Home Sports Talk

Most Disappointing MLB Team 2013?

As the season winds down, which team had the most disappointing year?

The Nationals, who shut down Strasburg to make a deeper run this year, only to run the entire year out of seriously contending?
The Blue Jays, who acquired tons of talent, only to not get any more wins?
The Angels, who have continued to struggle despite spending more than just 6 other teams?

Personally I'd say the Nationals...such high hopes and they just never made a serious run, which shows just how fleeting years like last year really can be.

Comments

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Home team bias aside, without question it has to be the Giants. Repeating as champions is difficult and unlikely to begin with but nobody imagined in the last week of the season they would be well under .500 and fighting all they can just to stay out of the NL West basement A distant 2nd would be the Washington Nationals. Many expected them to have a 100+ win season.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • The Blue Jays didn't surprise me. A similar cast of characters didn't work in Miami, so why would it all of a sudden work in the AL East??

The Giants and Nationals are my pick for this one.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Gotta be the Nationals. "We'll be in contention every year, so even though there is no scientific evidence to suggest we should shut down our best pitcher, we're going to pretend we are really smart and save his arm for next year"

Nothing is guaranteed, you have to maximize your opportunities when they are presented to you. That move was nothing short of moronic.
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    The Giants didn't surprise me all that much. When you keep the exact same cast of characters, especially after one of your front line starters (Lincecum) played so poorly last year, you're going to have a long year.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My personal first place vote goes to the Nats.
    Remember all the pre-season talk about just handing over the American League East title to the Jays? Ha!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely the Nationals, imo, with Jays a distant second. Only because Nats had golden opportunity last year and blew it assuming they'd be back again this season. Ask Dan Marino about second chances for championship seasons.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.