Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions on crossover potential

Hey everyone, just wanted to get some opinions on the chances that this card is authentic and what grade it may get through PSA. I know it's hard to tell with just this scan but I don't own this card yet I am just debating an offer on it. I know GAI doesn't have a great reputation but if the card is legitimate and unaltered and could garner even a PSA 6 I think it is worth the purchase for the offer that I have on it. Obviously a PSA 7 would be a no brainer than for me. The more opinions the better, so please post yours. Thanks,

Steve

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1961-Fleer-GAI-7-or-PSA-6-3-Elgin-Baylor-Rookie-Los-Angeles-Lakers-Card-NBA-NM-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/mCYAAMXQfj9SNNQa/$T2eC16d,!yMFIcDE(zovBSNNQZoyrg~~60_12.JPG

[URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/ElginBaylorGAI7Back_zpsafbc31bf.jpg.html]image[/URL]
Steve

Comments

• Options

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Not familiar with 61 BSK, but is it supposed to have the stripe above the blue on the back side??
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes that is normal for centering with this issue. I have about 38 of these already slabbed in PSA and I think that is actually a sign of good vertical centering if that stripe is there. Someone can correct me if I am wrong about that.
    Steve
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Stripe is normal.
    Card looks unaltered which would be the most odvious possibility with gai.

Centering is a big time issue with 61 fleer.

Card wouldn't get a 7 but maybe a 6 on a good day.

You are in possible negative qualifier oc territory on ths card.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    I find GAI card grading a little lax. I agree with jay...probably a 6... but thats also just going by a pic

NOTE: yes, the l to r is a bit off, might not get a qualifier but may drop the grade down 2 grades
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Psa 6
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your opinions. I ended up buying the card with a Best Offer on eBay. The seller does offer returns so if it doesn't look like it could get at least a 6 then I may end up returning. If it looks good I will end up cracking it from the case and get a better look then. I am not too worried about the centering. I am not looking for an 8 or 9, just a 6 or 7. Granted the card is being held at a slight tilt that minimizes the R/L centering but I have seen cards with worse centering get 7's NQ. I think it has a good shot of not getting a qualifier. I will post scans of the cracked card before I sub and post results when I get them. Thanks everyone for your contributions so far. If anyone has any opinions please chime in too.

Steve
    Steve
  • Options
    Slum

I think six as well get youself a 10x Konus loop and you can tell

likely 6

Good Luck

Barry