the clarity, graininess, etc.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Nice racks!! Love seeing the unopened, as I have no will power and no money to put that stuff away myself. The more eye candy I get through here the better.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, John! I love the packaging on rack packs!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the positive feedback. Here are a couple more that I have.

First, here is a case-fresh 1978 Topps Rack Pack that has Robin Yount on the front. This pack is super clean and pristine! The Yount card is very nicely centered.

Second, here is a 1977 Topps Rack Pack with Pops on the front. Stargell is nicely centered. Former Big Red Machine hurler Don Gullett is also on the front. While there are no stars on the back, I wanted to include a scan anyway.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off to a great start, J! Looking forward to future additions!
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '76 rack with Seaver back:

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys call those racks with stars on top? THIS is a rack with a star on top.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

In all seriousness, this one is actually pretty cool.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Pretty sweet to get Clark in all three spots.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In all seriousness, this one is actually pretty cool. >>

<< <i>I agree. Pretty sweet to get Clark in all three spots. >>

Thanks, guys. I like to post it and see if people notice. I mean, how interesting is a 1988 Donruss Rack? You do need to look a little bit to notice it's three-for-three. This came across one of my saved eBay searches and the time between the email and clicking the link was killing me, as I was certain someone else had hit the Buy-it-Now. Given how crazy Clark collectors are, I have no doubt the seller could have received three or four times his asking price. And that's just from me. This is one of the last items I would every consider selling, as I just don't think there's another out there...
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nice to see that POP's is represented. I love the 77 rack. Thanks for sharing
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    With 1 billion 88 donruss racks produced, it was bound to happen. Very cool pack ajw.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    Here is my latest addition: This is for all of you Big Red Machine fans!!

A 1977 Topps Baseball Rack Pack with Johnny Bench on top...

...and a Dale Murphy rookie showing on the back...

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Love the 77s

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Nice contributions guys!!

I love the 1951 Rack!
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    I was never very good at resisting the temptation of an unopened pack. if not for the advancement of my Steve Garvey collection, these would have been ripped long ago! I have also pretty much hit the wall when it comes to affording anything older than 1978. A 77T rack w/ garvey on top just sold on ebay a while back. That 77 card is probably my favorite Garvey card image and i really wanted that pack. I don't remember what it went for, but it was well out of my comfort level though.

my one-sided contribution to the cause...

[URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/My Collection/STEVE GARVEY STUFF/Garvrack78_zpsb4c8bafc.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/My Collection/STEVE GARVEY STUFF/Garvrack79-80_zps2cb6db21.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/My Collection/STEVE GARVEY STUFF/Garvcello_zpsd1aef7f4.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    I love the Garvey's!!!

Here is a recent pick-up from a reliable rack collector: a 1975 Topps baseball rack pack with "Mr. May:"

• Options
    I thought I would give this thread a bump with some of my rack pick-ups from the winter and spring. The first is a 1976 with ole' Handlebars himself showing on the front. The Al Oliver card is my favorite from that set:

Next is a pair of 1978 racks, one with Pete Rose showing on the back and one with the iconic Eddie Murray rookie showing on the back:

Then we have a trio of 1979 racks, each with multiple HOF's showing. The has Gary Carter and George Brett showing on the front:

The next one has Johnny Bench and "Mr. May" Dave Winfield showing on the front. While not scanned, this one also has Jim Palmer on the back:

The final 1979 rack that I am showing is my newest addition, as it just arrived today. It has the Wizard of Oz rookie card showing on the front, along with a LL card with "The Goose" and Fingers. This pack looks like it just came out of the case:

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is some very palatable rackage you have there, John! image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stellar assortment of vintage racks there, John! Your collection is an impressive one!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its been a long time since I used photobucket. Wanted to try posting a pic of a rack pack I just got. This thread is great, amazing rack packs.
    Nolan Cromwell is a small town Kansas legend for people old enough to remember him like me. Also two pretty good players with him on the front.