Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Graded vs. Ungraded

I have decided to start a collection on an individual player. I collect a few things now: unopened boxes and packs for one and I am trying to complete a registry set for 61 Fleer Basketball. I also collect graded individual cards typically of my favorite players. I am not particularly investing in cards but at the same time I do not have much interest in taking a bath in the hobby either as I do have a family that requires attention and money as well.

I know I may hear the popular refrain of collect what you like. And I appreciate that. And that is what I have been doing and intend to do with my new player collection. That said, I want to hear some opinions on whether you personally like graded vs. ungraded for your personal collections and why. I am hoping to hear some good reasons why I should go one way or another to help me decide what to do with my new player collection. By the way the player I am starting my collection on (or rather picking back up from my child hood collection) is Will Clark. Thanks,

Steve
Steve

Comments

• Will Clark will be much cheaper to collect raw. He seems to have a very large following, and it drives up his PSA 10s

if i were to collect a new player from scratch, i would only buy graded. i have no faith in raw cards, especially on the internet.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer raw for my player collections, if for nothing else, storage space. It's easy to get them graded later if I want to play the registry game, but I don't have to battle the deep pockets in most cases.

That said, I usually do target the rookie cards and a few other favorites in PSA 10 for modern player collections.

If I recall correctly, there are some aggressive Will Clark collectors on the registry, so be prepared to shell out some big bucks for rare 10s.
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I'm still undecided on the same topic, so none of this may be helpful. And much may depend on who you go after, what era, what condition, and budget.

However, under a certain $ point I'm willing to roll the dice with buying raw. Over a certain $ point, I just feel much better buying graded. And between the two $ points, if a graded card is within 20% of the raw, I'll likely go the graded route. Though I've yet to crack out anything, that always remains an option should I decide on the raw route. I should note that much of what I collect is 52-90 HOFers and Dodgers. RCs when affordable, or my favorite examples of certain players in the best condition I can afford.

Personally, I'm leaning towards raw, because I'm not in it for profits, I do have space concerns, and I like to handle my cards on occasion like I did as a kid. And though holdered cards are sweet in their own right, you just can't touch 'em. That's likely why I tend to buy in the -NM range for pre-70's raw, so an accident isn't too costly.

That being said, I have decided that for me, anything over $200 or PSA10 worthy, should be holdered, as well as key RCs. I can always add a lesser raw card as a place holder.

For instance, I collect Steve Garvey. None are currently graded. I'm only missing a mini and a couple random 80's. I'm leaning towards subbing my 71 and 72, and then buying a lesser raw example of each, or buying a higher quality graded example. But I can't see myself grading all of his cards, especially once you hit the 80's and start getting multiple manufacturers. No interest in seeing an 87D Garvey in a holder.

As for Don Drysdale, I've still got work to do, and as of now I only intend on having his RC holdered, but I can see myself at some point potentially having them all holdered since we're only talking about 20ish cards, and a 69 Drysdale looks just fine in a holder.

So I think if regardless of player, you're going the "only high-quality" examples route, it's best to protect the grade and value in a holder, and same if you have significant investment in the card or have intentions of selling.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck with your decision.

EDIT: Just saw Will Clark. I'd go raw and holder one each of 86-87, and any rarities, and pick up a raw placeholder of each when possible.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I am not particularly investing in cards but at the same time I do not have much interest in taking a bath in the hobby either as I do have a family that requires attention and money as well."

That says it ALL, buy graded cards. The only exception I would make would be very inexpensive cards that might not be "worth" sending in for grading.

Nothing wrong with buying raw, but your odds of getting a altered card are much less and resale is much easier if you ever decide to go that route.

joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Topps player set, graded

Player master set, raw

Scoreboard Malfunction
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    For Will Clark, I would go graded. Most of his stuff is very affordable and if you can't afford the 10, drop down to a 9 or an 8, whatever you feel comfortable with. There's nothing wrong with having a collection of mixed grades. I just checked Four Sharp Corners as an example. His 1986 Fleer Update sells for $140 in a 10 holder, but $12 for a 9. Similar deal with his '86 D card, $27 for a 10, only $8 for his 9. If your budget can't take the $50 hit, settle for less and upgrade as you want. I have a nice collection of Willie McCovey cards. They display nice, even if only a 7. Go graded to protect your collection. Your kids can handle them and they won't suffer much if dropped. They frame real nice in their holders too.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Ive enjoyed doing a few graded sets, but the majority of my collection will always remain Raw, the way they were meant to be.

