Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Plastic Saver NGC Slab

s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
With the rising cost of plastic and the falling price of gold
it was bound to happen.

Coin sold yesterday on eBay for $400, no explanation on the unusual holder.

...............image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a raw coin that someone cracked out of an NGC slab and he saved the label.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image So is this a case of buy the coin and not the plastic?image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Environmentally sensitive image
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Goofy thing to do. Still it would likely be a good coin for a nice Capital Plastics holder, assuming the label is a match to the coin, which it seems as though it is. $400 sounds like a good deal.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a raw coin that someone cracked out of an NGC slab and he saved the label. >>

Without seeing the reverse, I find this believable. The details look about right for a 55.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do we know the coin in the 2x2 was really the coin in the slab holder?

Who is stupider - the incompetent dealer displaying a coin in this fashion or the person who bought it? It looks like someone's first grade project.

I would speculate the original coin in the holder may have been resubmitted and the coin in the 2x2 is probably a cleaned jewelry piece or BBD coin. Looks like the seller had a better idea of how to get rid of his excess inserts. I bet if the buyer submits the coin it comes back details - cleaned.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good question, but lots of times they are legit. I had re-purchased a type set from a customer a few months ago, several he bought from me in holders and cracked them to put in his set years ago. kept the labels in the back of the book. Being a prior customer, I felt obligated to pay him a little better than a typical walk in, in fact really tight on some, so tight if I would have had to re-holder I would have lost out on any profit. So I listed them just like this guy,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file