Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ok guys, please take a poll..what's ur opinion? This Rookies 1st submission!!!!

I'm a rookie and bought a couple packs on line from a small collector that "found them in his closet. " I know. I know. But imagine my surprise when I opened the first pack. This beautiful Ryan looking at me. So I ended up buying I think the 15ish he had left. And got a Carter, Aaron, rice and Stargell. I posted this Ryan and others. Board members have been very gracious with their time and knowledge, maddox69, dennis07etc. So I finally figured out how to post a pic. In previous threads I got very knowledgable opinions that it would grade between a 6,7's,8's and a 9. Interesting such a wide range.

So I'm gonna make my first submission and post the result.

So just for fun and a little game. Test your eyesight and experience and post what grade u think this will get. It's a 75 mini-topps Ryan. Scanned pretty well once I learned to keep cover open. The color is a little darker, more vibrant than what shows. Smooth surface, no fisheyes. Otherwise, it is what it is.
Thx again guys.

Comments

• Oops. Just saw you did scan with the cover up. Why is the background so bright if the cover was up??
  • I'm pretty sure that is with the cover up. The background should be black? I can try again.
    Ok, just scanned twice, once with more resolution. Both with cover up and each has that white background. Can be viewed in my photo bucket. Normal lighting in the room. Off white ceiling. I'm trying guys.

• << <i>I'm pretty sure that is the o e with the cover up. The background should be black? I can try again. >>

It should be darker if the cover was up. Or if you want the lid down then tape a piece of black paper on the underside of the cover.
  • How many more threads are you going to make about your 75 minis?
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    PSA 7.5
  • "sportscardstop"... Prob 4more threads. Geese give me a break. Just trying to learn and play by your rules. And make it fun. This last one is to see how good y'all are in grading vs psa's grade. I can see why ur tired of my 75 thread but if u want, when u see my name then don't read my post. Thanks for the constructive criticism. image

Plus my steelers are 0-4, not since 1968. So looking forma diversion.
    Thx stingray. That's all I asked.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Psa 8
  • Other PSA opinions from the other thread(s)

Stingray..6
    Nikklos...7-8
    Dylch2220...8-9 centering?
    grote15....7.5
    Mintmoondog...PSA 7

Thx theminiduff and maddux69 for advice
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Never saw a scan come out that way with the cover open. Were the lights out? It's just so much easier to give you an opinion with a dark background.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Other PSA opinions from the other thread(s)

Dylch2220...8-9 centering? >>

I just want to make it clear that I was saying the centering was not really a concern and that if you considered the centering alone it is in PSA 9, probably PSA 10 territory. Let's say the card was perfect in every other way and made a 10 holder, keep in mind that discerning collectors might not buy the card. Even though PSA says it's a 10, other people have personal standards for a 10 they will buy. In case you haven't heard of this referenced yet, people will call it something like "buying the card vs. buying the holder". The card would sell in a 10 no matter what as I understand there hasn't been one, but wouldn't make as much as it could with better centering.

Now getting to your question. It's hard to tell without a better scan. Also, since I've never graded any cards from this era, I have no idea how harshly they are graded. But based on the chipping I see, going to say PSA 7.

Good luck with your sub, be sure to share the result with us.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Never saw a scan come out that way with the cover open. Were the lights out? It's just so much easier to give you an opinion with a dark background. >>

Same here. If opening the lid doesn't work, try placing a black/dark sheet of construction paper on top.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    More likely than not an 8.
  • Hmm.I rescanned twice and put them in photo bucket also. All with cover open, mod lightS on in the room, about 9 feet below a egg shell white ceiling.

Again, u guys have been great except the one guy who had nothing worthwhile to say. U have convinced me to def submit and share. One member said I should submit the Rice so for $15 why not.

The biggest thing I got out of this is that there are honest small time sellers out there who don't reseal and sold me the packs for $37ish. This was after being disheartened with the hobby in multiple ways after being gone for 15-20 yrs. Being lied to, cheated and practically stolen from. And thx to cincyredlegs and bbce.