Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New (to me) bodybag code.

Sent-in a coin for cross-over and it didn't cross with a 98 code and description "Smoothed - AU Details".

Anyone know what "smoothing" is?

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    It is where corrosion or pitting has been removed by grinding or removing the affected surfaces and smoothing the surface to level. I think that there is a site somewhere in my links that describes the process, but I will have to find it.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen it before and I thought it referred to whizzing. I looked at the list of codes and whizzing falls under the "surfaces tooled" category, so I guess not. Or maybe it's a more specific description of that.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Per the NGC website.

SMOOTHING is akin to Tooling (see below), but it is used when the exact means of achieving the described effect is unknown.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Per the NGC website.

SMOOTHING is akin to Tooling (see below), but it is used when the exact means of achieving the described effect is unknown. >>

Great. And I still don't think there's anything wrong with it.
  • Options
    Don't tell me it's a really nice 8 reales!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't tell me it's a really nice 8 reales! >>

It sure is image I'll let it reside in an NGC AU55 tomb for the time being.

• Options
    Bummer! My observation is that PCGS has been super tough on the AU 8 reales over the past few weeks. Still scratching my head on a couple but hey, they're the experts.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Whatever it is, it ain't good. IMO if PCGS thinks it was doctored than everyone else will, too. Sorry bub.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stock is down from its recent highs despite daily hype from Cramer on the street.com. Gotta work to get those (re)submissions up!