Home Sports Talk
Options

Robinson Cano is out of his mind

$305 million? No salary cap needed

Comments

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>$305 million? No salary cap needed >>

First round of negotiation, shoot for the moon. He's the most highly coveted free agent in a number of years, and the yankees have very deep pockets. What I see ultimately happening is his getting a 10 year, 250-275 million deal, and if it's not the yankees, there's several other teams that would pony up the cash. You don't think the Dodgers with their unlimited money wouldn't salivate to lure Cano to LA and replace Punto and whomever else they have at second?

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    That is insane
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    This has more to do with his new agent than Cano himself. Although I do agree that some team will give up the cash but probably more in the $260-280 million range. You would think the Yankees and many other teams (hello Angels) would have learned by now how well long term mega deals work out.
  • Options

<< <i>This has more to do with his new agent than Cano himself. Although I do agree that some team will give up the cash but probably more in the $260-280 million range. You would think the Yankees and many other teams (hello Angels) would have learned by now how well long term mega deals work out. >>

The agents work for the clients and its their job to be the 'bad guys' in negotiation...but make no mistake it's Cano making this demand.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish somehow someway Baseball would bankrupt itself and these stupid contracts would be unpayable.

I know its not ever going to happen but I seriously wish it would
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This has more to do with his new agent than Cano himself. Although I do agree that some team will give up the cash but probably more in the $260-280 million range. You would think the Yankees and many other teams (hello Angels) would have learned by now how well long term mega deals work out. >>

The agents work for the clients and its their job to be the 'bad guys' in negotiation...but make no mistake it's Cano making this demand. >>

Guess you are unaware of who his agent is
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He's the most highly coveted free agent in a number of years >>

Is he really more coveted than Albert Pujols was just 2 years ago? Somehow I doubt it.

Either way, he ain't worth a 10-year contract and he's not worth $30m/year either.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The agents work for the clients and its their job to be the 'bad guys' in negotiation...but make no mistake it's Cano making this demand. >>

Guess you are unaware of who his agent is >>

If you honestly think his agent alone is making this demand, and Cano isn't the one pushing it, then it's clearly you who is unaware. I wonder if you know who his agent is? I didn't know anything about him (here's a hint: it's not Jay Z):

"Since Opening Day 2011, CAA has negotiated more than $1.1 billion in contracts, including eight deals of $50 million or more (Buster Posey, Ryan Braun, Matt Cain, Zimmerman, Adam Jones, Andre Ethier, John Danks and Mark Buehrle.) The four contracts worth $100 million or more (Posey, Braun, Cain and Zimmerman) are more than any other agency.[7]

In April 2013, as part of a joint venture between CAA and Roc Nation, Van Wagenen became the baseball agent for Cano, the New York Yankees All-Star second baseman. According to ESPN New York, “CAA is an experienced baseball group, so Cano will have an agent who knows what he is doing in Brodie Van Wagenen."

<< <i>Is he really more coveted than Albert Pujols was just 2 years ago? Somehow I doubt it. >>

Yes, because who outside the Angels was really pursuing Pujols? Cano plays a premium position (there are far more quality first basemen than at second) and while the $305/10 year deal won't happen, he will be north of $250 million.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    As a Dodger fan I hope we keep our checkbook put away on this one!
  • Options

<< <i>As a Dodger fan I hope we keep our checkbook put away on this one! >>

Why? Wouldn't he be a huge upgrade for the Dodgers? As far as cost goes, its obvious ownership has no ceiling on payroll, so its not like this albatross of a contract would hamper the team in the future.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    He is not that much better than Pedroia, he is just greedy and he probably wants to get away from the Yankees now anyway as they are going

to be rebuilding for a couple of years.

I don't understand these guys.

You would think they would want to play where the are going to be happy.

How much money can they spend in their lifetime?

That's what Pedroia did.
  • Options
    I could see him worth $15mil/yr if Pedroia is only getting $13.75mil..... Pedroia has an MVP and personally I think he is a much better all-around player. If a team really wants a bargain, Omar Infante is a FA and will probably not be asking half Cano's asking..... I hope the Tigers can re-sign him. I think Cano is figuring in his big toothy smile and whatever "Yankee swagger" is worth with that price...
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    My guess is 7 years, $175 Mil.
  • Options

<< <i>My guess is 7 years, $175 Mil. >>

That's a clown contract, bro!! Almost TWICE what Pedroia gets??
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cano is a much better player than Pedroia. Multiple gold gloves and three seasons of 140 or higher OPS+ in the last 4 years. Pedroia isn't on that level as a hitter.