Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

What would YOU do? OGH but the online data doesn't match ...

I recently purchased a lovely Israel coin in super-cool OGH for my Israel Prutah registry set. I'm not talking the regular run-of-the-mill OGH, either. This baby is the dark green old-school holder! But there's a problem ...

The online data is all messed up. The label is totally fine. Matches the coin perfectly. BUT when I enter the cert# on PCGS.com, I get the wrong country, wrong year, wrong type, wrong denomination - everything that comes up is totally wrong! even the grade is mismatched.

- I emailed PCGS for help to get their online info fixed
- two months later, I finally got a reply; about someone else's coin
- a week or so after that, I got another reply saying that I needed to mail them my slab for resubmission, and oh BTW they "might" need to re-slab the coin to give the label a new cert#

Why can't they just fix the online info?!? wouldn't that be A LOT EASIER than mailing the coin to/forth, cracking the slab and writing off the cost of a new one, plus the labor hours involved?

My registry set will not be complete without this coin. And yet, I really love the old green holder. Damn.
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send them a picture of both sides showing all details clearly. Keep the old holder
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    I've heard there is a problem with the database for some OGH coins. If you send it to them, they will reslab it with a new number; thus, unless you don't mind giving up the OGH, don't send it in.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Send them a picture of both sides showing all details clearly. Keep the old holder >>

That was the first thing I did. This was their reply. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly, the OGH is worth more to me than all the trouble to get it fixed.

Dennis
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a coin in a first generation holder that I submitted for grading in 1988. It was graded MS65, but when I finally had the ability to check their database (around 2001), it appeared as PR65. I've made no effort to have them correct it, and don't think there'll be a problem when I sell it. The coin is accurately graded, and I'd rather leave it in the holder as a reminder of my first submission to PCGS.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Happened to me with a Walker. PCGS offered to re-holder for free. I just kept it in the green holder. Oh well.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another idea...

Wait for a national show where PCGS will have a booth. Take the coin and speak to Cosetta in person. Show her the coin. PCGS always has a computer there for public use, and show her personally the mistake. See if she can assist you as far as getting the coin fixed TECHNICALLY rather then fixing the coin PHYSICALLY, that way you can keep the holder. If she cannot help you in any way, then stick the coin in ur pocket and enjoy the show.

Paul.

Later, Paul.