I became very disillusioned with the "Professional Grading" as i realized it was more about money, profit and labels than it was about the actual cards themselves.

TPGing has created some big myths that many "collectors" have bought into.

#1 The "Gem Mint 10" People chase this grade for the money and or the label for registry sets, Not for the actual card itself. All 10's are really just Mint 9's
    on any given day. Its funny how the "Gem Mint 10" obessor's down play 9's and in some cases even 8's, only to turn around and give stupid money for the exact
    same card after it has be "re-sub" a few times an eventually ends up in a "Gem Mint 10 Holder"

#2 "Professionally" Graded cards ensure you authentic and unaltered cards? Possibly in many cases. If a million dollar Trimmed Hornus Wagner can slip through the cracks,
    How much attention do you think some Modern Day Wil Clark cards demand? Food for thought.

#3 And maybe the biggest Myth, is that Raw cards somehow can't be High grade Mint cards in comparison to graded cards. I maintain Mint Raw sets that rival anything in a set registry.

My vote is Raw for your new collection.

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I decided to go with graded. I do think it would be cheaper to have it raw but I have drifted towards graded with my most of my other collections so I decided to stay that way. I do think one advantage that someone brought up is that graded cards do offer a little more protection for when my son grows up a little more and wants to handle some of my collection. I actually just made the decision today and bought a bunch of stuff from 4SC (took advantage of their 15% off sale) with $100 of my PP balance from sales of a couple cards I had on eBay. There is nothing earth shattering that I got (I mainly got most of the cheapest cards they had for sale) some were cards I thought looked cool, some were oddball stuff that I didn't get when I was growing up. I am not in a hurry to complete this project, I will take my time and look to pick up cards when I have extra funds. I will post scans when my first batch of cards get here.

Steve
    Steve
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>Ive enjoyed doing a few graded sets, but the majority of my collection will always remain Raw, the way they were meant to be.

I became very disillusioned with the "Professional Grading" as i realized it was more about money, profit and labels than it was about the actual cards themselves.

TPGing has created some big myths that many "collectors" have bought into.

#1 The "Gem Mint 10" People chase this grade for the money and or the label for registry sets, Not for the actual card itself. All 10's are really just Mint 9's
    on any given day. Its funny how the "Gem Mint 10" obessor's down play 9's and in some cases even 8's, only to turn around and give stupid money for the exact
    same card after it has be "re-sub" a few times an eventually ends up in a "Gem Mint 10 Holder"

#2 "Professionally" Graded cards ensure you authentic and unaltered cards? Possibly in many cases. If a million dollar Trimmed Hornus Wagner can slip through the cracks,
    How much attention do you think some Modern Day Wil Clark cards demand? Food for thought.

#3 And maybe the biggest Myth, is that Raw cards somehow can't be High grade Mint cards in comparison to graded cards. I maintain Mint Raw sets that rival anything in a set registry.

My vote is Raw for your new collection. >>

I totally agree, especially for modern cards. A PSA 10 can be a PSA 9 on a diff. day, depends on the grader.
    Why pay the premium for a 10 for a nickel's worth of plastic?

For vintage or more expensive cards, I can see going graded.
    So, I decided to go with graded because I like the way the cards look in holders and I also liked the idea another poster had mentioned about graded holders making it easier to let their kids handle the cards. I am not in any registry competition (so I don't care about low pops, etc.). I just want my own collection of some cool cards of the guy I admired growing up and the last player I was and probably will ever be a fanatic about. The 22 in my user name is not a coincidence. Here are some scans of some pick ups I made from 4SC during their last sale last week. I will only buy cards of him in a Giants uniform. Thanks for looking. Feel free to share any thoughts.

