Home Precious Metals

3.75 oz johnson matthey gold 10 tolas...5525 ? is that a good price?

ive heard there rare and hard to find, a guy on e bay i been goin back and forth with has set his final price at $5525 shipped.. I thought it was a tad too much , but also hear there hard to come by.. any input on this particular piece and the high premium its said to be bringing??

listed as ..** 10 TOLAS ** SCARCE POURED JOHNSON MATTHEY LONDON old Bar 3.75 oz

item number 331025847460

any input??
collector of gold and silver bullion..Owner of "aaa trash be gone" buffalo ny
references for completed transactions : smittys , guitarwes , vetter, JamesM , durexmetals, luke marshall ,perry hall, indiananationals,tamu15 , freechance , wdrob, jimineez1

Comments

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are available at Apmex for about $100 less (check or bank wire) and just a tad more than the price you note if you use a credit card.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always try to consider resell down the road on such pieces. For that reason, I'd pass on this even at a lower price. Authenticity and actual gold content (not bar weight) would concern me, so I have to assume it would concern my future buyers when it came time to sell, particularly when they can buy certified gold cheaper. The easier it is to counterfeit something of high value, the greater the odds that it may not be real. This is not something I would buy off ebay unless I knew my seller.

This appears to be something for the serious collector and I would expect a serious collector to take the precautions of knowing he is getting what he is paying for. That in itself requires more costs.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always try to consider resell down the road on such pieces. For that reason, I'd pass on this even at a lower price. Authenticity and actual gold content (not bar weight) would concern me, so I have to assume it would concern my future buyers when it came time to sell, particularly when they can buy certified gold cheaper. The easier it is to counterfeit something of high value, the greater the odds that it may not be real. This is not something I would buy off ebay unless I knew my seller.

This appears to be something for the serious collector and I would expect a serious collector to take the precautions of knowing he is getting what he is paying for. That in itself requires more costs. >>

This. It'd be fun to own, but even I as the owner would question its authenticity, resale value, etc.

If you have a collection of esoteric gold bars and are buying simply for their enjoyment, have at it (but use extreme caution).

If you are buying gold for any other reason (inflation hedge, SHTF, long term planning, etc), then stay the heck away from something this obscure.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • i love jm and engelhard gold.. i like the older poured bars, harder to find, i havent sold much in the past 10 yrs, i traded a bit here n there..

if i bought it id hold it for quite a while id guess, im leanin toward apmex buy , if i do it now that i know they have them, and cheaper..

and im guessing there guarenteed authentic if from apmex???
    collector of gold and silver bullion..Owner of "aaa trash be gone" buffalo ny
    references for completed transactions : smittys , guitarwes , vetter, JamesM , durexmetals, luke marshall ,perry hall, indiananationals,tamu15 , freechance , wdrob, jimineez1
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have told the story here about the gold collector we used to have before I retired who collected gold bars that were different. His collection totaled about 3,800 ounces.

When gold broke $1,000 he decided to cash out for a variety of reasons. We brokered the deal for him. The common 100, 200, 250, 500 and 1,000 gram bars went straight to the smelter, but I tried to sell the more interesting stuff, such as the 10 Tola bars, for 101% of melt to keep them out of the furnace. Couldn't move them. Everybody was afraid that gold was going to drop back to $500-$600.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day, you must remember how many ounces it contains ... and when the time comes for you to sell, will your buyer care that it says johnson matthey?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    Kinda neat, but personally I wouldn't buy a piece of that type. Odd size, weight not noted in oz on the bar, weight above 1 oz. The only saving grace is that it had the JM brand name on it.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have told the story here about the gold collector we used to have before I retired who collected gold bars that were different. His collection totaled about 3,800 ounces.

When gold broke $1,000 he decided to cash out for a variety of reasons. We brokered the deal for him. The common 100, 200, 250, 500 and 1,000 gram bars went straight to the smelter, but I tried to sell the more interesting stuff, such as the 10 Tola bars, for 101% of melt to keep them out of the furnace. Couldn't move them. Everybody was afraid that gold was going to drop back to $500-$600.

TD >>

and on the flip side, had he waited til 1700+ he would have melted nothing & sold everything like hotcakes...
    keceph `anah
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At the end of the day, you must remember how many ounces it contains ... and when the time comes for you to sell, will your buyer care that it says johnson matthey? >>

i would like to think most, if not all serious buyers have a scale...
    keceph `anah
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>At the end of the day, you must remember how many ounces it contains ... and when the time comes for you to sell, will your buyer care that it says johnson matthey? >>

i would like to think most, if not all serious buyers have a scale... >>

Yup. And my cell phone has a calculator so figuring it's melt value should be very easy. Also, anyone that buys precious metals will know the Johnson Matthey name which is well recognized and well respected.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

LOL no guys, I think you misunderstood my comment ... I didn't mean he would have to literally remember the no. of oz (as if he would forget or not have access to scale or calculator) ...

The OP asks if that was a good price. My reply was meant to imply "no" because the price-per-oz is too high (IMO). Odd sizes and famous names are nice but at the end of the day, you must *keep in mind* how many ounces it contains because that's all that really matters in price. Again, IMO.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL no guys, I think you misunderstood my comment ... I didn't mean he would have to literally remember the no. of oz (as if he would forget or not have access to scale or calculator) ...

The OP asks if that was a good price. My reply was meant to imply "no" because the price-per-oz is too high (IMO). Odd sizes and famous names are nice but at the end of the day, you must *keep in mind* how many ounces it contains because that's all that really matters in price. Again, IMO. >>

This is an excellent point. Paying a premium for an odd size and a famous name comes with the risk that it may be very difficult to get that premium back at some future date when it comes time to sell.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If ever you needed the gold to survive, heaven forbid, then the name on the bar means nothing.

Gold is gold.

Names are for collectors only.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of us have large "collections" of precious metal that would take significant time and effort and cost to "market" to get the premium back out... Dumped all at once, it will get weighed as metal, and some of the esoteric items might even get discounted.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Murphy's Law … it's highly collectible until you try to liquidate …
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE