Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just got home from a Craigslist buy...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Wow, in all the years I have been posting here, take in consideration I did spend about 3 years away, this post has received more comments than any other topic I have posted.

Not sure what that says, but I do find these hypothetical scenarios amusing.

Let me just say, I am a capitalist, like many of you here. You collect and you try to make some money on the side. The money I make goes back into the hobby. So someday the dollar bill in my wallet might be in yours....unless you've been criticizing me in this post... image

I will say this...this hobby is full of cheats, thieves, and crooks...but so is every hobby and every industry out there. I hate it when I see someone searching packs in retail stores. I hate seeing shill bidding on ebay. I hate it when people get taken advantage of. I've had that happen to be before when I first got back into collecting. But what happened yesterday was not taking advantage of someone.

We can sit here and play "what if" all we want...but while you're doing that, I'm outbidding you on Ebay.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guru, 75% of this forum is made up of these types of threads where an inocent post turns into a brawl.

I think it says more about the state of the hobby more than anything else, you are 100% correct that its full of cheats and thieves all based on what a large percent of cards is based on and that is money and greed. There are alot of top notch collectors here who genuienly love the collecting aspect of the hobby and have great intentions but every year it seems to get smaller and smaller of those types of people, other people like myself dont even collect anymore but enjoy the threads, I tend to be 50/50 on what I enjoy the most here and thats nice card pics and stories and the battles.
  • Options
    *Just because...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>The fact is that you just cant tell any good stories here without someone being a jerk and ruining a good story. >>

+1 >>

+2 >>

So the consensus here is that it doesn't matter what the collection is worth or that the seller does not know what they have. As long as you pay the seller what they are asking you are not taking advantage of them. >>

No one got taken advantage of. He named his price and got paid. It's his merchandise so it's up to him to do his homework. Not up to the buyer to educate people about "their stuff"
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's his merchandise so it's up to him to do his homework. Not up to the buyer to educate people about "their stuff" >>

This should be the only response ever needed when this topic comes up every couple of months.
  • Options

<< <i>This situation is really funny. If the OP had said he paid $500 then he would be getting ripped for paying to much.

If someone comes to you asking to help them sell their collection and is asking for your advice it is entirely different then responding to a Craigslist add.

All parties left happy. End of story. >>

$500 would be a fair market value of the 12 boxes of Topps Series 1. They are selling around $50 a box.

In regards to the ethics of one paying $50 for a 52 Mantle, I think the principles are similar. If the guy states he wants $50 for a 52 Mantle, then obviously he would be satisfied with that. If you want to make sure that is the correct price, then you can ask, are you sure or $50 is correct? If you start suggesting market value, people get greedy. I have seen Rick on Pawn Stars get things brought to the store and they say they are looking for $100 bucks and he turns around and says its a $10,000 item, they seller suddenly wants $12,000. At least on that show I have seen that happen very often and I am sure in a situation like this, the same would be the case. Pay cash, leave no address or number - and RUN! lol