Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Online bidding - problems?

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced problems with online bidding? I do not have a lot of experience with live online bidding.

In the recent Spink auction, I placed a bid on an item using their live online bidding feature. The site acknowledged it and told me I was the leading bidder.
However, soon after, the site declared the lot a "pass" and now it's listed as unsold.
True, the bid was below their estimate, but it was their choice - they decided what price to begin bidding. Would they have ignored my bid because the auction didn't reach the estimate?

It's not a rare item - a William and Mary halfcrown apparently with minor edge damage (lot 662) but the opening bid seemed reasonable given the prices these seem to have warranted recently. So I'm not too worried about losing this lot, just wary of live bidding now.

Asp

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Online bidding on Spink has been flaky for me - I usually just have my agent in London there put my bid in for me.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Yes, generally if your max bid doesn't meet reserve it shows as a pass. And most of the UK auction firms don't show that, unlike Heritage for example that may show your bid but also shows reserve not met. Really I think we've all been spoiled by Heritage, their system is a decade ahead of everyone else as far as technology goes.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is that the same with Goldbergs? I had a few bids in and after sale they ALL show up as unsold!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it is the same, Goldberg doesn't show if deserve is met either.
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers.
    That makes me feel better about online bidding - I guess it was just a normal function of the auction.

I tried a couple advance bids too - I had high hopes for a better quality Edward the Black Prince, but was outbid.
    I wasn't really sure where the current market would bring the W&M coins, so I waited for the live bidding. I can really see how 'auction fever' can get you bidding higher... they move at lightning speed!