Options

Rearing Horse of Hannover

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very neat design. Well done for a modern era medal.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yes the detail on that street scene is fantastic. It looks like the horse's rear left hoof is standing on a rock? I wonder what significance that has, if any? why not have both rear feet on the ground?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know if there is any purposeful symbolism, but I did find out the following, from Wikipedia.

The horse on the medal clearly is modeled after -

Bronze statue of the "Sachsenross" ("Saxon Horse"), created by sculptor Albert Wolff in 1865, now standing in front of the "Welfenschloss" Palace, home of the Hannover University.

DPOTD
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great design! The rearing saxon steed has been around for centuries. The oldest coin I have with the use is from 1690 (see below), but I know it goes well before that. Great medal!

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    Hard to believe that 2/3 taler only is AU!

DPOTD
  • Options
    So, no theories on why the rear left hoof is standing on a rock? are there many rocks in Saxony? image

Perhaps it is not a rock, but a very small house of the enemy village next door.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I think the rock simply is a sculptural device meant to stabilize the sculpture without distracting from the piece. You see the same sort of things with figures of humans who, let's say, are leaning against tree trunks.

DPOTD
  • Options

<< <i> leaning against tree trunks. >>

image I totally agree with you I just found this funny for some reason image maybe I'm just in a happy mood
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE