Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How about some early to mid 80's Topps perfection (or close to it)

I recently bought a few items from BBCE. I bought one vending box each year from 1982, 1984, and 1985 Topps. Also, I got one 1982 Topps rack, one 1984 Topps rack, one 1985 Topps rack, and thirteen 1986 Topps racks.

The 1982 vending box had a bunch of damaged corners and no Ripkens.

The 1984 vending box was fairly nice with one Mattingly with razor corners, but slightly o/c.

The 1985 vending box was gorgeous, but it didn't have a single McGwire, Clemens, or Puckett.

I thought I would post scans of the best conditioned cards. Some of the 1986's are very low pop. The Sanderson is a pop 1 and has a great chance at a 10 (spot next to "C" in Cubs is a speck of dust). The Clark and Hoffman are pop zero. They are razor sharp, but the centering will mostly likely keep them out of a 10 holder. I posted them anyway.

The 86 Gary Carter has a pop of less than 10. The last PSA 10 sold for over $200. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The last three cards scanned (81 Bench, 83 Dawson, and 84 Ripken) did not come from BBCE. They came from sets that I own.

All corners are GEM MINT under magnification.

Let me know what you guys think.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    86 Topps Carter is about $200 in a 10.
  • Options
    Nice cards and scans!

I would hold off on the Mattingly, Whitt, Sanderson, Clark and Bench if you're going for 10s. Go for it with the rest.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice cards and scans!

I would hold off on the Mattingly, Whitt, Sanderson, Clark and Bench if you're going for 10s. Go for it with the rest.

Thanks for sharing. >>

The Whitt is a pop 1, I think. So is the Sanderson (the flaw is a speck of dust). The Clark is a pop zero. That is the only reason I am considering those.

Does the Mattingly have a shot at a 9?

Shane

• Options
    SHARP SHARP SHARP cards!

was there a Gooden in the 85? Centering is fantastic on those 85s
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice cards and scans!

Thanks for sharing. >>

The Whitt is a pop 1, I think. So is the Sanderson (the flaw is a speck of dust). The Clark is a pop zero. That is the only reason I am considering those.

Does the Mattingly have a shot at a 9? >>

In that case I would send them all in. You have a very good eye sir.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>SHARP SHARP SHARP cards!

was there a Gooden in the 85? Centering is fantastic on those 85s >>

Thanks.

There was one Gooden in the vending box. It was a little o/c probably and 8 or 9.

Shane

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Love me some 84 Topps. The Diaz card is nice. Need to get that one graded.
  • Options
    Beautiful cards, thanks for sharing
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 84 Ryno is nice image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Nice picks and pics!
  • Options
    The older I get, the more the '85 Topps design grows on me. No idea why. Those look great! I would imagine that Ripken AS brings you a pretty nice return if it pulls a 10?
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    1985 Topps were the first cards I collected growing up. Great design. i think they are very colorful, especially like the phillies.

Notice how thin everyone is. Weren't most of the stars, 180 lbs-190? A "big guy" was someone like Brian Downing. The pitchers sure seemed thin, like Saberhagen and Hershiser.