Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

'81 Topps Baseball: A Rose is a Rose is a Rose is a.......

well, maybe. in deference to Shane and his ambitious desire to be King of The 80's (wink, nudge), i've been digging through boxes, and mean A LOT of 'em, to extract cards which look appetizing and might stand a chance at stardom in the grading room......so this little treasure surfaced yesterday whilst a boxload of early 80's stuff was being prospected and it didn't really cause much of a stir until.......i discovered how much a GEM MINT 10 sells for these days.

hence the shock-face smiley. image

i don't hold out much hope for this Petey, thinking the lower left corner is going to doom it to no better than 9, plus a few other minor "oh well's", but dang it shore dun look good enough, eh? the back has rippling along the borders, and i've never received a gem with such a feature....anyways, here's the card and a couple more nice 81's, Moli & Dewey, just for comparison.....all 3 will be on their way to Newport Beach tomorrow along with some other nice 80's.

enjoy. image

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the sub Jeff.

Chipping along the bottom, which seems standard for 1981s, was always a grading death sentence for me.
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    the rose is a very nice card....bottom left corner will make it an 8....bummer
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    yup. i looked at several hundred of this issue, and there were precious few which even demanded a second look. i like the challenge, though. image
  • Options
    Of the three, it looks to me like the only one that has a shot is the Dewey. I don't see anything that rules it out as a PSA 10 candidate, at least.
    I don't think the Rose even gets to a 9, for the same reason you mentioned. I say it's a nice looking 8 or 8.5.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    The centering looks superb. I just popped a couple of 9s and your centering is nicer.

81s are definitely a challenge. Good luck with the sub.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    thanks guys, i agree also that the Dewey has the best chance. in the meantime, now plotting and scheming how to find more of an issue i once considered to be not even worth my most idle moments. image
  • Options

<< <i>thanks guys, i agree also that the Dewey has the best chance. in the meantime, now plotting and scheming how to find more of an issue i once considered to be not even worth my most idle moments. image >>

I am going through something similar right now. I haven't bothered with anything made after 1978 for years..... and starting a month or two ago, for absolutely no reason at all, I am becoming a bona fide 1985 baseball freak. All issues.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    sigh. it does get a grip on you, doesn't it? after the elation wore off yesterday, i dug through a box of '81 Donruss and Fleer, which helped with the letdown. image
  • Options
    Such great hair they all have
  • Options

<< <i>Such great hair they all have >>

OMG, that's hilarious. exactly what went through my mind during the picking and plucking.....this Eck card caught my eye.

is this man gorgeous or what? imageimage

i once had hair like that, right around that same time period.....for my 21st B-Day in 1982 i went and got my head shaved shiny clean.
  • Options
    Very nice 81's. I remember opening many of those packs back in the day.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice 81's. I remember opening many of those packs back in the day. >>

That was close to the last year that I really bought packs for a while. Collecting baseball cards was not cool in high school.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I think there's hope. Yours is at least as nice as the one Probstein sold in July, so you never know...
  • Options

<< <i>I think there's hope. Yours is at least as nice as the one Probstein sold in July, so you never know... >>

you. nailed. it. image

i looked at that one, too. no need to elaborate. we both know what the discussion would entail.

and you know darn well mine might get a second chance if the first result isn't quite what was expected. image