Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is this a bad scan or some how on the card???

Kareem PSA 10

I have been emailing back and forth with the co author of a book a recently purchased and he mentioned he had collected cards in the past and referenced the 1986 Fleer Basketball set.

Just for the heck of it I did a quick search on EBAY for completed sales to see recent selling prices.

I came across this card and I am not sure what to think.

Hopefully this is a bad scan because if this is an issue with the card it is a horrible PSA 10. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    At least it is dead centered...

I think you are seeing the case, but in my wildest dreams i dont see a 10 on a 5k card that looks like that.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Looks like sticker residue on the case but the atrocious rough cut on the left side should have kept it from being a 9 let alone a 10.
  • I think the card is fine. Perhaps one of Probstein's employees was eating fried chicken while scanning. The PSA holder looks filthy.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like sticker residue on the case but the atrocious rough cut on the left side should have kept it from being a 9 let alone a 10. >>

I am by no means an expert on 86 Fleer. I have not seen many scans of cards with rough cuts. Is this normal for this issue?
  • I would not have even subbed that card with it's OPC cut and L/R centering. Not sure I have ever seen a slabbed 86 sticker with a rough cut like that.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I need to go back to 86 Fleer Basketball grading school if that's a 10. image

<< <i>I would not have even subbed that card with it's OPC cut and L/R centering. Not sure I have ever seen a slabbed 86 sticker with a rough cut like that. >>

Kareem 9

This one seems to have a little rough cut but doesn't look as severe.

<< <i>I think the card is fine. Perhaps one of Probstein's employees was eating fried chicken while scanning. The PSA holder looks filthy. >>

Thanks Maurice. I can't believe that a top of the line card like this would be presented in this manner.

• << <i>

<< <i>I would not have even subbed that card with it's OPC cut and L/R centering. Not sure I have ever seen a slabbed 86 sticker with a rough cut like that. >>

Kareem 9

This one seems to have a little rough cut but doesn't look as severe. >>

Better cut and better centering than the 10

• << <i>I can't believe that a top of the line card like this would be presented in this manner. >>

Agreed. Check out this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380693633850?orig_cvip=true

The only justification I can see for that card is that anyone buying it is hoping to get it out of that holder.

That is a strong price it would seem for a 1. I can't imagine what a high grade example goes for.
  • This is the feedback probstein received.

OMG. WOW.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    thats a pretty speceial Magee, good lord.
  • Umm... What did the buyer think he was getting for 4K? That is the worse condition card and holder I've seen in auction.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just two more examples of why I tell people to sell the cards themselves.

While Rick offers a good value, you are losing the control of how your card appears and a description can be nice as well.

That Jabbar card might have sold for more if the case was cleaned and the card "tapped" over to the right a little bit.

If the Magee card's holder was reglued, that certainly should have been disclosed in the item description.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Umm... What did the buyer think he was getting for 4K? That is the worse condition card and holder I've seen in auction. >>

This is one of the rarest cards of all time, a PSA3 sold for almost $17,000.00.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the card is fine. Perhaps one of Probstein's employees was eating fried chicken while scanning. The PSA holder looks filthy. >>

Hopefully Rick's new hire had nothing to do with this! Man, I would not be happy if this was my consignment and I saw that image appear. I think the card is fine other than the left edge.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Question????

Why would Rick even take on that Magie card? I would tell the consignor that the card has to be reholdered. I'm puzzled by some of these things. And the scan on the Kareem card.....OMG.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    GAI 0.5 Piss Poor should be the grad on that card!!