Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any Value for Old Beckett Guides?

I have a ton of old Beckett baseball price guys (back to the first year days). Is there any market for these whatsoever? I'd hate to just throw them out, but I get the feeling there's not much of a market for them, either.

Any thoughts and input would be greatly recommended.

Comments

• Options

Not really. Take em to a local auction house and let someone else enjoy them for what they have left to offer.
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I have a ton of old Beckett baseball price guys. Is there any market for these whatsoever? >>

WARNING: IT IS ILLEGAL TO SELL HUMAN BEINGS
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I don't think so either. As I travel and see them in different card shops, they go for next to nothing, but most are not in great condition. I put a bunch away, mostly the early basketball (Jordan & Robinson, Magic, etc) and football editions. I don't think anything from 87-94 has value in the collecting market. I think some of those with an autograph would look good framed.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭
    I collect the Beckett future stars & collectibes magazines.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember 20 some odd years ago, the 2nd issue with both Ripken & Clemente on the cover was going for over $50....I looked on eBay to see if any recently sold & while I couldn't find any, I doubt it would surpass $7-$8 nowadays.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    The first baseball becket sells pretty well. I would have thought that the the Jordan, Bo, and Gretzky beckett would sell well too but they are only worth a couple bucks... Prob because everyone that collected cards saved the beckets too as collectables. The base ball one is the only #1 issue I don't have.. Eventually ill get all 4 slabbed by bgs and think they will display pretty well
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭
    The guides (but not the guys) have value as kindling I would think.
  • Options
    I bought a small lot of old becketts off ebay a couple weeks back. I lived out of this magazine as a kid. They where a walk down memory lane and a huge reminder what kind of difference PSA and grading companies have had on the hobby! Whats funny to me is the picture's of cards they had on the cover EVERY one was off center! Mint prices on cards from the fifties are crazy! People think the hobby is dead just look at the crazy increase in card prices from baseball's golden age in the eighties then and now. PSA has completly changed the marketplace!
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm missing the Jan 1989 and I wouldn't mind getting at least the 1987 ones or earlier. PM me, 1985fan and we can discuss. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

This was the first issue I got. Difference with my original is mine was rolled up, I gave Pete an earring and I cut out the 'card' and put it in and empty pocket in one of my card sleeves.
  • Options
    What happened to the #1 football beckett with bo jackson on the cover? I remember that use to be "rare" back in the day. It sold for $50-75. It was much tougher than the Jordan or Gretzky #1 becketts. Or at least, that was the perception.

I remember when the #1 baseball beckett would sell for $150-175. I think collecting habits have changed. Sort of like how kenner starting lineups declined.

I use to live inside beckett too. With no internet and few if any cable channels (I don't remember cable being very widespread in 1990). Certainly fewer channels. I think only 40 or 60. You had very little media vs today. I would look at beckett for weeks or months. I remember the hot and cold lists. "Readers writes". That was the main communication forum for card collecting. It's amazing how digital everything has gotten.
  • Options
    Do you have any with Darryl Strawberry, Gregg Jefferies or Cecil Fielder on the front cover?
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Do you have any with Darryl Strawberry, Gregg Jefferies or Cecil Fielder on the front cover? >>

I'll check tonight when I get home, PM ok?
  • Options
    Sure, thanks.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you have any with Darryl Strawberry, Gregg Jefferies or Cecil Fielder on the front cover? >>

I think the Cecil Fielder one is a foldout picture. Only way to get him in the whole picture.image
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    So I guess there is a market for these magazines after all image

When I first got back into collecting about 2 years ago, one of the first things I did was go on ebay and I bought a HUGE lot of Beckets dating all the way back to 1985. I was also living out my childhood through those magazines and I happened to get a lot more that I never got to check out as a kid. Lets just say I had bathroom reading material for about a year lol. I also still have my first Beckett. Aug 1991 with Fred McGriff and Tony Gwynn on the cover. I remember my grandfather took me to the card shop on a Saturday when I was 11, I picked up a few packs of 1991 Topps and that Beckett. Then he took me to the racetrack where he would go often and clearly remember that I just sat in a chair for a couple of hours and read everything I could and just studied prices. I remember looking at the price of an 86 Canseco Donruss and thinking "man, I want that card but its just too expensive. I'll never own it." lmbo
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've always thought the becketts (at least the older ones) would make great autograph material. The older ones had much thicker cardstock than the flimsy stuff they went to later on, and those old becketts are indeed like travelling in a time machine.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    I could use several in the first 20 or so to complete a run of the first 200 or so. They have to be in good shape for me to add them though. I run into the rolled, folded, inked up copies now and again, but i saved mine as I do everything pretty much, with great care. I have not made much of an effort to complete it, mainly because I usually found singles that were overpriced or s/h alone, issue by issue, made it not worth the effort.

If you want to deal some, let me know how much you want for them and I will try to dig up the wantlist I had.
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I'll take issue #1 baseball Beckett off anyone's hands if they want to get rid of it. Pm me if anyone has one
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here