Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1990 Pro Set Final Update Question

Anyone know about #772, Dexter Manley? What is the story behind this card? I have a sealed set. Is there a way of knowing without opening?

Comments

• dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Try this guy. I have his e-mail address as well, PM if you don't get an answer and want to get in touch with him.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know about #772, Dexter Manley? What is the story behind this card? I have a sealed set. Is there a way of knowing without opening? >>

If I remember correctly, his agent/lawyers had issue with the mention of his substance abuse issues and had the text removed very early in the run where something less than 100 or so got released. I think there's 4 other variations as they corrected the text.

I don't know of any way to tell which version without opening, I just keep busting them hoping for gold.

Might check with jacksoncoupage (sp?) on these boards. His Junk Wax Gems site is full of error/variation info. List of variations from there:

#772a Dexter Manley (mentions substance abuse problems on the back of the card) ****

#772b Dexter Manley (does not mention substance abuse, ” Backwards t ” in the word “photo” on back) ***

#772c Dexter Manley (does not mention substance abuse, black line printed over team/name bar and photo) ***

#772d Dexter Manley (does not mention substance abuse, black line removed from front, missing bio data on back)***?

#772e Dexter Manley (does not mention substance abuse, black line removed from front whiteout “involved” in text) ***
    I guess if a card is rare enough, the Gem Mint grade/Pop 1 doesn't carry much of a premium: Manley Error

If I remember correctly, this card typically sells for around $700 raw.
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Kyle: the site doesn't list any known errors or printing variations with the Tippett card. Do you know of any?
    Nope, I haven't heard of any Tippett variations in that set.
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422

<< <i>Nope, I haven't heard of any Tippett variations in that set. >>

Thanks goodness! Lol