Steve

[URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/Image13_zps8bd8b7c2.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/Image14_zps0173a10b.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/Image15_zps861bcb88.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/Image16_zps1c16e88c.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    Steve
  • I would question the "Protection" those PSA Rattle Trap slabs offer.
    The movement of the card bouncing around inside the slab against those rails
    has been well documented as to the damage it can cause to the 8-points of contact
    on the edges by the corners. A pretty poor design for card protection.

It appears the 92 Topps Micro Wil Clark card in your scan is already suffering corner stress
    from its movement in the slab, and your kids haven't even touched it yet.

Go ahead and let them shake that card around a bit more and it will be an 8 trapped in a 10 slab in no time.

I always liked Wil Clark as a Player. He was tough as nails and a down to earth guy. Nice looking collection.

I sure I got a boxfull Wil Clark cards around here somewhere.

Keep up the good work!
    J

• Since I got back in the hobby, my goals for my personal collection have evolved. Up until a few weeks ago, I was going to limit my collection to certain subsets of the base sets (Red Sox, AL/NL champions, Bruins, Stanley Cup Finals, etc.). But a funny thing happened - about a month ago I saw my local Target selling OPC hockey. Since OPC is my set of choice for modern hockey, I started buying and ripping. And I instantly became the 12 year old kid who enjoyed buying and ripping and trying to get the whole set.

So my personal collection has changed - ALL cards for all years for a base set for both hockey and baseball. I will buy mostly raw (for the economics of it), but some vintage HOF players (i.e. any mantle, 1966 Bobby Orr) I will go graded. I will probably slab my Red Sox and Bruins cards, as well as the HOF players not already slabbed, as I like the look and I plan on displaying them in my home office, rotating the cards/years.

What I have found is - there is no wrong answer as to PC.

BTW - nice Clark collection. I remember when he came on the scene - he was the next big thing. Great player. Good luck finishing it.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
    Here's an update on my Will Clark collection. I am in no hurry and I am not in it to compete for registry rankings, so I have the luxury of just waiting around for getting good prices on his cards. I am only going for cards of him in a Giants uniform. Along with the graded cards I have also started picking up non-graded auto cards of his as well. As of now I don't believe I have spent more than $15 on any of the cards (except maybe one or two of his autos and even those were less than $25 after shipping). Anyway, here's some new scans:

[URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/Image23_zpse662292a.jpg.html]image[/URL]

I love the oddball sets from the 80's like the Donruss Highlights and the Baseball's Best from Fleer. Definitely takes me back looking at these cards. BTW, interesting trivia, does anyone know who Will Clark homered off of in his first at bat (the subject of the highlights card)? I believe it was actually his first swing in his first AB. I remember being 10 years old and reading this in the paper and thinking it was so cool that he did this off of the player he did it against. He became my favorite player that day and it turned out to be a good choice for a kid growing up in SF in the late 80's.
    Steve
  • tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you are having fun and that is a key aspect of collecting. Keep rolling image
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got some nice Clark's. I also like the idea of narrowing the collection(only in Giants uniform). One of my guys I collect is Don Mattingly, I only collect his 84-93 stuff as my attempt to narrow things down for 1. Budget purposes and 2. Things were never the same baseball wise for me 1994-. image
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I used to have several sets complete on the registry but sold them all as I lost interest in collecting after 50 years .After several months I realized how much I really missed the hobby and am back into it as good as ever strictly raw sets except for a few prominent players from each set.
    Its nice when you can just sit back and go through a binder and enjoy the cards and memorys .Cards have never made me rich nor will they ever.I have that gut feeling that most cards graded from years past 1980 are going to be in large supply with dropping values,just my opinion.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Nice cards!

I used to collect graded Clarks, but ended up selling out and going raw. I did keep one graded Clark card though, a self submitted PSA 10 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    tigerdean--Yes having lots of fun. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

hyperchipper09--Thanks. I agree with you about post 94 baseball. If you were a Mattingly fan then I can see why the strike would have soured you a little.
    Steve
    fiveniner--I can't disagree with you about 80's cards coming out of the graded woodworks. That's why I'm not particularly investing in this collection (or any for that matter). This is just for enjoyment.

Digicat--You picked a good one to hold on to.

Here is my modest auto collection so far:

[URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/WillClarkAutos_zps5c4809f6.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    Steve