Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Throwing in the towel on my 1991-1993 Wild Card stripe collection

Good morning all,

I have recently come to the conclusion that this set is just way to difficult and expensive to complete. Some random thoughts for anybody who is contemplating this set.

1) Be prepared to wait, wait, and wait some more for a lot of the cards to even show up for sale. The 1992 Field Force, Stat Smasher, Red Hot Rookie, and Running Wild subsets are EXTREMELY difficult to find the stripes. I have no way to confirm this, but I would guess the print run on some of these 1000 stripe cards to be in the single digits.
I have now opened a couple of cases of 1992 Wild card, and I have NOT pulled any of these cards with a stripe on them. I am starting to believe that the only way you could get these was to mail them in to WC and get the stripe parallels.

2) When you do see one of these cards come available....be prepared to open your pocket book. A lot of these cards (Filed Force stripes, etc.) are desperately sought after for player personal collections, and there is usually a bidding war once then turn up.

3) IF you are going to try and put this together, the best way to start is to buy a partial collection from somebody who is throwing in the towel (like myself). Trying to start from scratch, and piecing this together from nothing will discourage you very quickly. If you start buying them individually, you will have 10,000.00 or more in it before you can blink an eye.

All of that being said, I really think this set would be a one of a kind if somebody had the time/patience, and money to finish the job. I would venture to say that NOBODY has completed this set, with every stripe card from 1991-1993.

Here is a link to my collection, I gathered up over 4300 different stripes, with a nice group of the subsets, and the Favre 5/10/20/50/100 stripe rookies......but its to rich for my blood to continue.

Wild Card Collection

Comments

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    LOL! I feel as if I just watched an infomercial but with a really bad salesman. No offense intended.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>LOL! I feel as if I just watched an infomercial but with a really bad salesman. No offense intended. >>

Wow, thanks! I would hate to see what you would say if you did intend offense.....
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Cool set. Not in my budget at the moment but there are definitely some cards in there I want/need.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    My only point is that you make several great points as to why someone should NOT collect this set then the link lead me to your listing on ebay.
    I didn't expect your post to be a sales pitch is all.

Edit to add: After looking more closely at your ebay listing I can see that you are very passionate about this set. I think that is what collecting is all about.
    I wish you the best with it which ever way you decide to go.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>My only point is that you make several great points as to why someone should NOT collect this set then the link lead me to your listing on ebay.
    I didn't expect your post to be a sales pitch is all.

Edit to add: After looking more closely at your ebay listing I can see that you are very passionate about this set. I think that is what collecting is all about.
    I wish you the best with it which ever way you decide to go. >>

I understand where you are coming from, but this was not meant to be a sales pitch in any way. More of a "I tried and its too difficult, so here is where it ended up" post. If I were trying to "sell" these in this post...I surely wouldnt mention how difficult, and expensive the set is to complete.

I had some members asking me to post pics a while back....really didnt feel like uploading all of the pics from photobucket to here....just linked to my ebay listing where nearly everything of high dollar is pictured.

As far as it being difficult, and recommending one to buy as many as possible in a lot to start...this is very true.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    thats a lot of collecting there, good luck with the sale.

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a great collection, sorry to hear you're selling it! Have you ever considered breaking it up? I feel like you're maybe leaving money on the table by selling it like this.
  • Options
    Thanks for the positive words guys! I have thought about breaking it up, but I just dont have the time.
    I am probably leaving a lot on the table (my wallet still hurts), but hopefully somebody can start with where I left off and finish it off.

I really hope a collector buys it rather someone who will piece it out, but either way its too rich for my blood.

• Options
    I received an UNBELIEVABLE offer on the Houston Oiler cards from my lot, so I sold them off.

Is there any interest in individual players, or sets? I have got a few PM's asking if I would sell off certain items, but not enough to justify breaking the collection up.

If any of you need anything for your PC, shoot me a PM. Not saying I am going to break it up, but if there is enough interest......
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Well you know what Homer Simpson says...."Trying is the first step towards failure."

But in all seriousness, 4300 cards, can't be mad at that. Well done!