Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Restoration Recommended PCGS Proof 67 DCAM

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was also one of the 'lucky' ones to receive a sticker...on an 8 reales with a nice ink chop. image
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I got three in the last submission. All South Africa proofs from 1952 with lacquer.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    W. T. F.

If I ever receive a sticker like this on one of my slabs I'm going to call and rip whomever answers the phone a new one. If they want to advertise they can mail me a postcard. Or, even better, they can call me before they slab the coin and try up-selling.

How many people do they expect will resubmit immediately after receiving their fresh newly-graded slabs in the mail? I would guess none. Especially with 67DCAM on the label.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>W. T. F.

If I ever receive a sticker like this on one of my slabs I'm going to call and rip whomever answers the phone a new one. If they want to advertise they can mail me a postcard. Or, even better, they can call me before they slab the coin and try up-selling.

How many people do they expect will resubmit immediately after receiving their fresh newly-graded slabs in the mail? I would guess none. Especially with 67DCAM on the label. >>

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    These actually shipped in a soft plastic holder and it might have PVC residue. It'll turn hazy, then purple and eventually damage the coin. Perhaps that is what they are referring to?
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    If I ever receive a sticker like this on one of my slabs I'm going to call and rip whomever answers the phone a new one.

Why would you get offended by a business (PCGS) acting like a business (trying to increase revenue)? If you don't like the sticker, just peel it off and forget about it.

I used the PCGS Restoration service on two coins, and am extremely pleased with the results. I was going to post them here, but perhaps they deserve their own thread.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I have the same issue with PCGS as with NGC. If they think a coin needs to be conserved they should call me before grading and see if I want to do it. If so I'll pay the extra money. But to expect I'll send it back in for another extremely high grading fee is beyond me. And if it was PVC they wouldn't grade it, otherwise they are on the hook for the grade when it turns.
  • Options

<< <i>Why would you get offended by a business (PCGS) acting like a business (trying to increase revenue)? If you don't like the sticker, just peel it off and forget about it. >>

I plan on using the service myself. But I do not think that moment is the appropriate time to solicit this service.

When I am planning a submission, and filling out the forms; that is the appropriate time. And they have already given me the opportunity to choose and advertised on their websites/forms that they offer this service.

When they receive my coins and prepare to grade them, that is perhaps the most appropriate time. Instead of proceeding with the grade, they could contact me via phone or email as provided on my form, and say "we recommend this coin enter the restoration service before being graded."

But after they've taken my money and slabbed the coin, to then slap me in the face with a sticker and say "we want you to pay us even more money to crack out and slab it AGAIN now that it's too late" is ridiculous and poor marketing strategy.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well it helps if you don't know coins that well - and its pointed out that THIS one might do well at restoration etc.

Just ignore it otherwise - it is a biz - I mean our hosts are doin what they need to get biz - doesn't mean one has to totally agree....

I'd be pis--d if the sticker left any marks .
  • Options
    Since the sticker is obviously added after the coin has been slabbed, one must wonder who makes the decision to add it. Do the graders decide? Or, once the coin has left their hands and gone through the entire process, is the decision left to an intern or secretary (whomever is in charge of physically packing the coins and mailing off to customers)?

If the graders are deciding to sticker, and maybe making some checks or dog-ears on their grading notes, so the sticker can be applied after slabbing, then why not just contact the customer at the time of their decision? It doesn't have to slow down the grading process. They can just set the order aside until a certain number of day(s) has passed for the customer to reply, meanwhile they can proceed with other orders. It would save the customer a lot of money and hassle and likely some anxiety, too (who would not feel anxiety after receiving their long-awaited grades only to have this sticker staring back at them?)
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were running PCGS, I would not have my highly-paid graders slow down to evaluate the conservation potential of each coin, especially because conservation may not be within their realm of expertise. Instead, I would have my conservation team evaluate the coins.

The more difficult question is, should the conservation team do this before the graders see the coins, or after? And my answer would be that given the potential for complaints that the conservation team harmed the coin, it's best to grade the coin and show it to the customer (in the holder) before any conservation is attempted. That way, there can be no post-conservation second-guessing and complaints about what the coin would have graded if left alone.

As for the fees, consider that if the coin is to be graded both before and after conservation, it will cost PCGS twice as much to get the job done.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    As usual, Andy makes a very good point. There's a silver lining somewhere among the two options. The way that PCGS decided to do it, saves them from a lot of unnecessary trouble. As for the customer, he doesn't have to send one or two coins back in straight away, nor is he forced to. It's up to him to determine if the consideration for restoration has any meaning, wether to improve the eye appeal or even the grade of the coin, then wait till he has enough coins to send in for restoration, to make the submission cost effective. And with the grade guarantee, he won't lose any sleep at night.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Body bag the coin. If there are problems then the coins should not be graded period. If there are problems with the coin, besides the obvious appearance due to toning, then the coin should be sent back ungraded.

-Dan