Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ANyone bid at Goldbergs today? Couple of NEWPS

After being shut out in August and in the UK last week I was finally able to overpay for a few coins I wanted.

1752 Lubeck Dreiling in gold, unc. details but a very scarce piece and this is the only one I thought I got cheap:

1812 Great Britain 1/6 (18 pence) token, this is the armored bust version in 65:

1812 same coin but the bare bust version in 66:

And a modern for my type set, 1936 Florin in 66 which I thought was pretty:

There weren't a huge number of coins in this sale, prices seemed on the reasonable side, I think because there were so few high grade pieces. In the British at least there were quite a large number of decent coins but mostly in VF-AU grades, I think most of the high rollers decided just to wait for the Heritage sale tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got crushed. Very nice purchases Jeff!
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Very nice off metal Dreiling. I like image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job Jeff!
    Blew my wad on a single DNW coin!

OK, I'm lazy, but it appeared there was no live internet bidding on current lots? Is this right or am I wrong?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    There is live bidding, but you need a really fast connection for it to work. I can do it from home but not from work. I think all the spyware the company puts in our system slows it down so much it's trying to constantly reconnect to their server. I bid on the Dreiling from home with no problem last night, but just had to leave bids for today because I had checked at work yesterday and the system wouldn't stay connected.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Not me, but nice newps!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem with speed and bidding. I was fine at home, but when I went out and used my phone (3/5 bars), I actually missed the bids on a couple of lots and ended up bidding on the lot behind one of the lots that I wanted. I was pleased to see that I was quickly outbid on that one.
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>After being shut out in August and in the UK last week I was finally able to overpay for a few coins I wanted.

There weren't a huge number of coins in this sale, prices seemed on the reasonable side, I think because there were so few high grade pieces. In the British at least there were quite a large number of decent coins but mostly in VF-AU grades, I think most of the high rollers decided just to wait for the Heritage sale tomorrow. >>

I'm not sure what to say about this one, so I'll throw it all into the ring. I took it out of the collection in April and sold it on as a good EF because of the wear to the high points. An attractive coin, but not quite there. The purchaser got it slabbed and put into the Goldberg sale. He did mention that NGC seemed to be all over the place with the grades of what he submitted, with an expected unc coming back as AU53 too, so at odds with others' perceptions all round. For the record, I bought the bank token off Jeffrey Zarit in 2004.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice lot Jeff. I really like the design on the obverse of the 18 pence armored bust token.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>After being shut out in August and in the UK last week I was finally able to overpay for a few coins I wanted.

There weren't a huge number of coins in this sale, prices seemed on the reasonable side, I think because there were so few high grade pieces. In the British at least there were quite a large number of decent coins but mostly in VF-AU grades, I think most of the high rollers decided just to wait for the Heritage sale tomorrow. >>

I'm not sure what to say about this one, so I'll throw it all into the ring. I took it out of the collection in April and sold it on as a good EF because of the wear to the high points. An attractive coin, but not quite there. The purchaser got it slabbed and put into the Goldberg sale. He did mention that NGC seemed to be all over the place with the grades of what he submitted, with an expected unc coming back as AU53 too, so at odds with others' perceptions all round. For the record, I bought the bank token off Jeffrey Zarit in 2004. >>

Rob, are you insinuating that this might be your coin? I was actually looking at both 1812s and it looks as if the armored bust has a much better strike than the above bare bust, but I might be mistaken by the toning or the image.

All in all, you've blown us away Jeff. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm not sure what to say about this one, so I'll throw it all into the ring. I took it out of the collection in April and sold it on as a good EF because of the wear to the high points. An attractive coin, but not quite there. The purchaser got it slabbed and put into the Goldberg sale. He did mention that NGC seemed to be all over the place with the grades of what he submitted, with an expected unc coming back as AU53 too, so at odds with others' perceptions all round. For the record, I bought the bank token off Jeffrey Zarit in 2004. >>

Rob, are you insinuating that this might be your coin? I was actually looking at both 1812s and it looks as if the armored bust has a much better strike than the above bare bust, but I might be mistaken by the toning or the image.

All in all, you've blown us away Jeff. image >>

It was my coin. No might about it. I can post an image if you need evidence.
  • Options
    Doesn't really matter where it was before, I like it so it has a home for the next 20 years (hopefully I make it that long).
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Well, we'll never tell the true grade from an image, but this is all the more reason I have my eye on a condo on Siesta Key in 3-4 years................sounds like NGC could use a good grade finaliser. imageimage
  • Options
    I prefer not to get into pissing matches about who thinks what a coin grades, and any other number of arcane matters.

I had a friend I trust look at them at the preview, he liked them, I liked them, so I bought them. I've had GEF coins from top dealers in the UK grade anywhere from AU58-MS66 so I'm not surprised at all. I've also bought a cracked out previously NGC PF64 19th C. British coin from a UK dealer I think highly of, resubmitted it a year later, and it came back PF64, again. So at least they show some level of consistency.

In any case now they'll be put away, never to darken an auction house again, until I'm gone at least.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Amen, selah! Good for you image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

1752 Lubeck Dreiling in gold, unc. details but a very scarce piece and this is the only one I thought I got cheap:

It might be Details, but that is a very nice looking Gold piece, and I don't go for gold pieces very often.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pieces/wins - cngrats!!! image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins regardless Jeff. Glad you are steadily adding to a lovely developing collection.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.